Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't navigate to longitude/latitude
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't navigate to longitude/latitude

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adamwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Can't navigate to longitude/latitude Reply with quote

Hi,I've had tomtom6 working on my n73 for a while and everything seems to work great. The only problem is that it won't let me navigate to or find on the map longitude/latitude. I have got it to display long/lat whilst browsing the map, but when trying to find or navigate to it is just greyed out and won't let me select it.
This has been really annoying recently on holiday in switzerland whilst been needing to navigate via coordinates.
I have done a few searches but turned up nothing.
Would really appreciate it if someone could help me out and get this feature working.
Thanks
Jim
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can't navigate to longitude/latitude Reply with quote

Adamwest wrote:
Hi,I've had tomtom6 working on my n73 for a while and everything seems to work great. The only problem is that it won't let me navigate to or find on the map longitude/latitude. I have got it to display long/lat whilst browsing the map, but when trying to find or navigate to it is just greyed out and won't let me select it.
This has been really annoying recently on holiday in switzerland whilst been needing to navigate via coordinates.
I have done a few searches but turned up nothing.
Would really appreciate it if someone could help me out and get this feature working.
Thanks
Jim
You're trying to use "Navigate to" ... "Latitude/Longitude", but the "Latitude/Longitude" is greyed out? Do you have a GPS signal?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed a while back and TT did give a vague answer that it was coming in a later release.

Added to that entering Lat and Long is usually quiet time consuming on a key-pad and I think you may have the answer why they will not allow you to as they will claim it is a saftey aspect when someone rasies this with them again!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be that the Safety Options are set to Enable Safety Lock.

This will disable most buttons and features when driving, and the Device is Docked.

It might be the answer. I haven't found any other.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
This has been discussed a while back and TT did give a vague answer that it was coming in a later release.

Added to that entering Lat and Long is usually quiet time consuming on a key-pad and I think you may have the answer why they will not allow you to as they will claim it is a saftey aspect when someone rasies this with them again!!
I'm still using TT5, so forgive my ignorance, but, are you saying that they have added the icon, but that it is always greyed out?

If that is the case, I've used GPS2Blue, in TT5. I loaded it to get my clock updated from GPS, but couldn't get that to work (well I couldn't get it to connect to my GPS!). But, there is a function to create a POI from Lat/Lon. You stop TT, use GPS2Blue to create the POI, restart TT and Navigate to POI, using GPS2Blue category. If you have several points, you can create them all at once.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Adamwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers.
To answer a few of you questions:
It doesn't matter weather I have a gps signal or not, the menu is still greyed out.
The saftey preferences are all disabled.
The menu icon is there but is greyed out so it can't be selected.

some other points:
A friend who is running tt6 on his sony eriscson phone has this function working perfectly (i think he is running tt6.02 and I am running tt6.01).
would it maybe just a missing file?
I know it is time consuming inputting coordinates but I really could do with this featuere
Thanks
Adamwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also would like to know if anyone has got this feature working on a nokia mobile
Adamwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone got a link to were this has been discused before please? I can't seem to find it.
peter_spikings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got into a discussion with TomTom support about this as I want to use this feature on my E61:

Quote:
We escalated your request to our second line support. They have provided us with an answer. They say that this option has been disabled on the Nokia devices due to some performance challenges. This is the reason you are unable to Navigate to a coordinate.

but surely that's nonsense as it must convert the location you enter (postcode, address, coordinates or whatever) into something internal (which may even be long/lat) and then use that to navigate to. Ergo any performance issues must only be right at the start of navigating, not during. Also WTF is navigating to coordinates more complicated than navigating to a postcode?

I also mentioned that navigating to long/lat is a listed feature of TT6 and that the E61 is listed as a supported device....

Another response:

Quote:
This item was disabled for Nokia phones to be able to have the Tom Tom run smoothly. There is no update to restore this functionality. The advertisement is referring to Navigator 6 for all compatible devices, unfortunately we do not seperate compatibility lists for different models.

Methinks I'm going to formally complain about this. Either TT's software people are incompetent or they're just trying to fob me off.

Any ideas? Smile

Thanks,

Peter.
pharmamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Complaining! Reply with quote

A formal complaint to TomTom! You won't be the first or the last. Don't waste your time.

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: