Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No satellite fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No satellite fix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: No satellite fix Reply with quote

After having to do a hard reset on my PDA, I reloaded CP6 while at work on Friday, and used it on the way home. I'd already switched on the BT reciever, and when I hit "start driving" a minute or so later, it already had enough fixes to give me directions

Today, I travelled from Staffordshire to Herfordshire and back again - a grand total of about 330 miles, and the bloody useless pile of crap couldn't get a fix the whole time

I reset the GPS, I soft reset the PDA. I tried the receiver on the dash or on the seat. I re-established the BT partnership, I tried everything. I didn't get more than two blocks on the 5-block scale all day.

I can't believe its the software, because if I turn off the receiver, CP6 instantly tells me there's no connection. Turn it back on again, and within a few seconds I get the "determining position" text.

It did almost the same last Saturday too (exactly the same trip), except that I used it perfectly from home to my destination, but it didn't get a fix on the way home.

Any ideas?
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just to REALLY cheese me off, I tried it this morning (from my kitchen) and it picked up a fix within about a minute Evil or Very Mad
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your time and timezone set correctly after your hard reset?
tortexal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same problem see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46485
i thought i had it fixed however tonight after getting me to my destination it cant get me back bc the same thing is happening AGAIN. im seriously not happy with with this
tortexal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw im about 2 seconds away from buying tomtom bc is a realtor i cant have gps that doesnt work ;)
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try uninstalling some other software, or making more space on your card. I find a lack of memory, or space on the card, will stop bluetooth from working.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
tortexal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not that bluetooth doesnt work, it does. it just never finds any sattelites. i have 18mb free of program and storage memory and 2gigs free on my storage card
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 17.59MB of free storage space and 13.54MB of free Program space on my PDA, plus 324MB free on my SD card

As has already been mentioned, its not the bluetooth that's the issue - its simply that the BTGPS receiver fails spectacularly to find a fix - it usually shows 1 or 2 "LEDs" and very occasionally it gets to 3, but soon drops back again

Tried it today - worked fine (fix took about 5 minutes)

Having said that, I can't get any camera warnings now Rolling Eyes
tortexal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided to try mine again. it actually works now. Confused UTC time is still all wrong, it says 3:50am 10/24/06 and its 10:50 pm 10/23/06. my date and time and time zone are all set properly in my pda. i think i may buy tomtom just in case 8O
tortexal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im now having the same problem AGAIN! i think im done w co pilot completely.
phoebus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I've got exactly the same problems copilot brand gps and no satallite connections.

I've tried the reciever (D1598-S) with copilot and tom tom, and the result is always the same.

I've found that I can use it once per day (i think need to test thoroughly), the first time I fire it up on any given day it works great. then if I try again I get nothing, the odd peak but that's it.

Sorry, but I've got no idea how to fix, I was hoping someone else did.

Does anybody know who makes the reciever itself. As I couldn't identify either copilot or alk in the hardware discussions. I'm hoping this may shed some light on the problem, as I'm convinced the problem is something to do with hardware.

Thanks for any advice guys
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CoPilot GPS comes with either a SirfII or SirfIII chipset.

I got a I-Blue 737 recently which is better for picking up a signal in a built up area, and is much better for running on batteries.
phoebus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the SirfIII, by all accounts, which is supposed to have decent enough aquisition. Which is does when it works.

What I don't understand is how I can have a great signal, then switch it all off and not get anything again, without moving ouside on a clear day!

Because I don't use it that often though, I'll continue to use it a while longer.
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NigelO.......
Looks like tour having a bit of a torrid time with your reciever......
A couple of things spring to mind,but you'll have to go back to basics....

First off,you state that you can get good reception outside of your car?,if so how good and make a note.........

Is your car fitted with an electric heated windscreen?,if so thats the cause of the issue........try attaching it to the sunroof(if you've got one.....) 8O

Have you tried an alternative reciever........

Cheers.........
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem has been permanently solved

I bought an Xda orbit Rolling Eyes

The BT receiver problem was just infuriating - there was no pattern to it. Some days it would get a fix inside a minute or so, other days I could drive several hundred miles without ever getting a fix.

the position inside the car was irrelevant - there was one day when the receiver fell off my centre console and slid under the seat - it carried on with a good signal for the rest of the journey, despite being under lots of metal, leather and a fat ar$e

The Xda Orbit (integral GPS receiver) is stunning - it often has a fix before I'm at the end of my road and never takes longer than a couple of minutes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: