Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't turn it off! driving me up the wall!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't turn it off! driving me up the wall!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Can't turn it off! driving me up the wall!!!! Reply with quote

I got a nice new GO510 free as an American Express points reward, and I'm loving it after playing before with a homebrew made out of an old Ipaq, CF GPS and TT software.

BUT I can't turn it off! I've looked around loads of forums and seen the problems with units turning off in error due to poor cradel connections but not seen this reported.

When I turn the unit off by pressing the power button, it goes to the normal shutdown splash screen and then after about 30 seconds reboots! By reboots I mean what I assume is a warm restart (an extra load screen with the progress bar on the bottom - not the drums after a reset) and the bl**dy thing comes back up. If I try to power it off before it gets to the owner screen it can lock up and need a full reset.

Now, sometimes it works, first time. But mostly anything from a few to forever to turn it off and stay off. This is a problem as 1) it can make getting out of the car at the end of a journey a bit of a procedure and 2) means that my phone reconnects and stays hands free.

I've looked in the manual, searched the web, tried combinations of holding the button down for different periods (whilst patting my head and and staning on one foot!) but have yet to find which combination leads to the perfect shutdown. It has the latest software on it (5.62? don't make me turn it on to check) which was downloaded two weeks ago when I first connected it to TT home.

Please don't say return it - I've read enough tales of woe about service and support, and the way I obtained it means I have no receipt etc or retailer to deal with, and it must be a software thing - any ideas?
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try letting go the power button once the shutdown screen appears.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Slider,

Have you used the reset hole?
Does the GO have a faulty or damaged touch screen?
As a last resort, try removing the SD card and then reinserting it.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Slider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
Try letting go the power button once the shutdown screen appears.

And all variations Crying or Very sad
Slider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi Slider,

Have you used the reset hole?
Does the GO have a faulty or damaged touch screen?
As a last resort, try removing the SD card and then reinserting it.

Regards,

I've reset the unit twice, once when it wouldn't start up and once when I hung it trying to turn it off whilst it was restarting.

The screen is fine.

I just popped and reinserted the SD card - when I turned it on it did a rest and start (drums) but it powered off first time. So I turned it on and off again a couple more times and it shuts down straight away :P (3 times).

So another problem fixed by this fine forum.

The question is, is it a card that ain't too cool with TT? It's a Viking 512Mb.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Slider,

Slider wrote:
I just popped and reinserted the SD card - when I turned it on it did a rest and start (drums) but it powered off first time. So I turned it on and off again a couple more times and it shuts down straight away :P (3 times).

So another problem fixed by this fine forum.

Excellent, glad we got you and your GO back up and running! Thumbs Up
Not bad for somebody who’s never had a GO unit, eh? ;)

Slider wrote:
The question is, is it a card that ain't too cool with TT? It's a Viking 512Mb.

The Viking card should be OK, but if it continues to happen then you may want to try another one. I use Kingston CF cards in my iPAQ. You might want to try a Kingston SD if you wish to change brands.

Others with more experience of SD cards for the TomTom GO units may offer different advice.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Slider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just see how I get on, the only thing is I probably won't be driving much until the 2nd. So I'll have to keep trying it on the desk here......
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you made a full backup of the card yet. If not, do it now. It will save a lot of grief in future if the card is faulty. And you will have a ready made copy to put onto any new card.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Slider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post a follow up to this in case it helps anyone else:

The trick of popping the sd in and out seemed to fix the problem of a reboot on power off. But after getting the Missus a One V2 for Xmas I had noticed how much faster it shut down than mine - it was taking up to 20 seconds (seemed a lot longer believe me). Then this morning the battery was flat - I had used it on Saturday and I guess the old power back on issue had come back. Sure enough when I got to the office it wouldn't turn off again. Bit of a nuisance as I hadn't realised and when the phone rang it was in hands free mode with the TT in the bag!

Anyways, I decided to copy the SD card contents to a new card - I was using a 512Mb Viking card, the only spare I had on me was a 1Gb Viking card, but I wnet ahead and did it, and lo and behold, the unit turns off properly again and the shutdown screen now only appears for 5 - 10 seconds.

So this appears to be two related issues both resolved by changing the SD card.

Long shutdown time - splash screen for ages
Reboot after power off - warm boot, no drums

Let's see you I get on for the rest of the week
apogee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: I have the exact same problem Reply with quote

Hi

I have this issue too and its a real pain in the backside, you save a bit of time on the journey then sit in the car for 10 mins trying to get the thing to switch off.

I'm just going through recreating a card (again), last time this happened it seemed to start when i added speed camera voice OR when i set custom alert distances (not sure which).

Do you have speed cameras/custom distances set up on your unit?

I've just copied files to a new card with no change, so im rebuilding a new card from my factory one and have only added the camera database and so far it seems fine. I can also confirm the shutdown screen only lasts a few second now

Can you fill out some detail.

Thanks

Lee

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: