Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poor volume with Quest/Autocom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor volume with Quest/Autocom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WilsonJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Poor volume with Quest/Autocom Reply with quote

I have a Quest I and RAM mount. I have the red/black adaptor supplied by Autocom to connect a GPS to the unit and still be able to use the mobile 'phone, however the GPS volume is quite literally too low to hear when the bike is anything other than stationary - despite having it at maximum on the Quest.

Both the Autocom and the Quest are bike powered.

Am I alone or has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I'm sure I read something about this here some months ago, but I can't find it now - perhaps I was imagining things again!
V2RJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: same here but solved. Reply with quote

Seems the red/black box attenuates things slightly, the box you have is to prevent a high pitched scream (earth loop feedback) with bike powered kit.

Two things to look at really, speaker/headphone positioning and volume from other sources then the VOX setting. Is the volume from the phone okay? if not you may want to experiment with moving the speaker positions up/down back/forward AND CLOSENESS. Also if the VOX setting is somewhat out (does the mic kick in too easily?) then music or any sound will be attenuated down.

I tried all these and couldn't get it perfect so opted for the high output helmet speakers, something like +100% power. Roughly the same size but a bit thicker.

Roger.
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or forget the autocom and get a mono earpiece from maplin for £4.99 works a treat and who wants to answer a mobile phone when you are out enjoying your bike fresh air goodroads countryside etc.
V2RJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Who wants a car???? Reply with quote

I have one of those jobs where I can be called at any time, I also have to travel a fair bit. I NEED to be contactable. Just so happens my phone is now PDA based (Orange SPV) so it runs TT5 quite nicely. It has replaced my aged Axim X5 for bike use anyway.

I would rather get about on two rather than four wheels hence the phone and sat nav setup. Original poster already has an Autocom so I don't think the earpiece jobby will suit, maybe the O/P needs an intercom as well?

I accept that some people just want to ride in silence, but not me.

Roger
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair Comment Roger I used to have a job like that meself and I gave it away company car and all now own half the pay and am twice as happy as I have more time with family and bike, band, touring etc as I figured out we are a short time living and a long time dead so may as well enjoy what we have time wise. I do take the mobile with me on the bike incase I brake down and need service but never switch it on otherwise as I like the enjoyment and sometimes the solitude if I am not ridding with a group but its differant strokes for differant folks as long as we enjoy our biking. (perhaps someone will turn up and rescue me on a bike sporting a pda gps phone and I'll get a red face)

cheers Bob
WilsonJO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys - unfortunately, like Roger, I spend quite a bit of time on-call and I need the 'phone option.

I guess I could do without the GPS audio - it's just very handy in towns - it means I don't have to take my eyes off the road.
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WilsonJO
there might be an other alternitive Maplin do a set of earphones kind of like earplugs they come with a sterio 3.5mm plug on and they might just cut out the background noice enough for you to use them with your Autocom they also cost £4.99 a cheap solution if they work.
Gerco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check here
[http://www.fastmute.de/vers02_engl/index2.php?id=&parent=&versendet=]
Can handle phone(built in hands free kit) AND navigation.
Designed for ANY car radio.
You get your voice commands highly amplified (10 W) out of your car speakers.
Ultra fast switching mute generator.

Gerco
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor volume with Quest/Autocom Reply with quote

WilsonJO wrote:
I have a Quest I and RAM mount. I have the red/black adaptor supplied by Autocom to connect a GPS to the unit and still be able to use the mobile 'phone, however the GPS volume is quite literally too low to hear when the bike is anything other than stationary - despite having it at maximum on the Quest.

Both the Autocom and the Quest are bike powered.

Am I alone or has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I'm sure I read something about this here some months ago, but I can't find it now - perhaps I was imagining things again!

Thank would probably have been my post several (6+) months back.

I fitted a Quest and Autocom, both bike powered, to my Vmax trike this time last year and did a 750 mile round trip - the Quest volume was fine enough apart from some interference/hum.

After that trip I got the Autocom red/black box and fitted it to remove the interference - however then the Quest's volume dropped quite a bit and I struggled to hear it.

The trike's been off the road for a complete overhaul but its gonna be ready again this weekend. Here's what I'm currently fitting:

Instead of the Red/black box I got hold of one each of these: Ground loop isolator and a Inline Power Noise Filter. I'll let you know how I get one with these.

In case the Quest output is still too low I'll probably get one of these to boost it: Boosteroo Revolution
mistersaxon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor volume with Quest / Autocom Reply with quote

Or, of course, simply put the Quest through the MP3 player socket. You don't want Ipod + GPS + Phone anyway as it will eat the batteries really fast.

I use this set-up on my Blackbird and it's fine. I used to listen to the Ipod but I prefer "silence" (or what passes for it on a bike).

Rich.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: