Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Silva Gps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Silva Gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robtwo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Silva Gps Reply with quote

Is there a Silva Forum ?

I own a Silva Multi Navigator and live in the UK , what sort of accuracy should I expect ?

Robtwo
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Silva Gps Reply with quote

This is the forum, but there aren't that many that seem to own Silva's unfortunately.

If you don't have DGPS, WAAS or EGNOS then you'll get within 15m accuracy, if you do have these and utilise EGNOS in Europe then you should be able to achieve 3-5m.
robtwo
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave

I have done some practical tests on some large fields and the accuracy seems to fall within the 1 - 5 metre limits. In my instruction book it mentions quote

' 1-5 Metres RMS with DGPS' ,this product includes SiRFstar

but I do not know what this actually means . Since it it can track 12 satellites continously , I presume it one of the most accurate sytsems on the market , is this also true.

Thanks

Robtwo
Dave
Frequent Visitor

SiRF Star, is another protocol type. NMEA is the widely standardise and used protocol type for GPS, but SiRF Star, SiRF Star I, SiRF Star II, SiRF Star IIe basically interpret the data differently and the data that's coming in looks different. They're still using up to 12 satellites, and it's the same satellites, it's just that SiRF tends to run at a higher receiver (baud) rate to get data to you quicker, and also boasts things like improved times for re-acquisition etc.

Generally you can usually find with DGPS/WAAS/EGNOS you'll get around 3-5m accuracy, in the UK/Europe there's EGNOS, I believe it came out of testing this month, but I'm not entirely sure if it's fully active or not.
robtwo
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave

I choose the Silva Multi navigator for a number for a number of reasons since it met the criteria I had previously made myself , the only issue with this model was it never really stated it gobal positioning accuracy but the shop assistant assured me it was 1-5 metres , hence my tests. It would be nice for someone else to comment on their personal findings with this model just to really confirm my experiences. Dave from your comments I'm not sure if you have personally tested one or someone out there has , it would be nice to here views on this.

Robtwo
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I haven't tried a Silva Multi Navigator yet but it's one I want to get my hands on for a while to test and review. The Silva is really the GPS Receiver to get if you need to go to the extremes, like very hot or very cold temperatures where you need a GPS receiver to work. We're going to start having a lot more handheld GPS reviews appearing here soon, so watch this space.

Generally WAAS/EGNOS on average will give you an accuracy of around 3-5 meters, in theory you should be able to better 3m, but WAAS in Europe (or EGNOS as it's known), is still in it's infancy and really isn't 100% live and guaranteed to give true accuracy until April 2004. Take a look at the EGNOS Article that Mike wrote as he's been in touch with ESA (European Space Agency) and has run various tests with EGNOS.
robtwo
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave

I lokked at that EGNOS article at noticed what is defined by an 'accurate signal' they define it as a 3D differnetial location. I switched mine on in the garden (South Yorkshire) it came up with tracking 6 satellites , signal strength 7 and a 3D sign ! set the 'home position' walked away then used the 'electronic compass' mode to find my home position(not I originally marked it on my lawn with a platic plant pot) my GPS then pointed the direction and my distance finally came to zero. My physical position to the plant pot (home) was approx 1.5 metres which is about the norm so I personally feel its accuracy meets my needs.

Robtwo
Graham Willis
Occasional Visitor

Just logged on to this site seeking some information on the Silva mapping software.

Has anyone any experience using the Silva Global map Planner software for the Silva Multi-Navigator.
forest.rangers
Occasional Visitor

I use gps for animal surveys here in New Zealand on a daily basis and could be considered an experienced gps user.
The terrain here is dense bush with gps reception often difficult.
We brought two Silva multi navigators thinking we were buying the best and tried them out over several weeks.
Unfortunately they turned out to be total crap under dense canopy.
Even the low priced etrex series are better then the multi navigator in these conditions.
We have found that the Garmin gps76 are the best for the type of conditions we have, and the silvas are sitting on a shelf not being used, (very expensive Junk)
regards
Murray
samcollie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Silva Multi Navigator Reply with quote

I use the Silva with a Mountain Rescue Team and find it the most accurate one around. This plus the fact that it tends to maintain the signal when others seem to loose it eg when there is a lot of tree cover.

It's big and a bit clumbersome, but it has a screen that you can see in bad weather and buttons that use can use with gloves on.

Does anyone know how I can connect it to my Asus 620 PDA though. I have had it working with the laptop & memory-map software. (It was accuarte to which side of the road I was on most of the time)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: