Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - Postcodes overview ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Postcodes overview ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Help - Postcodes overview ? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Sorry to be a pain, but could some kind soul spare 5 mins to give a brief overview of the various Post Code search POIs that have now been made available ? I understand a couple of people have put a lot of hard work into this.

I've read a couple of the threads, but my head is spinning. I just don't understand how each works, and what you have to do. Perhaps if someone could do a couple of sentences overview, then maybe add a 'pros' and 'cons' list. i.e. putting it into a digestable form.

I'm already running the speed camera database, and some other add-ons via PocketGPS, but I really am struggling to understand the Post Code thing, and I can't find an overview anywhere. Or alternatively, could someone point me in the right direction of some info please ?

Being selfish here, my own main aim is to be able to route to Post Codes while on the move.

Cheers

P.S. Weird co-incidence my initials are J Maddock eh?
ChrisDev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm that's strange, it seems no-one knows what the postcode poi's are for! I would appreciate an explaination of how to use them too, and exactly what benefit they bring.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the "readme" text from the relavant program. Hope it helps.

Program name: CodeSearch v1.04
Purpose: To prepare a TomTom Navigator POI overlay for a selection of UK Postcodes.

Installation: Download and unzip into a single folder the Postcode data files put on the PocketGPS website by George Spanellis (see the United Kindom section at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtompoi.php. You need only unzip files for those Postcode Areas that you will want to search. When unzipped the Postcode file names have the form CodeSearch_X_region.ov2, where X is a one or two character code denoting the Postcode Area, and region is a geographic area such as South_Central. Do not rename these files as the format of the name is built into the CodeSearch program.

Unzip the files CodeSearch.exe, CodeSearch.hlp and default_symbol.bmp into the same folder as the overlay files and create a Shortcut on the Windows Desktop to run the program. Right click on the Shortcut icon and select Properties. On the Shortcut Tab edit the Start in: field to point to the directory that will be used by default when running the program.

Replace the the files default_symbol.bmp with your preferred symbol. These will be used for any newly created TomTom Navigator overlay files.

Compatibilty: Tested on a Windows XP Home edition computer, but it should work on any 32 bit Windows system ie Windows 95 and higher.

R J Davies
24/9/2003

email: rjdavies@btopenworld.com
shammy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Missing Code_search.exe link? Reply with quote

Hi RJ

I have tried to follow your instructions but can't seem to find the Code_search.exe file on the tomtom site. It looks like there may be some other link which is now changed or removed - can you please point me in the right direction?

If you'll pardon the pun, that is

Wink

Shammy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you got code_search.exe from Question Richard did have the link in his reply but it had gained a ) and so didn't work. I've edited his post to correct this.

The CodeSearch Zip files are not on TomTom's site, they're on ours, see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtompoi.php. Scroll down to the UK Section and you will see the list of available CodeSearch Region files.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up
shammy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

I found the CodeSearch zip files on your site ok - what is confusing me is that there seemed to be no .exe file once I unzipped them. However, I then went back through a different route and it now seems to be working fine.

Thanks for replying so promptly - am really looking forward to being able to use the postcode search facility as it will give me an advantage over my partner is his shiny BMW with its much less flexible satnav!

Cheers!

Shammy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: