Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Licences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Licences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Licences Reply with quote

Afternoon all.

I looked at another thread about ownership of licences etc. but it didn't seem to answer my particular question. So, in case some clever clogs finds a better match through 'SEARCH' ................ Sorry.

Some time ago I bought TT Nav5 and UK map, then when they released TT Nav6 with the 'new' maps in December 2006 I bought that. Surely I have purchased 2 licences.

My question is can I legally use both versions on seperate devices?

Tom Tom support say that when I bought TTN6 my TTN5 was deactivated, and although it could still legally be reactivated on the last device it was used on, it cannot be installed and activated on a new device as the licence has effectively been transferred. Are they right?

Any legal whizzkids out there?

Mike
pharmamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on whether you bought TT6 or upgraded to it from TT5. If you bought it, you have two licences. If you upgraded, you have one.

Mike
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, but I thought when we bought the 'new' maps we were getting the latest version software 'free'.

I didn't think it was an upgrade. I understood it was buy a new map and get version 6. Don't forget the new maps wouldn't have worked with TTN5.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SpikeyMikey,

Did you just buy maps in December 2006, or did you buy a full retail copy that included the TomTom Navigator program and the map(s)?

If you bought the full retail copy of TTNav6 then I reckon that you have two licenses, one for TTNav 5 and one for TTNav 6.

If you bought just the maps then that might potentially be seen as an upgrade because didn’t maps downloaded in December 2006 have a 20% discount? So that might be seen as an upgrade. However I’m not a lawyer.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert,

I bought the map which came with TTN6 'free'. Surely this would have worked 'straight out of the box' so to speak. I'm assuming that anyone visiting the TomTom website could have bought this, downloaded it onto an SD card and activated it.

You maybe correct which is why I'm asking the question.

I'm just taking the 'simple' approach and assuming I have purchased two seperate products.

There must be others that have had this problem

Mike
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might well be a loophole in TomToms licencing strategy. On this site constant references are made to "the software is free, you only pay for the maps" but the licencing agreement clearly does not support this. What is true is that the serial number enforcement is done on a map by map basis and the maps CAN be bought seperately but I believe that these are intended as an accessory - you must already have a licensed copy of the software and at least one map.

If you wish to move the TTN5 to another device this is probably academic. If you need an activation code from TomTom and you cannot get it from ttcodes then TomTom support will not give you one - as an organisation they give NOTHING away.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your unlock code locks the maps (not the TomTom application) to a specific PDA device. However the TT application without any licensed maps is as much use as a chocolate fire poker - so it is a moot point if the application is free or not (but TomTom did use the word free to describe TT navigator 6 app downloaded with the map upgrade to V660). I downloaded this back in January and I believed it to be an upgrade of the maps at the time, according to the web site.

Now you can try to run your TT5 app on another device with the old maps and see what happens - you will need to get a new unlock code from ttcode in any event - unless you have already run it on the device in question. If it is refused then TomTom have probably disabled your license for the old maps.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more (confusing?) information...

I just logged into My Products on TomTom.com and it is showing me with the code for TT6 with 660 maps - activated Jan this year AND the codes for my previous version of the maps. There is sufficient information for me to do a manual unlock of the old maps onto my PDA (but not a new one obviously). As I had moved the TT5 / old maps from an old iPaq to an AXIM during 2006 (March) it would appear that I would still be able to put TT5 with the old maps back onto the iPaq as the codes for this are also being displayed. So was/is it an 'upgrade' - I do seem to recall the word upgrade - but confusingly people use upgrade and update interchangeably - which they shouldn't be when discussing these things.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: