Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - U-turns?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

U-turns?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ansalmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: U-turns? Reply with quote

A question about the iGo software (though the version running on the Mio C710, if that makes any difference)....

I've unchecked "u-turns" as a preference in my routing options, but the software still keeps trying to make me take them when attempting to recalculate a route. As an example, I decided to stray off-route on one journey and was told to take a right turn at the point where a dual carriageway turned back into a single carriageway. There was no official turning point here, so that looks like a U-turn to me. I've also been asked to turn left off-route, then essentially double-back on myself and retrace my route - again this appears to be a U-turn to me.

I've tried all types of route calculation (including the hidden "easy" one) and they all seem to use U-turns in their recalculation despite me unchecking that in the preferences. Anyone know why, or know how to tell it to really, really not do U-turns? Confused

I have noticed that the route recalculation seems to be desparate to get me back on the original route, rather than making a new one and letting me continue onwards. This is the opposite impression to that I had with my previous Garmin C310, which always seemed to keep the flow of the journey going.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: U-turns? Reply with quote

ansalmo wrote:
A question about the iGo software (though the version running on the Mio C710, if that makes any difference)....

I've unchecked "u-turns" as a preference in my routing options, but the software still keeps trying to make me take them when attempting to recalculate a route. As an example, I decided to stray off-route on one journey and was told to take a right turn at the point where a dual carriageway turned back into a single carriageway. There was no official turning point here, so that looks like a U-turn to me. I've also been asked to turn left off-route, then essentially double-back on myself and retrace my route - again this appears to be a U-turn to me.

I've tried all types of route calculation (including the hidden "easy" one) and they all seem to use U-turns in their recalculation despite me unchecking that in the preferences. Anyone know why, or know how to tell it to really, really not do U-turns? Confused

I believe what they mean by a u-turn is a three point turn in a single carriageway road.

If you look in section 5.4.4.4 iof the iGO help file or section 6.3.3.4 of the MioMap help file it states:
Turning back on dual carriageways is not considered as a u-turn.

Regards

Roger
ansalmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: U-turns? Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
If you look in section 5.4.4.4 iof the iGO help file or section 6.3.3.4 of the MioMap help file it states:
Turning back on dual carriageways is not considered as a u-turn.

I had read that, but had assumed it was talking about leaving a dual carriageway on a sliproad, taking the underpass/overpass, and then rejoining on the opposite slip.

It's rather disappointing, as (probably psychologically) I prefer to keep making forward progress and have the route recalculated ahead of me, rather than effectively having to stop and double-back on myself. Sad
ansalmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and forgot to mention - the left turn I referred to in my original post was down some crusty little side road where I would probably have to have made a 3-point turn to get back out. Definitely a U-turn.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opposite problem with U turns in so far as it would always recalculate a new route rather than give a U turn, even though I had U Turns selected.
The problem I had was fixed by changuing the U Turn penalty setting from 1700 yards (almost a mile) to to 500 yards. It seems that the U Turn penalty, is telling the software how far extra you would travel to avoid a U Turn (This is with the MIOMAP 3.2) version of Igo. The setting is in 'Route Options'. To avoid U Turns, try increasing this setting.
Even with U Turns selected, the software will eventually give up trying to make you U Turn, (provided that you are going in more or less the right direction) when the 'new' route is shorter that the 'old' route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: