Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RIDER – Locking up whilst in motion.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RIDER – Locking up whilst in motion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbarron1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: TomTom RIDER – Locking up whilst in motion. Reply with quote

Having upgraded to v6.14 and installed the speedcam database from this site, the TTR now locks up and reboots itself whilst in motion.

When it gets back to the "owner information" screen, if I dont press continue I still get the Gatso warning at the appropriate times through the headset. If, when I reach a set of lights I do hit continue, it plots my position perfectly whilst at a standstill.

However, when I pull away and before I even get 10mph registered on the TTR, the display freezes again for 20 or 30 seconds before rebooting itself.

I have just the UK map installed with the PGPSW Speedcam database, TomTom home shows there is around 20mb free space left on the SD card (although I have just ordered a 2Gb card).

Help please!
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ya what bike are you on and where is the TTR on the bike

you mite need to shield the TTR from any buzzing from your bike IE the rubber tape on the mount ,i think its your SD card moveing about check it
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps have you read this all the way down

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38672
robbarron1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Courierman, yeah, I read that other post of yours just before I posted my own Plea for help!

The bike is a Honda Varadero XL1000V (2001) and the TTR is mounted on the handlebars, using the rubber tape, and the mount all seems quite secure to me...certainly doesn't seem to be vibrating.

What also makes me think it's not a vibration prob is that it'll lock up even if I'm moving at 2mph over a very smooth surface.

I cant think that it's near enough to any large electrical field to cause it to freeze like that. Maybe as you say the SD card is moving about, seems fairly secure though. I'll restore my backup onto the new 2Gb Sd when it arrives and see if that helps, otherwise I'm stumped!
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a big old thumper make sure that TTR is laying in the holder about 45 deg ,i used all the rubber tape on my 650 deauville look out you can snap the mount when you do the bolt up
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps Tom TOM home will now update you to V 6.150
robbarron1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, used all the rubber tape on mine too...you reckon the actual angle of the holder can make that much difference then?

I've just done a backup/restore onto a 512SD that I nabbed out of my phone, not had chance to test it outside yet, but it all boots up ok.

If 6.15 is out so soon after 6.14, makes you think TT have arsed it up somewhere along the line! I'll upgrade to 6.15 this afternoon and see how I get on on my way home.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated Smile
robbarron1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to 6.15 now...not had a chance to test it outside yet, but I fear my problems run deeper! Crying or Very sad

Just did a "Pre Plan Route" from Home to Work, and I get the same symptoms as when actually riding – the display locks up before the map even has a chance to move, and the unit restarts itself.

I'm now on a 512Mb SD with about 390Mb or more spare, so it can't be a space issue. Same thing happens whether using 2D or 3D maps and with minimal status bar info.

Guessing I've got big problems! 8O
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound like bad data if i was you i'd use the 128m card it came with ,make backup with that and use it to make a master backup to put on your bigger cards then do the update to v 6.150 all so your need very fast cards to run on TTR 133X cards i'v nether had any prob with the card it came with but looking at all the post you only get probs when you use other cards
robbarron1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, just put the original 128 card back in, done the upgrade to 6.15 on that...still the same problems, it locks up and restarts itself the second the map starts to move (or even before).

Seems to be a redraw issue with the maps. If I "Turn off map display" in the preferences, it'll allow me to pre plan a route and use the Show route Demo with no problems at all.

Just a thought on memory isues, the TTR is showing as having 29Mb of RAM with 4.8Mb free...is this right? Doesn't seem like an awful lot of RAM to me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: