Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Making POI Files (FAQ)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Making POI Files (FAQ)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Making POI Files (FAQ) Reply with quote

Q: How can I make my own POI files?
A: To make your own POI file you need at least 3 things: longitude, latitude and a name.
If you can find it on a map then things are quite easy! Go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk and find it on a map. Zoom in as much as possible and click the actual location (entrance to car park probably the best bet) and it will show an arrow on the map. Now, near the bottom of the page there is a link to 'click here to convert/measure coordinates' - click the link and in the list it will show you the latitude and longitude.

UPDATE: you can also use this site: http://ukpostcodes.boldlygoingnowhere.org/ and fill out a form with names and postcodes to be emailed the lat/long of all the points you enter (thanks for the link Almahadeus). User Ash10 has also created a program that automates conversion of postcodes to lat/long and will be sharing this in the future.

You can also extract 'Favourites' from your Garmin unit using software from http://www.easygps.com.

Create a new file in Excel (or similar) and make 4 columns: longitude, latitude, name, details.
Insert the long/lat in the relevent columns, put the name in the name column (eg 'Boots, Bradford') and any other details in the 4th column (eg 'Darley Street, 01274 888555').
Save the file as a comma separated value (.csv) file - e.g boots.csv.
Then create a 22x22 pixel icon and save it as an 8-bit .bmp file - name it exactly the same as the associated csv file but with .bmp at the end instead.
Upload to the unit using Garmin's POI Loader (http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927)

Last edited by MaFt on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
milleniumedition
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt
Thanks for the info on making poi's. I work for a leading tyre fast fit company and have postcodes for all the fast fit centres across the uk which is in the hundreds. Is there any quicker way than going on streetmap and looking up the lat and long? As I would really like to submit this info as many people may find it useful. Cheers Andy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milleniumedition wrote:
Hi MaFt
Thanks for the info on making poi's. I work for a leading tyre fast fit company and have postcodes for all the fast fit centres across the uk which is in the hundreds. Is there any quicker way than going on streetmap and looking up the lat and long? As I would really like to submit this info as many people may find it useful. Cheers Andy

unfortunately not that i've come across... unless head office happens to store lat/long info of all their premises?

MaFt
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me the list of postcodes - with addresses if they're to hand.

I've written a few tools to do this automatically, then I can pass them over to MaFt to host... 8)
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try this site:
http://ukpostcodes.boldlygoingnowhere.org/

I think that it would also be very useful for you MaFt.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
PM me the list of postcodes - with addresses if they're to hand.

I've written a few tools to do this automatically, then I can pass them over to MaFt to host... 8)

sounds good mate. the accuracy can always be improved later, but postcodes should get ya near enough.

cheers

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
You can also try this site:
http://ukpostcodes.boldlygoingnowhere.org/

I think that it would also be very useful for you MaFt.

looks good!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Making POI Files (FAQ) Reply with quote

Thanks for these instructions, MaFt. I visit a lot of nature reserves in Sussex and Kent. They don't usually have postcodes and very few of them are included in the POIs, but I have got grid references that I can enter into Streetmap, so this will be a great help!

MaFt wrote:
Then create a 22x22 pixel icon and save it as an 8-bit .bmp file - name it exactly the same as the associated csv file but with .bmp at the end instead.

Sorry if I'm being dim, but are all .bmp files 8-bit? I've resized to 22x22 pixels using Irfanview. Do I have to convert it to 8-bit, and if so how, or do I just save it as a .bmp file?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just save it as a bitmap - chances are it'll work. just early on there were some problems with some higher depth bitmaps.

MaFt
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Making POI Files (FAQ) Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

Create a new file in Excel (or similar) and make 4 columns: longitude, latitude, name, details.
Insert the long/lat in the relevent columns, put the name in the name column (eg 'Boots, Bradford') and any other details in the 4th column (eg 'Darley Street, 01274 888555').

What format is the Lat & Long please? Or is it a smart parser?

Also you can do a similar trick with Google maps. If you double click to centre the map then go to "Link to this page" and then RMB "Copy link location" (Firefox dunno about IE), then paste somewhere, you get a very long URL with lat and long buried in it.

Incedently, Google maps *does* have a smart parser and seems to take Lat & Long in any format you care to throw at it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lat/long need to be in decimal degrees. eg 43.1122312
south and west need to be negative

MaFt
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Apologies - service issues Reply with quote

In the recent hot weather some of our systems were running close to their operational limit and non-critical systems had to be shut down. Sadly this includes the postcode converter!

Some new kit is on the way so the site should be back up again soon. I'll post again when its back online. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this info but as the thread includes several references to the converter website it seemed appropriate......
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the info mugwump! i've got the fans on full whack for my pc... serves meright for running it 24/7 i suppose!

MaFt
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here! 24x7 is tough for a non-profit site!

Things are back up for now but service may well suffer for a bit whilst some rework takes place.....

Its just soooooo hot! 8)

Also, our checks are showing that it might not be the heat directly, it may have been due to the extreme lightning activity we have had as a result!

Wind, rain, snow, sun, we British are never prepared! Laughing
capsecum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Just a quick tip re POIs Reply with quote

If all your UK POIs are appearing off the coast of West Africa, you have mixed up Longitude and Latitude in your CSV.

Yep been there done that. Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: