Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMitchelin x980T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMitchelin x980T
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: ViaMitchelin x980T Reply with quote

I have only had a day or so of playing with this device, but all I can say is I love it! :P

It was a little more expensive than my Navman 530 when I first brought that (with the T1 add on) but the device itself feels well made and worth the money paid for it.
The mount for the screen first had me baffled as to how it fitted as the connector was upside down, until I realised the connection at the bottom rotated. Fitting to the screen is very easy as well. Just place on the screen and twist the ball the other side and it tightens onto the screen and holds very secure!. To release, just unscrew.
Releasing the GPS from the holder is very easy as well, just press a button the on back and lift up!
I seem to be talking a lot about the screen holder, but for good reason as it's such a good device in itself. Once attached the GPS is powered through the holder as it's powering an amplified speaking in the holder.
I have yet to try it on a motorway, but when driving around having a conversation while driving was hard when the GPS announced instructions as it literally shouted over us. But that's a good thing Wink
Without the powered speaker it would be hard to hear in the car (but this just means you can use it while walking).

Onto the device itself.

What you have is;

4.3" Split screen showing the next junction with 3D or 2D map, this is handy as it clearly indicates the exit off a roundabout.
If you want you can select either a standard 3D / 2D map or the PacMan like display.

Text to Speech - Announces Street Names and Traffic information. Has been very clear on lots of street names but some it seems to struggle with and they come out as simply Ummm. (we think it's just trying to pretend it knows the name) I think this must be an error in the map data rather than the Text to Speech Engine.

Bluetooth connection for your mobile, so you only need 1 device (yet to find out what happens if your on the phone and it needs to give you an instruction).

Traffic Information - Tunes to classic FM for the TMC information and places icons on the screen. Even uses a coloured triangle system to indicate traffic congestion.

Free Speed coded Fixed Camera alerts - Comes with France preinstalled but once registered you can download and import UK data for fixed cameras. Because these are speed coded it clearly announces the speed and indicates on screen the speed. It also appears aware of the cars speed and adjusts when the warning is given.

Mitchelin Guides - Fantastic array of information from the Hotel and Tourist site guides. (Updates will be available from May)
When searching for POI you can select where you want to search and on things such as Petrol Stations specify of you only want 24 hour Petrol stations shown. (One huge Plus I found is unlike the Navman my local petrol station which has been there for 20 years + is actually marked in the correct place. On both the Navman 520 and 530 the station was always marked a few miles out of town where a Windmill is located.)

I was also surprised to find lots of local shops and take aways listed which are not part of any big chain.

Routing Options - Car / Bike / Walking / Mitchelin Recommended (something about the route being designed for Safety and comfort?)

Route Planning, unlike either of the Navman's planning can be done even without a GPS fix as you can specify departure points or pinpoint on the map by the stylus or GPS co-ordinates.
This is found in the 'Plan a Journey' part

I find this device fantastic and so much better than either Navman I had in the past. Just filled in all the paperwork for the Free Map Update offer and just waiting for April when other ViaMitchelin updates will come along Smile

I have a big trip to Anlwick next week so I will hopefully give and update on how it does.

So far I only have a few slight gripes about the device and that is the Interface takes some getting used too and importing the Speed Camera information is confusing as the Website forgets to tell you to download the files into the Programs folder on the PC.

The interface has two different planning modes and it wasn't until much later did I realise that 'Navigate' is for a quick plan and go and 'Plan a Journey' gives your more options such as route summary and stopping points.

Also don't expect much help from the Manual. You will learn much better with just playing with the device.

I would highly recommend this GPS to anyone looking for something a little extra from a GPS unit. Easydevices have a fantastic offer on until the end of Saturday.

Just going to order myself one of the deluxe cases for the device as I want to keep it protected.

If I was to rate this, I would say 5 out of 5 Thumbs Up
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, both my previous Navman's would only get 3.5 out of 5 Laughing
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction the printed manual is actually reasonable.
I was talking about the online manual I had been looking at which seemed to strangely have most pictures removed for some reason.

I always look at manuals before I buy as they reveal the truth behind all the advertising gloss.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Was very upset on Saturday when I somehow managed to crash the device (I say somehow.... more like my own stupidity for pressing the wrong buttons when trying to do a Hard Reset).
Well my device seemed to go belly up completely and at one point wouldn't sync with the PC to start recovery (turned out to be the PC).

Once the PC was rebooted I refreshed the PND software and then the maps which took a couple of hours (2Gb over USB) and all is back as it was. All of the Speed Camara information and saved addresses from the last time I connected to the PC were all restored and it's as though I never messed it up. Laughing Out Loud. Laughing
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: 980T Reply with quote

I have a 980T and enjoy it very much. However for some reason it will not longer sync with my laptop. It says the my ActiveSync is out of date (which it is not as it is the latest). Did you have the same problem and how did you manage to solve the problem? By the way there is new updated software available that solves the bug that crashed the system when passing a speed camera when in "free navigation".

regards[/quote]
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 980T Reply with quote

I would suggest uninstalling Activesync and reinstalling it. It's a Microsoft program after all Wink
First thing I did was to download the software update and I like the new arrow which appeared in the update to indicate the turn at the end of the road.
Did you buy in the period for the free map update, if so have you had yours. Just wondered how long it normally takes to get an access code to access the update page.

I really can't wait to see what some of these extras will add to the device, and have you noticed the base has an 'FM Antenner' connection which is currently not used and reserved for future use? Forward thinking maybe?
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: 980T Reply with quote

No I bought my before the free map upgrade so do qualify for the free map update.

i did uninstall and then reinstall ActiveSync but it made no difference. However it works on my desktop so it seems to be a firewall blocking the USB port but have no clue how or why.

I have wondered how to buy additional accessories but none seem to be available. I would like an external antenna as sometimes the 980 has to "catch up" so to your real position on the road and I believe an external antenna would help.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on ebay, they are generally standard fittings. I was reading on a French forum that some people have uninstalled some of the maps they would never use. I have yet to figure out how to do this as I think I would only need the city's in Europe for 'on foot' navigation.
I also read that the longer you can wait before setting off will help with the increase of GPS satellite numbers which improve the fix. The lower the number the more the GPS is actually making an educated guess on your location. (This is the same for all GPS units I think)
Think we should get improvements once we have our own satellites for Europe.

Just wish this forum had a section for ViaMitchelin products Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

only if your gps receiver is able to receive Galileo signals...

jonandmarkuk wrote:

you could always put it here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=65 for now - i know it's the 'software' forums but it's still via michelin

MaFt
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gallileo signals are identical to the current ones. If you can get GPS now, Gallileo birds will just appear in your display when they go operational.

Cheers, 7&Y
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7andy wrote:
Gallileo signals are identical to the current ones. If you can get GPS now, Gallileo birds will just appear in your display when they go operational.

Cheers, 7&Y

that's not the impression that i got... at cebit one of the gps chipset makers were showing off thier dual gps & galileo chips implying that the signals were different...

MaFt
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: 980T Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Have a look on ebay, they are generally standard fittings. I was reading on a French forum that some people have uninstalled some of the maps they would never use. I have yet to figure out how to do this as I think I would only need the city's in Europe for 'on foot' navigation.
I also read that the longer you can wait before setting off will help with the increase of GPS satellite numbers which improve the fix. The lower the number the more the GPS is actually making an educated guess on your location. (This is the same for all GPS units I think)

I have just some driving in France using both the 980T and a Garmin 2820. Briefly, the main differences are that the 980T appears to be about 100m "behind" and sometimes slow to pick up the right road if roads are close together. The TMC however is better with the 980T and the incorporation of the Michelin Guides its best feature if you are touring. The best thing about the Garmin is the ability to store multiple routes and to pre-plan your journeys on the PC. It does seem to be much more accurate and faster.
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
7andy wrote:

Cheers, 7&Y

that's not the impression that i got... at cebit one of the gps chipset makers were showing off thier dual gps & galileo chips implying that the signals were different...

MaFt

From: http://www.euractiv.com/en/science/galileo/article-117496

"EU and the United States have signed (June 2004) an agreement to ensure compatibility between their rival satellite positioning systems. The deal means the two sides will agree common operating standards for the American Global Positioning System (GPS) and the European Galileo project, currently under development. It determines how Galileo's frequencies should be structured, which will allow signals to be jammed in war zones if necessary. The agreement will create a world standard for signals, which means that users will be able to obtain signals from both systems. "

Cheers, 7&Y
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and a bit further down the same article...

"The US had initially opposed the system, citing it would duplicate and compete with the Pentagon's GPS. It has tried to show that there is no need for an alternative system, by making GPS more widely available and improving the precision of the public service. However, faced with strong determination from the EU, the US accepted to negotiate an agreement to make GPS and Galileo compatible so that users could use both systems with the same receivers. Ralph Braibanti, director for space and advanced technology at the U.S. State Department, said: "Through a lot of hard work and good will on both sides, we have succeeded in converting issues that could have driven a wedge between the United States and Europe into a situation where satellite navigation now clearly appears to be an area that is going to add to the strength of the transatlantic partnership."
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 980T Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
jonandmarkuk wrote:

I have just some driving in France using both the 980T and a Garmin 2820. Briefly, the main differences are that the 980T appears to be about 100m "behind" and sometimes slow to pick up the right road if roads are close together. The TMC however is better with the 980T and the incorporation of the Michelin Guides its best feature if you are touring. The best thing about the Garmin is the ability to store multiple routes and to pre-plan your journeys on the PC. It does seem to be much more accurate and faster.

Just looked at the Garmin and at £600+ I think I'll stick with the 980T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: