Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Directional Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Directional Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathaniel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Directional Database Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Incredibly impressive job. Well done and many thanks to you all. Thumbs Up

Are there any plans to add the POI road direction in the near future?

Best regards,
Nathaniel
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, the problem is that GPS in most cases isn't as accurate to be able to determine if the camera is on the side of the road you are on, or the other side of the road, which means most apps will give you two warnings instead of one.

Some apps are trying to show directional movement and suggest which side of the road to be on, but if you're not on a motorway it's nearly impossible to tell.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Is it possible Reply with quote

Is it not possible for the software to consider the bearing you are heading and if that is not within so many degrees of the direction the camera works, then it ignores it? So if the camera only works on an Eastbound road, you will be warned only if your bearing is between 80 and 110 degrees ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but how do you know a camera is facing east bound or west bound ? When you press a button to record a camera, depending on your current Lat/Long it may think you are in a field, or on the opposite carriage way if it's a dual carriageway or motorway.

I would guess some more intelligent software could be programmed to track the current direction you are travelling and when someone records a camera it could then make an informed/intelligent judgement regarding which way the camera is facing, e.g. if you're travelling east and you record a camera then assume it's facing east and not west, so don't then alert to the camera when travelling west, but currently there is none that will do this.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Directional Reply with quote

It is a feature of dedicated systems such as the Morpheous Road Pilot. Their database must show the direction that cameras work, but I suppose that is why the cost of these units is so high.
Nathaniel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Recording the direction Reply with quote

Dear Dave,
Again I start with flattery, as I am impressed by your prompt and practical answers.

Regarding the directional POI database.

Programming an application to take into account the POI road direction, wouldn't require too much hassle. In fact if this is all that is needed I am prepared to volantire my time. I would be happy to contribute to you and your team, and show my appreciation for your efforts.

Best regards,
Nathaniel
Nathaniel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording the direction Reply with quote

Nathaniel wrote:
Dear Dave,
Again I start with flattery, as I am impressed by your prompt and practical answers.

Regarding the directional POI database.

Programming an application to take into account the POI road direction, wouldn't require too much hassle. In fact if this is all that is needed I am prepared to volantire my time. I would be happy to contribute to you and your team, and show my appreciation for your efforts.

Best regards,
Nathaniel

Just to clarify:
I don't mean I can achieve this with the current database.
Rather, I propose to add directional recording to your current POI recording system.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Directional Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
It is a feature of dedicated systems such as the Morpheous Road Pilot. Their database must show the direction that cameras work, but I suppose that is why the cost of these units is so high.

Indeed, those companies that offer GPS based Gatso units have teams that manually verify each camera submitted, they visit the location, verify it exists and record accurate location data as well as speed limit, direction and camera type.

Now try doing that on a PocketPC whilst travelling past a camera at 60MPH! I think that the current software requires as much user intervention as can be safely expected of a driver who is supposed to be in command of a vehicle!

It would be useful if the POI recording software could capture direction of travel and add this to the POI info but we would then need to educate the user that he can no longer record cameras on the opposite carriageway, perhaps that is not impossible?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording the direction Reply with quote

Nathaniel wrote:

It would be superb to have an application similar to CheckPOInt that had the addition of direction information, thinking aloud we could use the existing database aas a starting point and add the any missing additional data for existing cameras over time as well as capturing new locations with all existing data, type, speed and direction?
nicknick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that there are many cameras that can be swivelled so can point in one direction one day but the other the next
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the commercial databases recognise these and indicate that they can operate in either direction.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: