Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Speed Camera Editing / Loading Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Speed Camera Editing / Loading Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicbowker wrote:
I've installed the POI's as per the PocketGPSWorld thing. In particular I downloaded the file: pgpsw-speed-cams.zip whicyh contains the one gpx file.

Use the POI Loader version of the database - and yes, this has been covered before... Laughing
nicbowker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.

done that and lo and behold it works.

now.

problem two.

the Garmin POI loader just freezes after I click next. I've set it to express and everytime I just get a lock up.

I've tried leaving it for a minute or two but nothing.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicbowker wrote:
the Garmin POI loader just freezes after I click next. I've set it to express and everytime I just get a lock up.

I've tried leaving it for a minute or two but nothing.

POI Loader is very slow with GPX files - leave it for much longer, say 5 - 10 minutes.

Guess what? Yep, this has also been covered before... Laughing
nicbowker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah.

got an error message.

there's not enough room to put all the files on.

how do I delete the original ones?
nicbowker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so like you say - it's all been covered before - i'm just a biut blonde at times!

so having looked back, it says that uploading again overwrites all the old POI's.

so how come i'm having this "too many points to upload" problem?

I've even tried doing the "user reset" as stated in the manual. and guess what. that doesn'ae work either!

is it me?? 8O
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPX files are larger and if included with lots of other POIs won't fit on the newer Garmins with the internal memory only. If you need all the POIs then you'd be better of getting a transflash card and putting the POIs on it rather than on the Garmin's internal memory.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
GPX files are larger and if included with lots of other POIs won't fit on the newer Garmins with the internal memory only. If you need all the POIs then you'd be better of getting a transflash card and putting the POIs on it rather than on the Garmin's internal memory.

It's not the size of the GPX files that's the problem - POI Loader converts everything to GPI format before dumping it to the unit.

But you're right about the size of the internal memory on newer i3's - it's pretty restrictive. You won't be able to fit the speed cameras and all of MaFt's POI.

As you say, better to get a TransFlash card and stick everything on that.
nicbowker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for being totally dumb (i'm having a bad week, got a stone hit the windscreen last night and the mot is due on monday doh!).

There's a transflash card in there. Do you mean "get a bigger one"?
dicko-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
nicbowker you will not get a bigger card in as the slot is one size? Laughing Out Loud ?but you can put a bigger memory sized card in
nicbowker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just had a four hour battle with the numpty's at the insurance company to get my cracked windscreen sorted that's the kind of chuckle I needed.

thank you! Laughing :D Laughing

so how do I unload all the poi's on the card so that I can start again? is there an easy way?

Oh and ironically, out of the two speed cameras I drive past on my way home, only one is on the database! all that effort too! and the one that I did drive past only bleeped at me from about 10ft away, yet I;'ve got the settings at 60 secs warning.

any ideas?
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
Once you've got your preferred bitmaps/icons in POI Loader's working directory, right-click then Properties and set them to Read Only ;)
'Idea'Thanks Ash, great bit if advice. I have tried this and it works fine but... Your app produces errors as it can't overwrite the bmp files. Would it be possible for it to either ignore this problem (if the files already exist and can't be overwritten then just ignore them) or to have a checkbox saying keep existing bmp files?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, great app :D
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
Ash10 wrote:
Once you've got your preferred bitmaps/icons in POI Loader's working directory, right-click then Properties and set them to Read Only ;)

'Idea'Thanks Ash, great bit if advice. I have tried this and it works fine but... Your app produces errors as it can't overwrite the bmp files. Would it be possible for it to either ignore this problem (if the files already exist and can't be overwritten then just ignore them) or to have a checkbox saying keep existing bmp files?

With this software I've tried to keep everything as simple as possible (for people who aren't sure what they're doing), but still flexible (for those that do).

For example:

If the software didn't complain that it couldn't save the bitmaps - you could end up with no camera icons on-screen Sad

Similarly, if there was a checkbox for "Don't overwrite bitmaps" and you weren't sure how it should be set - you could also end up with no camera icons Crying or Very sad

Far better to have a basic functionality that is guaranteed 8)

(If you're savvy enough to set the bitmaps to read-only, then you're savvy enough to ignore the error... Laughing)
nicbowker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash,

Can you explain a bit more about the voice hacking tool or point me in the direction of a forum psting where this "has all been covered before" :D

Cheers guv.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicbowker wrote:
Can you explain a bit more about the voice hacking tool or point me in the direction of a forum psting where this "has all been covered before" :D

various voice stuff here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31721
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
trevf wrote:
Ash10 wrote:

With this software I've tried to keep everything as simple as possible (for people who aren't sure what they're doing), but still flexible (for those that do).

For example:

If the software didn't complain that it couldn't save the bitmaps - you could end up with no camera icons on-screen Sad

Similarly, if there was a checkbox for "Don't overwrite bitmaps" and you weren't sure how it should be set - you could also end up with no camera icons Crying or Very sad

Far better to have a basic functionality that is guaranteed 8)

(If you're savvy enough to set the bitmaps to read-only, then you're savvy enough to ignore the error... Laughing)
Savvy, that's me!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: