Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic master/SPECS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic master/SPECS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Traffic master/SPECS Reply with quote

Hi,

I have heard a roumor that the Traffic Master boxes are going to be utilised as SPECS cameras.

8O

Has anyone else heard this?
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 8O
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of problems.

1. They would require home office type approval before they could be used and this takes quite a while to complete.

2. Traffic Master cameras aren't always sited in vandal proof locations so they would have to be moved.

That said, if the Police wanted to they could demand that Traffic Master hand over information recorded by their cameras and I wouldn't be surprised if they already do this to allow them to track vehicles from time to time.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't mind if the traffic master data was used by police in hunting down someone specific such as tracing the movements of someone wanted for a murder etc but i think it would be a bit 'off' for them just to track vehicles at random...

kinda like i wouldn't mind them bugging my phone if they thought i was up to something dodgy , but if they bugged it just for the sake of it, that'd be different

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i think it would be a bit 'off' for them just to track vehicles at random...

The Police have quietly rolled out an ANPR system throughout the country and they don't just track vehicles at random, they track ALL vehicles and keep the data for years. Likewise the phone companies have to keep records of where every mobile phone has travelled for the last couple of years.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Police also order Traffic Master to hand over the information they gather too.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the traffic master units just monitored the traffic flow rate (like those of traffic lights to alter the phasing) and didn't record anything useful like Number Plates etc?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Police have quietly rolled out an ANPR system throughout the country and they don't just track vehicles at random, they track ALL vehicles and keep the data for years.

That would require a LOT of camera at a LOT of locations and would generate a LOT of data.

Where are these cameras exactly and how many are there?

Over what distances can they monitor you i.e. if i drove 3 miles down the road would that be recorded or would i have to make a motorway trip before i was picked up?
mercsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: ANPR Locations Reply with quote

Well as an X installer of this kinda stuff I can tell you that the industry magazines were banging on about this a few years ago just as the the congestion charging system was being tested and at the time many inner london car parks were being fitted with a system used in conjunction with the local police, one in particular in soho that was showcased and in later issues of the mag Bluewater shopping centre was also showcased but now the police seems to have opted for using their moblie incar systems, probably because it has a more "hands on" use since they can just drive around with the thing on, and when it bleeps they can nick you and doesnt require any out of house help.. Scuse the long winded answer. Oh and the ring of steel in london does it. hence no more policemen required to slow you down ( needed until the technology improved )
IcarusR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Traffic Master cameras can not & will not be used for speed ticketing. This was confirmed to me by a Traffic Master corperate sales person I know.

As someone has already pointed out in this thread they are not "Type Aprooved" & are not calibrated. And are located in the wrong places.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: