Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 168 Screen Balnking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 168 Screen Balnking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Mio 168 Screen Balnking Reply with quote

I have a Mio 168. When using Memory Map I do not require the screen display all the time but do want the PPC to remain on (MM has a setting which overrides the auto-switch off) to log actual route. I start the mp3 player (no play list), then use screen toggle to blank the screen to reduce battery consumption (seems to work well but I don't have any figures on how much longer the battery lasts as yet).

I was wondering if there is a small program that will provide this facility when one of the front buttons is pressed. Anyone know of one? It will save having to keep switching between MM & mp3 player each time.

Is this a 'Mio 168' thing or is it the same for all ppcs i.e. could MM incorporate it within their program to work on all ppcs
Tewy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 168 Screen Balnking Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding thick how do you 'use screen toggle' to blank the screen.

I have the same set up and would like to get extended battery life.

Regards,

Tewy
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use 'screen toggle' with Memory Map (or other gps based software but following instruction apply to MM).

First make sure that both MM & mp3player are on the start menu.

From within MM

tap MENU
Today Screen
tap START
tap MP3PLAYER (in start menu,with NO playlist)
tap TOOL
SCREEN TOGGLE

This will blank the screen, & it will not respond to screen taps.

When you wish to wiew MM again (MM will still run & log a track) then one short push on the POWER BUTTON will bring the screen to life.

tap START (menu bar reads mpsplayer but tapping it brings up the start menu).
tap MEMORY MAP
You are now back to MM & the track has been logged during 'screen sleep' mode

It's a bit of a faff on but seems to extend the battery life by approx. 25%.

I think that if there was a utility that toggled the screen off either built into MM or patched in by a third party program (that way the toggle button would be in MM so on power on MM would be displayed) the battery life would be further extended as I think that mp3player will use some even with no playlist playing.

NOW THERE'S a challenge for software writers, mp3player is a windows program bundled with Windows pocket pc ver 4.20.0 so the screen toggle utility must work on all ppcs
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm I'd like this on my MIO A701 too.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a better way of blanking the screen, it is a small free programthat runs on the pda. You asign it to a button (I use the record button) which, when pressed blanks the screen & tapping the screen does not wake it up so it doesn't matter if it is accidentally nocked. I requires a brief press on the power button to wake up. The only program which doesn't work with it (that I have found) is TomTom. It is called screen off. Find at here http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14498
SirSwampThing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google for Screen Switch 1.1 by Art In Code.

install it the set up one of the front buttons on yr ppc to `turn off` yr screen...easy and works with 99.99% of my ppc software.
Or, try SPB Pocket Plus, this is a really good all round utility to have on yr ppc and this has a screen off option that can be set up to a button too...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: