Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Camera Manager Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Camera Manager Software
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Ash10's Camera Manager Software Reply with quote

I've been busy writing some new software - it's called Camera Manager, and here it is:

LINK TO LATEST VERSION

When you run Camera Manager, it installs itself in the system tray - in this case, next to the clock:

Camera Manager doesn't just sit there, oh no! Once a day, it checks to see if there is an update available to the PocketGPSWorld.com speed camera database.

If there is an update available, Camera Manager automatically downloads it, saves it to your POI directory, unzips the contents, and tweaks the files to give time warnings (rather than distance warnings).

Once it's done all that, Camera Manager politely lets you know that the update is ready for downloading to your Garmin device using POI Loader.

Camera Manager will continue to periodically remind you to update your Garmin device, until you do so using POI Loader.

Note that you will need to be logged in to PocketGPSWorld.com in order for Camera Manager to check for updates. This needs to be done using Internet Explorer Sad, although once you've logged in with IE you can go back to using Firefox etc. Smile

If you're not logged in to PocketGPSWorld.com, Camera Manager can't check for updates, and it will let you know accordingly:

Right-clicking on the icon will make Camera Manager repeat the last message bubble ;)

Left-clicking on the icon will open the Settings window:

The warning time settings work pretty much as before - you can either type a value directly, or use the adjuster arrows to change the existing value.

The current version of the PocketGPSWorld.com speed camera database is displayed, as well as the time and date this was last checked, and also shown the working directory used by POI Loader.

Clicking the Cancel button will close the Settings window, discarding any changes that have been made.

Clicking the OK button will close the Settings window, save the current settings, and if any changes have been made - re-tweak the files and prompt you to update your Garmin unit once again.

Clicking the Quit button exits Camera Manager completely - this is important, because clicking on the Close (X) icon or pressing Alt-F4 will only close the Settings window.

Note that Camera Manager is a persistent application - when run, it sets itself up to be run automatically following the next computer restart. To stop this, simply exit using the Quit button described above.

Please remember that this is currently beta - comments, suggestions, or bug-reports are most welcome... Smile

Last edited by Ash10 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 7 times in total
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks very good i will install it to test
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - seems to be working here.....

8)
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not working for me keeps shuting down i think i try a restart
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Downloaded, ran Camera Manager, it downloaded latest Camera files and converted to GPX and reported ready to upload.

Then i noticed the timings where not set to the same values as the old Camera Updater software i used previously, so i adjusted them and deleted the new GPX files and database download. However i now can't get Camera Manager to redownload the database and run it thropugh your software to generate new GPX files based on the new timings i selected.

It keeps reporting Last Checked: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 21:31:46 even though i have closed and re-started the Camera Manager several times. It's now 21:50...
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Then i noticed the timings where not set to the same values as the old Camera Updater software i used previously, so i adjusted them and deleted the new GPX files and database download. However i now can't get Camera Manager to redownload the database and run it thropugh your software to generate new GPX files based on the new timings i selected.

It keeps reporting Last Checked: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 21:31:46 even though i have closed and re-started the Camera Manager several times. It's now 21:50...

It won't re-download the database, because you already have the lastest version downloaded! ;)

Quote:
Clicking the OK button will close the Settings window, save the current settings, and if any changes have been made - re-tweak the files and prompt you to update your Garmin unit once again.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ash..i think we are very lucky to have someone with your skills on this forum.... Clap
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It won't re-download the database, because you already have the lastest version downloaded!

Even if i delete the database it downloads it still won't do it again.

Quote:

I did see that however i can't see any new GPX files being created. For example if i create a set at 9:00 and i then change the settings at 9:300clicking ok doesn't produce new GPX files or update the old ones (at least the time stamps don't change from 9:00.

Perhaps i'm missing something but the first time i saw a database file had been downloaded and then a set of new GPX files appeared. Then i changed the settings and deleted the database file but it never attempts to downlaod the database file again or create new GPX files.

Quote:
thanks ash..i think we are very lucky to have someone with your skills on this forum....

Very true. I wish i had just 10% of Ash10's talent.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Perhaps i'm missing something but the first time i saw a database file had been downloaded and then a set of new GPX files appeared. Then i changed the settings and deleted the database file but it never attempts to downlaod the database file again or create new GPX files.

Er, why did you delete the database file?! Confused It won't be downloaded again until PGPSW release the next version...

Undo the delete and restore the database file from your Recycle Bin 8)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Er, why did you delete the database file?! It won't be downloaded again until PGPSW release the next version...

Undo the delete and restore the database file from your Recycle Bin

Testing the software as asked.....
Quote:
comments, suggestions, or bug-reports are most welcome...

Now i deleted the file to see if i could make it re-generate the GPX files (i.e. make it think it hadn't been run yet) I'm still stuck with the first set of GPX files it made after it was first run which have the wrong values in them. Subsequnet runs don't seem to be able to generate new upadted GPX files.

I can't see how to get the software to re-generate the GPX files if i decide to change the values after i've run the software once.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Now i deleted the file to see if i could make it re-generate the GPX files (i.e. make it think it hadn't been run yet) I'm still stuck with the first set of GPX files it made after it was first run which have the wrong values in them. Subsequnet runs don't seem to be able to generate new upadted GPX files.

You won't be able to regenerate the GPX files, because the source data (ie: the downloaded camera database) has been deleted.

As mentioned in the instructions, the GPX files are regenerated if you change any of the timing settings and subsequently click on the OK button.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Solved it. My idiocy...... Embarassed

I had put the download back (i didn't make this clear - sorry)

However it now works - well at least i can make it work as it was never broken. I think the problem was i wasn't actually changing the values!!! Difficult to explain but I'll try. I was changing the values but it appears that due to my indecisiveness over what timings i use / used it appears i was just setting the same timings over and over - hence no new files. Just now i changed all values to 60 seconds and it generated the new files.

Sorry. Embarassed

Great software BTW.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont need this now but awesome ! Well done and thanks for putting in the hard work for us 8)
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Ash, seems good to me.

One question though...

As a Firefox user I really like to avoid using IE as much as possible. Do I need to log into PocketGPSWorld.com every time using IE or will a one off and save password do it?

Also as a feature request, could you include a checkbox (and related download code) to get the POIs from Mafts Site?
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
As a Firefox user I really like to avoid using IE as much as possible. Do I need to log into PocketGPSWorld.com every time using IE or will a one off and save password do it?

Your in good company, there! ;)

Just use IE to log in to PGPSW once, don't log out, then don't ever touch IE again - even with someone's else's bargepole... 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 1 of 77

Jump to: