Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom RDS-TMC Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom RDS-TMC Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Here is the reply I got from Tom Tom just waiting to hear from them again will let you know what the outcomes
Cheers

Dear Mr Dale,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

In regards to your query, I can not advise if Classic FM are going to up the mass for the signal, we do not have a direct contact with them. Has your receiver ever picked up the signal or is it stuck in 'Tunning' mode?

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear is the other email, just got to wait and see now Rolling Eyes .
Cheers

Dear Mr Dale,

In regards to your query, I will forward your case to our second level support team and advise there recomendation once they check it.

With best regards,

Just be truthful and follow your heart
Life is how you make it

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I'm now a happy Garman Man
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
talk about passing the buck, looks like I have a lame duck
but then I was warned
Cheers

In regards to your query, our second level support team have advised that the Classic FM signal tends to get washed out due to signal interference, and there's not much that can be done short of amplifying the signal. This can be done by a lot of methods (like wiring the TMC receiver to his car antenna), but this is not something we can do anything about at this point in time.

With best regards,

Just be truthful and follow your heart
Life is how you make it

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I'm now a happy Garman Man
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reply, they appear to be suggesting the details posted in THIS might work (well connection to the external aerial anyway) - have a look at the pdf in the link text within the post, bear in mind this ruin any warranty / return option, but a number of people have found it a significant boost to reception - Mike
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike I will have a look but not very good at this sort of thing I have just written to Classic FM HQ to see if they are considering putting up a mast in Somerset I can only hope.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers
Malc6552
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just soldered a fine 29.5 inch wire to the gold pad on the pcb which I stretched out along the dash, this has made a big improvement, gonna connect into car arail next weekend when i get adaptors

So there is room for improvement .... but having said that we could not have to go to this ...... should we!!!!!
blackwellgraham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested to find this thread on the internet.

I've a GO710, with a TMC aerial, and it works perfectly between junctions 8 and 9 of the M40!

But thats the only place the damn thing works. A colleague borrowed the cable and tried it on their GO910, and they didn't get it to work at all on their journey along the M1.

But I can happily report that traffic definitely works on the M40, albeit on a very short stretch (you can actually see the radio mast in the distance along this stretch so I guess the signal that the piece of wire is detecting, needs boosting somewhat).
blackwellgraham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now reported the TMC problem to BBC Watchdog. If enough of us do this then we may get some action.

In the mean time, I've modified my TMC aerial as per the PDF document, and tonight I'll be connecting the coaxial extension cable to a magnetic mounted aerial, which I've stuck on the roof of my Mondy. ll try out tomorrow.

If that still doesn't work, then the TMC product really is a con. My friend has TMC integrated in to his Renault Laguna satnav, and it's awesome.
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackwellgraham wrote:

I've now reported the TMC problem to BBC Watchdog. If enough of us do this then we may get some action.

:x Where do I sign in :x

Feb up with the TMC, kept black out all the time and got stuck in a traffic jam, thank a lot Navman you has got me mad now Burn In Hell , wot is wrong with the TMC Station anyway Grrrr
ibur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem since I bought mine back in November 2006. I did occaisionaly get a locked signal. Since upgrading to v 6.524 I get nothing but the ornage circle rotating trying to tune. I've even been to the location where I know I could lock on before and now nothing since the upgrade.

I've e-mailed tomtom about this before and was told the software update would resolve some of the lock problems.. in fact for me it has made it worse as I cannot lock at all now.

I've re-emailed tomtom regarding a post on the expansys website, that tomtom are aware of the issues and plan a TMC device upgrade in Q2 2007. I'm waiting eagerly for my reply as I've mentioned this to them and how I go about getting my upgrade.

If something isn't done soon, it's watchdog for me also!
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How feasible would it be for TomTom to make a DAB receiver instead of an FM one?

Feasible - I guess
Likelihood of them doing it - virtually 0 due to R&D wasted costs Question
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweepdog wrote:
How feasible would it be for TomTom to make a DAB receiver instead of an FM one?
Given the RDS-TMC FM service is being used worldwide, and there are only 1 or 2 experimental DAB based services at the moment, although feasible, they are not going to release such a unit until there would be sufficient publicly available traffic services via DAB. Plus, such a unit would definitely need an external DAB aerial connection in every country, adding to the costs (whereas their FM solution works in a large number of countries without an external aerial - though not in the UK).
JohnP2712
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem rotating Orange Icon for all but 2mins of a 5 hour round trip on the M4. TomToms reply:

Please make sure that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is firmly plugged into the windscreen dock. When in the RDS/TMC Status Screen (tap on the Traffic bar on the right side of the screen) or TomTom Traffic menu, please check to see if the software is scrolling through radio stations. If it is scrolling through frequencies and radio stations it is an indication that the receiver is working, however it is unable to lock onto a useable FM frequency. It is particularly important that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is positioned correctly. The receiver cable must be stretched out entirely, as it is the cable itself that functions as an antenna and which receives the RDS-TMC signal.

If you know the frequency of a local radio station that transmits RDS-TMC information, you can try tuning to this specific frequency. Please go to the "RDS/TMC Status Screen" by tapping on the traffic bar on the right side of the screen when in the main navigation view. Then click on the "Tune RDS/TMC" icon and enter the frequency. Please note that there needs to be a route planned in order to use this functionality.

If you have tried to "Tune" into a frequency but with no result then the RDS-TMC receiver may not be functioning appropriately. Please try and adjust the location of the receiver to a position where a stronger signal is received. Please also test the receiver outside of the car for a few minutes to verify that it is able to receive a signal.

If the receiver still does not receive a useable signal please re-install the latest software, 6.524, through TomTom HOME.

If the receiver does not receive a signal at all, not even outside the car, then please let us know and we will book the RDS-TMC receiver and the car docking shoe in for repair to get them tested and replaced if necessary.

Please note that TMC information is transmitted through conventional FM radio broadcasts. The source of the RDS-TMC traffic information, and the radio stations and organizations responsible for the transmission of the signal, vary for every country and region in which the service is available. Additionally, the strength of the radio signal that is transmitted locally can vary greatly, depending on the proximity to an FM transmitter mast and its transmission strength.

A limitation of TMC technology is therefore that in certain local areas it may not be possible to receive a useable RDS-TMC signal.

With Best Regards

I had already tried all this so I am now waiting for their next step
JohnP2712
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem rotating Orange Icon for all but 2mins of a 5 hour round trip on the M4. TomToms reply:

Please make sure that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is firmly plugged into the windscreen dock. When in the RDS/TMC Status Screen (tap on the Traffic bar on the right side of the screen) or TomTom Traffic menu, please check to see if the software is scrolling through radio stations. If it is scrolling through frequencies and radio stations it is an indication that the receiver is working, however it is unable to lock onto a useable FM frequency. It is particularly important that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is positioned correctly. The receiver cable must be stretched out entirely, as it is the cable itself that functions as an antenna and which receives the RDS-TMC signal.

If you know the frequency of a local radio station that transmits RDS-TMC information, you can try tuning to this specific frequency. Please go to the "RDS/TMC Status Screen" by tapping on the traffic bar on the right side of the screen when in the main navigation view. Then click on the "Tune RDS/TMC" icon and enter the frequency. Please note that there needs to be a route planned in order to use this functionality.

If you have tried to "Tune" into a frequency but with no result then the RDS-TMC receiver may not be functioning appropriately. Please try and adjust the location of the receiver to a position where a stronger signal is received. Please also test the receiver outside of the car for a few minutes to verify that it is able to receive a signal.

If the receiver still does not receive a useable signal please re-install the latest software, 6.524, through TomTom HOME.

If the receiver does not receive a signal at all, not even outside the car, then please let us know and we will book the RDS-TMC receiver and the car docking shoe in for repair to get them tested and replaced if necessary.

Please note that TMC information is transmitted through conventional FM radio broadcasts. The source of the RDS-TMC traffic information, and the radio stations and organizations responsible for the transmission of the signal, vary for every country and region in which the service is available. Additionally, the strength of the radio signal that is transmitted locally can vary greatly, depending on the proximity to an FM transmitter mast and its transmission strength.

A limitation of TMC technology is therefore that in certain local areas it may not be possible to receive a useable RDS-TMC signal.

With Best Regards

I had already tried all this so I am now waiting for their next step
JohnP2712
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Follow up Reply with quote

This now from TomTom:

The TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver was designed to provide seamless integration of RDS-TMC traffic information with the user-interface of the TomTom GO, providing customers with the best traffic experience on the market.

Through listening to valuable customer feedback, however, it has come to our attention that in some cases the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver does not live up to our customers’ expectations.

TomTom has taken your feedback very seriously and you will be offered a replacement of your RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver, a new version of which will feature improved performance and which we strive to have available Q2 2007.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: