Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPECS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPECS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_Summ
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: SPECS Reply with quote

Sitting at 40 mph for mile upon mile of the M6 through Walsall and Birmingham has made me think:-

How near to the back of a large lorry / transit van / car to stop the SPECS camera reading the number plate?

On the M6 they have targetting lines on the road about 20/30 meters from the gantry. Any triginometry bods out there to crunch the numbers since the height of the gantries are pretty standard and lorry are pretty much a standard height.

P.S. I'm not volunteering to test any results!

Andy.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer is to stick to the limit for the entire duration of SPECS installations, its not worth the risk.
As trucks vary in height you could never be sure that the distance would be close enough to avoid a picture, also I doubt you would find a HGV driver speeding through this sort of camera zone, they have far more to loose than the average motorist!
Finally if you were close enough to avoid the picture you should probably be prosecuted for dangerous driving as you would be way to close to the truck to safely stop if required - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: SPECS Reply with quote

Get a motorbike. Wink
Crad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thought.

I would agree with mikealder in that it’s not worth the risk, however just for the sake of discussion;

It would be very dangerous to tail-gate a lorry, especially as at the required distance the driver would be unable to see the car! But depending on the location of the camera it should be possible to get into a position in an adjacent lane (providing the lorry is high enough) that would obscure the car’s number-plate. In addition there would not be any tailgating involved. This would only work for single cameras set to the side of the road and not over-head.
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Snip...
I doubt you would find a HGV driver speeding through this sort of camera zone,

ROFL!!!

How often do you follow HGV's doing 50-60 in specs zones, for me EVERYDAY, I drive through 4 specs cameras on the way to work.

At first they did 40mph, but not anymore. It appears that there is no intelligence on the NPR and they don't differentiate between the different vehicles. Shame really, it might get a few white van men off the road if they did (specs on dualcarriageways Twisted Evil )
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acmp wrote:

ROFL!!!

How often do you follow HGV's doing 50-60 in specs zones, for me EVERYDAY, I drive through 4 specs cameras on the way to work.

At first they did 40mph, but not anymore. It appears that there is no intelligence on the NPR and they don't differentiate between the different vehicles. Shame really, it might get a few white van men off the road if they did (specs on dualcarriageways Twisted Evil )

That surprises me, do you have any further info on this Question
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: