Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rider- Version6?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rider- Version6?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frojo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Rider- Version6? Reply with quote

Hi Gps bikers,
With the new pricing (£249) I am ready to treat myself to a Rider.
However, it is not clear to me whether it/they have been updated with the new maps/version 6. I have searched widely for any information but to no avail.The TomTom site studiously avoids mentioning specific details anywhere.
I would hate to buy oldstock if new units are available.
Anybody help?
cheers frojo
CheesyMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it. For that money you can get a Garmin 2610 brand new complete with RAM mounts. It should also come with a free upgrade to the next version of mapsource. Garmin support and TomTom support are worlds apart.

These guys do £239 for the complete GPS & RAM kit - http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3320.html

Mike
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea as to what the RIDER will come with, but I suspect it will be the old app and old NAVTEQ 612 map. A 2610, though? Discontinued, no internal battery (?), no bluetooth, no telephone connectivity......
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the 2610 is a bit old now, not to mention rather large. You would have to compare the TomTom with the Zumo if you want to compare like for like.
CheesyMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concede that the 2610 doesn't have the bluetooth, phone integration and internal battery of the Rider, but it is much more reliable and has greatly superior backup.

The Zumo is more of a feature-for-feature competitor to the Rider but it is also twice the price. If money is the deciding factor then I think the reliability and proven track record of the 2610 makes it a much better bet than the Rider IMHO.

Mike
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheesyMike wrote:
I concede that the 2610 doesn't have the bluetooth, phone integration and internal battery of the Rider, but it is much more reliable and has greatly superior backup.

Do you have figures to back up your claims on the reliability issue?

CheesyMike wrote:
The Zumo is more of a feature-for-feature competitor to the Rider but it is also twice the price. If money is the deciding factor then I think the reliability and proven track record of the 2610 makes it a much better bet than the Rider IMHO.

Mike

So, pound for pound against feature for feature, the RIDER beats both of these offerings hands down.
CheesyMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:

Do you have figures to back up your claims on the reliability issue?

No, just a lot of anecdotal evidence from members of my bike club who own Garmin units. Garmin's fixed price repair service is superb. A fellow rider just returned a 2610 for repair that was well out of warranty and had been dropped & broken. Garmin sent him back a brand new unit complete with all software and accessories even though he only sent back the GPS unit. I have had exactly the same experience with their repairs when I cracked the case on my aviation unit.

Quote:
So, pound for pound against feature for feature, the RIDER beats both of these offerings hands down.

Not at all. In fact I'm arguing the very opposite. I'm saying that the Rider is far inferior to the cheaper 2610 despite having more features. Plus the 2610 comes with full European maps whereas the Rider is UK only.

What is the point of having the Rider if the software is buggy, if the bluetooth implementation is incomplete, if it won't startup every time, if the mounting hardware is shoddy, if the memory card drops out when you open the unit, and if the charging system is unreliable?

The 2610 is of the same vintage as the Rider and has (IMHO) stood the test of time much better. The Zumo, which is brand new and based on years of experience in providing GPS units on motorcycles, promises to be an excellent unit if you can stand the price premium.
Bruggen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm gonna be the fly in the ointment here because I've had a TT Rider since Nov 2005 and have used it for 10,000 miles on my Bike and about 20,000 miles in my car. I have had no software problems at all. It always starts up first time. I've had no cradle problems and it always charges up while in the cradle without a hitch. I've now upgraded to the Western Europe maps and use TT traffic which has saved me from grief and delays on many occasions. I have it connected to a Motorola V3i for the blutooth connection to update my traffic info every 20 minutes using T Mobile with unlimited downloads at £7.50 a month. In short, it's been nothing short of brilliant in my eyes. It does everything I want it to and more without a hitch. By the way it's totally waterproof as I've used it where I couldn't see the screen very well beause it was awash in a bad storm. I consider that it's been an excellent purchase and would recommend anyone buying one who has a bike.
One shortcoming for me with this unit has been the inadequate headset. I use Autocom on the bike and there is no way to connect it to a Pro sport setup. Also the headset's limited battery life is poor. Instead I use and Icon Visor bluetooth setup on my bike that plugs straight into the autocom system and will last all day without charging. This is a boon as I've ridden up to 16 hours at a time. I'm not saying that anything else is god or bad, just that in my experience the TT Rider is a great piece of kit.

Bruggen
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done the mileage you have, either on two or four wheels, but considering the usage I put the unit to in testing, it's served me very well. I've had no problems with loose or worn contacts, nor any issues with the SD card falling out. I have also used it in torrential conditions and it has continued to work. I have had a problem once or twice where I needed to use the reset button but am very happy with my RIDER. Having said that, I'd love to get my hands on a zumo for comparison purposes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: