Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 4 Screen Update Frequency
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 4 Screen Update Frequency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Navigon 4 Screen Update Frequency Reply with quote

Pocket-PC: LOOX 600.

Running TomTom 3 on it is no problem :D , but when I use Navigon 4 the updating of the screen just does not keep up... Crying or Very sad

I read that Navigon is just bad at this in general 8O , but I wonder if Navigon 4 also is too 'heavy' for my 'poor old' LOOX 600...?

How do you experience the update frequency on your screen with Navigon 4:
- at entering a roundabout ?
- recalculating after taking another route ?

Thanks for sharing !
Eric
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

I have an iPAQ 4350 running nothing else but Navigon and POIwarner.

I always restart before a journey and to be honest the screen update is fine in 2D mode. 3D in a City is a different matter though.

Route recalculation is almost instant no matter how long the route is (this was one of my major bugbears with my SP3).

How many other applications are you running on your PDA? you could try cutting this down.

Other than that I'm honestly not sure.
Eric67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>Chris; the screen update is fine in 2D mode. 3D in a City is a different matter though.

Thanks for your answer Chris,

the 4150 is known for its good performance, so if 3D is still slow then Navigon has a problem here...

But if route recalculation is almost instant at yours, then my LOOX really has a problem; the screen gets frozen for several seconds... I guess the processor cannot keep up at all...

Since I have bought a new GNS TMC antenna and want to continue using Navigon instead of TomTom, I guess I'm up to a new PDA... (though TomTom is doing fine on my LOOX...)

Anyone out there using a PDA with CF-2 and SD that is working fine with Navigon 4 ?

Thanks again, Smile Confused Smile
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Eric

I am using Navigon 4.2 with POI-Warner on a Medion 95000 (mio168 clone) and as far as I can tell it updates very well, I do notice a slight difference if there are a lot of poi's on screen, but I have now set them via POI-Warner to a max of 10, but not sure that you can change the number of default Navigon poi's displayed.

As regards junctions, islands etc. I have not had any problems, recalculating times can vary depending on how may roads are around you at that time, in a town then maybe it will be longer, but it has to realise that its of course, and that can take several seconds before it starts it's recal.

Now my in-laws have a new Range Rover, paid a couple of thousand pounds for the in-built gps system, but its not really any quicker, maps do look nice on the larger screen, but that's about all, still tried to turn us into a one ways street the wrong way (in York), so the maps still have there faults.
Eric67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PocketGPS,

that's interesting, so you can just run Navigon 4 on a 300 MHz PDA...

Now I have to ask a collegue of mine, who has a MIO 168, to install my Navigon software on it and compare the results...!

At www.pocketpc-club.nl I checked some indexes from both...:

MIO168 LOOX 600
1065 830 (SPB Benchmark Index)
1337 2225 (Graphics Index)
1367 803 (CPU Index)
805 715 (File System Index)
986 571 (Platform Index)

So, the only good thing about the Loox600 is its graphics index,
the rest is like a piece of crap...

Is it a high CPU Index that makes fast recalculation possible..., my Loox600 lacks of updating the screen fast enough even though the graphics index scores high... I guess it needs a good CPU Index too to control the information to the screen...

Thanks for any thoughts !
Eric67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Hello Eric

As regards junctions, islands etc. I have not had any problems, recalculating times can vary depending on how may roads are around you at that time, in a town then maybe it will be longer, but it has to realise that its of course, and that can take several seconds before it starts it's recal.

I clocked my 'lost in space' time just on a 2 km. ride, and my screen just blocks for around half a minute...! Evil or Very Mad

Only thing is, I don't really know which new PDA to buy, I need CF-2 and SD...
- Does the H2210 have enough performance (to update the screen in less than a few seconds...?!?)

- Should I go for the big and ugly LOOX 610 that has even better performance than the HP4700...?

Thanks for any answer,
Eric
NeilM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Navigon Screen Update frequency Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with MN4.2 on an HP iPAQ 5550. Screen update is typically every ~5 seconds and often the voice alerts are way too late - typically I get a '200 metre' warning within 50m of a turn and often get the 'turn now' after I've made the turn.

This happens even with nothing else runing on the PDA and with ~45M of free memory.

I have an open Support call with Navigon who do seem to be trying to be helpful.
Omertron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon Screen Update frequency Reply with quote

NeilM wrote:
I have a similar problem with MN4.2 on an HP iPAQ 5550. Screen update is typically every ~5 seconds and often the voice alerts are way too late - typically I get a '200 metre' warning within 50m of a turn and often get the 'turn now' after I've made the turn.

This happens even with nothing else runing on the PDA and with ~45M of free memory.

Strange as I have the same set-up and I find that the voice directions are spot on and its usually the map that is lagging behind - usually only be 10-20 yards but enough to confuse you in town when you're lost! Rolling Eyes

Stuart
NeilM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Navigon Screen Update Reply with quote

Thanks,

Its useful to know it's not likely to be a fundamentally unsolvable problem. Still awaiting next response from Navigon but in the meantime I'm planning to try another GPS unit (Currently using Emtac Crux Bluetooth).
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Eric67

Quote:
I clocked my 'lost in space' time just on a 2 km. ride, and my screen just blocks for around half a minute...!

I would say that map is between 1-2 seconds behind when driving at 30mph, this i would have thought was normal for most systems, for a start the gps system has to know where it is before the software knows what to do, the software then has to calculate the position, speed, direction, and who knows what else before it can display the screen display map, direction icons, eta, poi's, voice instructions, etc., all in all I think they do a fantastic job.

I am not sure how many Medion have sold of this unit, but as far as I know all the UK versions use the Navigon 4 software and have have not seen any problems with this on those units, there was a FirmWare update for the Medion to do with the map display sometimes turning 90 deg's at junctions but thats all, and that firmware update has stopped that problem, but that update came from Medion. Last time I looked on the Medion update web page it had been download over 14,000 times in the last month.
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed for the first time on upgrading to Medion Navigator 4 in 3D mode that the map update is 2 seconds behind when driving at motorway speeds. At first I thought this may be due to lack of performance of the older Medion 40600, but if you select approximately the manual zoom in 2D mode, its still 2 seconds behind.

I didn't notice this with Navigator 2 as its always does speed dependant zoom, meaning it zooms out far enough not to be able tell precisely when you pass other objects when traveling at speed. You'd only notice some lag when glancing at the display when going round roundabouts, but its difficult to tell how much lag you are experiancing in this case.

As mentioned this 2 second lag is due to having to take 2 position readings from the GPS to calculate the position and direction of travel, and most GPS units only provide one reading a second.

Cheers
---Dave
Eric67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Hello Eric67

Quote:
I clocked my 'lost in space' time just on a 2 km. ride, and my screen just blocks for around half a minute...!

...I've ordered the 'ugly' LOOX610 to upgrade from my 'old' second hand LOOX600, so in a few weeks I could test difference... I guess the updating frequency of the screen will not be so much better, but at least the rest will...

Thanks for all your replies Smile ,
Eric
saidtalib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon Screen Update frequency Reply with quote

NeilM wrote:

I have an open Support call with Navigon who do seem to be trying to be helpful.

I have exactly the same problem which is so frustrating the defeats the whole purpose of having a GPS Crying or Very sad

Can you please let me know the support gives you as a solution? thanks, my e-mail is almawali1010@hotmail.com

regards
sparks701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: medion 95000 Reply with quote

I have a medion 9500 using sat nav 4.2 I not sure if I have downloaded an update to 5 but does anyone know how to apply the update?please email any info to Andy sparks701@tiscali.co.uk
Pocketgps wrote:
Hello Eric

I am using Navigon 4.2 with POI-Warner on a Medion 95000 (mio168 clone) and as far as I can tell it updates very well, I do notice a slight difference if there are a lot of poi's on screen, but I have now set them via POI-Warner to a max of 10, but not sure that you can change the number of default Navigon poi's displayed.

Now my in-laws have a new Range Rover, paid a couple of thousand pounds for the in-built gps system, but its not really any quicker, maps do look nice on the larger screen, but that's about all, still tried to turn us into a one ways street the wrong way (in York), so the maps still have there faults.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: