Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - coach driving noobie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

coach driving noobie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: coach driving noobie Reply with quote

Hi all
Just got my first gps thingy a navman icn650
The bees knees !,I drive a coach in Uk and Europe and don't know why i didn't get one before now, It's great for places like Paris etc ,especially when u can tilt the map!, i like that!.Though it doesn't know its in a 12 meter coach Rolling Eyes
Anyway just thought i'd say Hi ! :D
No doubt i'll be posting again soon, especially about the accuracy of some of the downloadable(?) POI's

Thanks for listening
CYA
Nick
(scotland)
rocketroy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

i know what mean mate,
i think the sat nav companies need to have a setting for large and heavy vehicals, this could be a big selling point for them,
as many time i have put too much trust into the iCN and its sent me on a narrow country lane!!

Oh well!!
Thanks!
cossack40uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am a coach driver and agree, the sat nav companies could make them coach and HGV friendly.
I have a GNAV10, its great except it tries to cut corners and can get you into a lot of trouble. I have got into ignoring it when it tries to push me down a side street or lane and normally in a few 100m the turning you want appears

Dave
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the PSV (PCV) rules changed since I was busing and coaching, where you had to be familiar with a route (via route learning) before you were let loose on your own?

Narrow roads? What about low bridges?
camperpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, just got back from cornwall, used tom tom and it has no respect for large coachbuilt motorhomes, those acrillick windows get scratched to on them heart stopping single track lanes.
pete
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Have the PSV (PCV) rules changed since I was busing and coaching, where you had to be familiar with a route (via route learning) before you were let loose on your own?

There has never been a 'rule' that you had to know the route in advance when coaching, that would be impossible to implement, how many companies would send you to Spain or Italy just to learn the route?

Local bus services are another matter and all companies provide route learning of some kind.

In the 3 years I have been using satnav I have had one mishap, when it routed me down a lane in Wales and resulted in several thousand pounds worth of damage to my coach, that was the first and last time I made that mistake, from that point on my principle was " if the road don't look right, then it ain't right" .
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There has never been a 'rule' that you had to know the route in advance when coaching
It was in the PSV Regulations in 1978 when I passed my test.

Quote:
that would be impossible to implement, how many companies would send you to Spain or Italy just to learn the route?
That's the 'tin-pot' companies problem.

Quote:
you had to be familiar with a route (via route learning) before you were let loose on your own?

Quote:
In the 3 years I have been using satnav I have had one mishap, when it routed me down a lane in Wales and resulted in several thousand pounds worth of damage to my coach,

Stop! Driving Censored
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in the PSV Regulations in 1978 when I passed my test.

That's the 'tin-pot' companies problem.

I can't think of one company 'tinpot' or otherwise that could afford to send you route learning all over Europe, if a job came into our office tomorrow, to Les Orres for example, do you honestly think that a driver would be sent over there to route learn before doing the actual job??

Thats what satnav and maps are for, surely!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do you honestly think that a driver would be sent over there to route learn before doing the actual job??
No they're not are they! On that journey there should be two drivers, as long as one knows the route the other could learn by observation as a passenger or when driving his portion. I guess the 'Safety and Comfort of the passengers' has also gone out of the window'.

Quote:
Thats what satnav and maps are for, surely!

Quote:
when it routed me down a lane in Wales and resulted in several thousand pounds worth of damage to my coach,

Sat Nav could send you under a low bridge, not to worry though, the next low bridges won't be a problem.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lost_Property"]
Quote:
No they're not are they! On that journey there should be two drivers, as long as one knows the route the other could learn by observation as a passenger or when driving his portion. I guess the 'Safety and Comfort of the passengers' has also gone out of the window'.

Sat Nav could send you under a low bridge, not to worry though, the next low bridges won't be a problem.

I think you are losing the plot on this one, one minute you say you should know the route before you even start driving a psv, now you are saying you should route learn as you go along!

Why do you make a wild guess that the 'safety and comfort' of the passengers has gone out the window?

And for your info my Satnav has NEVER sent me under a low bridge in the 3 years that I have had it, sure it has tried, but I just ignore it and re-route, thats what professional drivers do, there is absolutley no need to get caught out by low bridges.

You keep referring to my one incident I mentioned without any knowledge of it whatsoever, perhaps a few facts wouldn't go amiss eh?

I think the problem we have here is that you are referring to driving service busses, I am referring to professional coach tours that cover all of Europe, what you are suggesting (or was) is inpracticle and unworkable in todays industry.
bibamus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin C310, you can tell it what type of vehicle you drive and it will route you accordingly. Not sure about low bridges though. As for route learning, what do you do if you dont have a driver that knows the route?

Allan
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by telling it what type of veihcle you are driving it usually will only adjust the eta and mqake some small changes to the route. don't get lulded in to a false sense of security with it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
by telling it what type of veihcle you are driving it usually will only adjust the eta and mqake some small changes to the route. don't get lulded in to a false sense of security with it

Thats good advice regardless of what vehicle you are driving, I was one of the first, if not the first driver at my firm to employ satnav, and the advice I give everyone is only use it as an aid, but I believe you have to put 100% trust in it, that doesn't mean you have to follow it off cliffs etc, just trust it to do it's job with your help.

To old to die young.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: