Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why Zumo and Not Rider
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Zumo and Not Rider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lardyboy66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Why Zumo and Not Rider Reply with quote

Well had my Zumo now for a week and now have my head round the interface and I love it.

Number of reasons for this :-

Waterproof.

Buttons are really easy to use with or without gloves

The unit feels really substantial and the mount is top quality and really well thought out.

Comes with RAM mounts to fit the bike.

But the real clincher is this - I managed to break it !!! - not sure how but after throwing POI's at it playing with the map software on the PC (which is fab), it started to fail on address search, I could enter a town but the it asked for a house number, when that was entered and the "done" button was pressed it would shut down.

So, with this lot happening before I even test it in anger why the reccomendation, GARMIN SUPPORT !!!

One freephone call straight to an operator who sorted the problem, even though they had had no other calls for the Zumo, she gave me her email address and asked me to keep in touch and let them know how I get on. by the end of the call I was going to ask her for her address, obviously just to test the Zumo honest.

10 out of 10 Garmin

Not sure I would get the same from TOMTOM - in fact I dont think I ever found a number
:D
stevelaughton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: zumo problems Reply with quote

i have just got my zumo on thursday, got it linked into my "Autocom" unit via a special not yet available lead, and all is going well. until i connect it to the pc. then the software that comes with it says that there is no gps connected, and when i load pio's onto a SD card the zume does know it is there and does not use the info on it.
has any one else had the same problem or is it me having a "blonde moment"?
GAThompson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zumo Owners ;

I have had mine for a month now and love it.

Does everything I had hoped it would.

LB66 - I had the same problem with the Search feature. What I did realize that it only happened with the search on data on SD Card I had added (a small 16mb from my camera).
Are you loading your search data on that?
I loaded the same data on the internal memory and had no problem. Don't know if is the chip or what though.

STEVE - I can load tracks , POIs, etc. . Took me a while to figure or find out how this data is placed on the Zumo, what files it uses, and how to access it. Still learning but you can do it. At some times I did have an issue with it seeing it. Just start over, and do it in a set sequence.
With MapSource down and Zumo OFF, plug into computer USB.
Wait till Device is recognized. Then start up MapSource, if that is what you are transfering with. You can also transfer created files by directly accessing the drives (removable drives) in My Computer. They just have to be in the correct folder and location.
One thing it took a while to figure out was that the POIs are accessed on a menu selection you don't usually see in the Where To menu. Need to move down to second page and access the EXTRAS selection.

Good to see some others with the Zumo that we can hopefully exchange info with.

Ride Safe.
stevelaughton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: zumo problems Reply with quote

hi again
since my last visit here i have had a trip to Garmin Europe's head office in Southampton to get my zumo replaced.
it was having a melt down.
around nottingham we have a rail network and when crossing some places the screen would crash. it still knew where i was it knows how fast i am traveling etc, but the map just freezes and then goes blank.
i cannot get it to clear its self unless i turn off and back on again several times. then some time the start up screen comes on up side down!!!
so after several calls to garmin support they agreed to exchange it over the holidays as we had a big group ride out planned for last weekend and i was leading a group so i needed it.
they made me very welcome and gave me a complete new box full of all the spare brackets etc for my trouble.
how fantastic, thanks guys and happy new year.
the bike mount you get with the unit is pants, the handle bar mount doesnt work on my hayabusa as the screen is too close to get it to clear when mounted so far out. so i have bought a raw bolt type of mounting from autocom to mount it straight out of the centre of the head stock, just angeled enough to clear the ignition hole.
it is nice and firm and in just the right place to see and adjust whilst on the move.

ive bought a 2g sd card (it will take a 4g so garmin tell me) so i can get lots of music on it, and now things are going well.
im getting used to planning routes on the pc and then transphering them over, but i can only do one at a time?

hope you are all getting on well?
talk soon
steve
segart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Just getting the hang of my Zumo... Reply with quote

Is it possible to drive a randon route and then save it as a specific route to repeat later?
Cheers
Rick
stevelaughton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes very possable.
every where you drive / ride with the unit turned on it leaves a track line. when you down load your garmin to the Mapsource program on your pc, it shows every trip you have made. it is a small black line with a dot point every second. so you drive a route then recall it to your pc click on it and save it as a route for later.
it also gives you the opotunity to click on any track route you have taken, and if you look for the larger gaps it means you were traveling faster, click route properties, and it tells you the time, date, height, heading and speed you were doing at that very spot. is this going to get you hung at some time in the future. Big Brother could be watching soon!
hope this answers your question?
steve
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just getting the hang of my Zumo... Reply with quote

segart wrote:
Is it possible to drive a randon route and then save it as a specific route to repeat later?

Yes, it's a fantastic feature of the Garmin units which come with Mapsource (I presume the Zumo has Mapsource for the PC with it?).

As you ride, you can also mark points along the way which were especially, umm, scenic Wink and view them on the PC later on.

I like to plan a route on the PC based on previous rides then upload it into the Quest. The cool thing is it will tell you how far you are going and roughly how long it will take so you know when you will be back and when you will need fuel. If the route is too quick for the time you have allocated then you can add a few more scenic detours. :D

As Steve points out, it does record a tracklog with the height, location, time and speed which may be a bit of a fright. Twisted Evil
segart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I will check that out. I wonder why no mention is made of that (and lots of other things) in the manual?
Cheers
Rick
segart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Skippy
Boy there is a lot to learn here. Getting brain fade now. Like being back at school again!!
Rick
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Just getting the hang of my Zumo... Reply with quote

segart wrote:
Cheers
Rick

See this to convert tracklogs to routes http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48621
Lardyboy66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Trip Log to Route Reply with quote

When I go to Manage trip logs I am given 2 options.

Clear log or

Save as Route

Presume save as route does exactly that ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: