Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Calibration with Memory Map 2004
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Calibration with Memory Map 2004
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Calibration with Memory Map 2004 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have my BT Socket GPS on order, and am finally joining the GPS world which I'm very excited about. Memory Map 2004 looks absolutely excellent, and I'm going to buy just the South East maps (it's not clear whether that includes London or not)

I'm going to Australia and was hoping I'd be able to scan in some maps of Sydney and various other places. Can anyone give me a brief intro as to what calibration actually is, whether Memory Map can do it, and how it works?

Many thanks

Will
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will,

I am afraid that due to the restrictions placed on Memory-Map by Ordnance Survey you are not allowed to calibrate maps with MM2004.
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even non-OS maps, Mike?

Will
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Will the OS place a lot of seamingly stupid and officious limits on what you can and cant do with thier maps.

The three main ones are:
1. No scanning or calibration of any maps
2. No software application upgrades which add new features.
3. No download to PC of maps over 1600 Km2

Which is why we have the ridiculous situation of having to have 2 sets of applications 1 for MM2003 and 1 for MM2004 maps. Companies like Memory Map are really going to get a lot of bad publicity from this when the real culprit is OS.

My suggestion is that you write to OS requesting the reasoning behind their policy. Why when you have spent your hard earned cash to get a valid licensed product they force you to buy the whole lot again.

I could rant on all night here.
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't see how using other company's maps, or even "home-made" scans of maps could affect their reputation - if it was their reputation they feared being obstructed. Well they've lost a(nother) customer - I need a topographical solution which allows me to scan in maps for my holiday, the sources of which I've yet to find. I suppose Oziexplorer would be best.

What a great shame - those 3D maps did look great

Will
TigerMoff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you download the Memory-map Navigator (free) from the American website www.memory-map.com you will be able to scan in your own maps but you will not be able to load OS maps into it. You can still purchase 2003 software which will allow you to self scan.
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently bought Memory Map Navigator 2004 having been encouraged to do so by Mike Barrett's excellent review.

I did this in the knowledge that I would not be able to calibrate maps.

May I suggest a workaround.

I have used a great piece of software called GPS Utility for a couple of years. One of my interests in using GPS is to investigate the routes of old/derelict canals.

This I do by downloading sections of 1890 vintage OS maps from www.old-maps.co.uk, joining these sections using Panavue Image Assembler, then calibrating these maps using GPS Utility (www.gpsu.co.uk).

Tracks, routes and waypoints are easily exported from GPS Utility in Maptech format and imported into Memory Map. (Just make sure that the datum in GPS Utility is set to WGS84 before calibration - you can use Memory Map itself to provide highly accurate calibration data.)

It works a treat!
Magrat_Garlick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been downloading both 1850 maps from the Old-Map site and the 25k maps from OS's GetaMap site and calibrating them using the American version of Navigator getting the co-ordinates from the OS version of Navigator with a 50k map loaded - works perfectly!

Magrat
maubp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_de_wet wrote:
I have recently bought Memory Map Navigator 2004 having been encouraged to do so by Mike Barrett's excellent review.

I did this in the knowledge that I would not be able to calibrate maps.

May I suggest a workaround.

Chris,

I've used GPSU and it can certainly import and export routes, tracks and waypoints in several formats.

GPSU can also calibrate maps, but saves this information in its own .GUX format files.

Are you saying you got the map & its calibration from GPSU into memory map?
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter

No - I just wanted to create overlays to import into Memory Map.

I don't believe that map import & calibration is allowed with the OS version (sadly!).

Chris
maubp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, thats what I thought you would say Sad

It would have been nice to use Memory-Maps scyned scrolling feature to compare the current OS map against something from www.old-maps.co.uk or any other scanned map.

I have some of the OS's seventh series maps of part of Wales which are just over 50 years old. Its interesting to trace the lines of old railways, which quite often have been turned into paths or cycle routes.

On the other hand, the Memory Map 2004 OS demo they sent me on CD will definitly import my .BMP maps, but does not seem to allow calibration! Confusing!
maubp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Will,

I am afraid that due to the restrictions placed on Memory-Map by Ordnance Survey you are not allowed to calibrate maps with MM2004.

and:
MikeB wrote:
Sorry Will the OS place a lot of seamingly stupid and officious limits on what you can and cant do with thier maps.

The three main ones are:
1. No scanning or calibration of any maps

Mike, I agree this is not very nice of the OS, but do think this point could be made clearer on the Pocket GPS World MM 2004 Review?

When I read it I thought it was clear that the review was about the OS edition of the software as it discusses the merits of the new 1:25k Explorer mapping.

Since Create your own geo-referenced maps was listed in the features I had expected that I would be able to calibrate my own (scanned) maps Question
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

TigerMoff wrote:
If you download the Memory-map Navigator (free) from the American website www.memory-map.com you will be able to scan in your own maps but you will not be able to load OS maps into it. You can still purchase 2003 software which will allow you to self scan.

I presume that the American version of Memory-Map 2004 and Memory-Map 2003 OS edition will both be OK installed on the same PC as my Memory-Map 2004 OS edition. But what about installing the PDA versions on my iPAQ?

I have will very soon install Memory-Map 2004 OS edition on my iPAQ for my use in England, etc. But I’d love to be able to scan in my 1980s OS Map of Jersey (Channel Islands). However before you say that I can’t do that due to licensing, I understand what you’re saying and I don’t want to break any licensing agreements but I believe that the 1980s OS 1:25,000 map is the last one that Ordnance Survey did of Jersey – I even emailed OS a year or so ago and they said that they (OS) don’t even do maps of Jersey any more as they’ve sold/given the rights to another mapping company.

So is there any way that I can legally scan in my 1980s map of Jersey for use on my iPAQ?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the American Version of MM2004 and calibrate the (non OS)map using this. Once the map is calibrated you can then use it with the MM2004 OS version.

Of course you could always manually calibrate the map as described here:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/downloads/PDF/mm_tsb7_A%20guide%20to%20self%20scan%20maps.pdf
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tip, MrT ...

The downloaded US version of MM2004 is just a demo, isn't it?

Will that do the job? Please clarify the exact steps required - do you still have to do the manual calibration that you refer to?

Thanks ...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: