Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony Nav-U50/70 POI problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Nav-U50/70 POI problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Sony Nav-U50/70 POI problem Reply with quote

This is for information to save hair being torn out.

I have a U70 - I imagine the U50 exhibits the same issue.

The POI do NOT currently appear in 3D mode, only 2D mode.

For information. I have mailed Sony UK about this. They have confirmed that

1) It is a bug

2) They are looking at it

3) If(!) it does get fixed they will put a new release on their support website in due course. That site is at

http://support.sony-europe.com/EVE/navigation/navigation.asp?l=en
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info dippy m8.
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I bought Sony NV-50 for benelux this week after comparing it with tomtom one, navman ICN 520 and via-michelin and after lot of research and review reading I decided to buy sony. earlier i had bought via-michelin which i returned in two days. but i am very satisfied with sony. the map clarity is the best i have ever seen. interested folks can see the demo option. the sound is very good clear and actually names the streets like take right turn to N 150. the sound prompts are very accurate and better than tomtom and viamichelin which i used for trial for some time. but of course it has some flip side. e.g. it doesnt show street names and POI in 3D mode. But the 2D mode is great, so thats not a big problem. also i have not figured out how to add POIs. time to come hopefully sony will have that option if it waqnts to compete with others. i have not tried TMC as i have to buy a special cradle. will try later if i get good feedback. the cradle is jerky and this makes the unit bump up and down in high speed. but the maps are very clear during sunny days as well as it has a light sensor which brightens up the light depending on surrounding light. overall a great unit.
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not experienced the cradle being "jerky" myself - might just be the combination of road/car type/speed I guess?
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or may be my cardle has a problem,or I didnt fit it properly. Did you find a way out to add POIs?
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikash_sinha wrote:
the cradle is jerky and this makes the unit bump up and down in high speed.

I had the same problem the vertical adjuster sleave bolt bottoms before it fully tightens. What I did was to add a washer smaller than the housing so as to stop the nouched adjuster from sliding. Also I have placed a small rubber pad under the unit resting on the dash.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony Nav-U50/70 POI problem Reply with quote

Dippy wrote:
This is for information to save hair being torn out.

I have a U70 - I imagine the U50 exhibits the same issue.

The POI do NOT currently appear in 3D mode, only 2D mode.

For information. I have mailed Sony UK about this. They have confirmed that

1) It is a bug

2) They are looking at it

3) If(!) it does get fixed they will put a new release on their support website in due course. That site is at

http://support.sony-europe.com/EVE/navigation/navigation.asp?l=en

After the 1.04 upgrade (alot more upgrades required before it functions as it should) I changed to 3D to see if they had rectified the POI problem. You do get POI displayed on the screen but only at your position and the last bit of screen below the pointer. Really useful. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dippy,
can we add more POIs like speed camera databse using your method? i have still not tried adding speed camera as i was aunale to download the software from navifriend. will try again.
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now that,s very interesting about the 1.04 giving a sort of 3d poi thing, Mr 2216. I chased Sony last week about this and got a stock holding response (we know, we're still looking at it).

I have seen pois appear on odd occsions in 1.03 in the manner you describe, but it's not at every poi, just random ones! I've not put 1.04 on yet, as I had a major system crash and been rebuilding , but will be trying it myself in the next day or two.

As to the poi question, Vikash, you can add the speed cameras using poi observer, but note they don't appear on the map, nor can you route to them. It just puts an icon on the screen when you get near one.
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dippy, I downloaded 1.04 yesterday and to my disappointment, the POIs didnt show at all during my 45 km drive to office in 3D mode. so that problem remains as it is.
so the speed camera databse downloaded by POI observer will not give an alarm when you approach speed camera? Sony is such a good unit. I wonder why they left such basic gaps.
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Vikash, must have not made myself clear.

If you put POI Observer and the speed camera database on your Sony unit, then it certainly WILL play an alarm and display an icon as you approach the cameras.

What it WON'T do it display them as pois on the map in either 3d or 2d mode, nor will it allow you to navigate to them (not that you'd want to!)

But as a speed camera warning system, it works very well.
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a bit sceptical about my unit getting crashed as the program you suggsted is difficult to downlaod as well as lenghty too. is there any shorter and easier way. Some of the forum mates have mentioned that it took them 4 hours. But i do appreciate the effort you took in putting on this site in a very layman language. If its working that well, i will certainly try this weekend. how can i know if belgian speed camera database is available for my sonyplus poi observer?
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not for the faint hearted, and if you think you might get into trouble and not know how to get out, then my advice is not to do it.

If you find an easier way, then we'd all like to know!

Having said that, if it does all go wrong you can just reinstall the Sony application easily enough from the CD. It's not so much it's difficult, anyway, it's just there are a lot of steps to set it up. Once done it's fine.

I don't know about the Belgian speed camera database I'm afraid! Isn't there one on this site somewhere, or am I mad?
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try to download it this weekend. another problem is the street names dont show in 3 d mode which is quite irritating.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikash_sinha m8 Dippy has done a good job of what to do and there are now a few of us running POI observer with great results. It is worth the effort and so far ( touch wood ) it has worked faultlessly.

Dippy m8 I only tried it in 3D for a short while as I like 2D with high zoom and you may be right about only a few POI being displayed. Maybe they will sort it or maybe not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: