Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ProClip/Brodit installed in my Vectra
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ProClip/Brodit installed in my Vectra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: ProClip/Brodit installed in my Vectra Reply with quote

This is a thread that I posted on my Vectra owners website, but thought it may be of some use to some of you here, or can be used for "Readers Mounts" (Is that similar to Readers Wives????? Mr. Green )
Much of what I have said next to the photo's most of you will know already, but was written for the benefit of my members most of whom don't even know what a PDA/ SatNav is Rolling Eyes (Like me 3 weeks ago :D :D )

=======================================================

Well it's finally complete Laughing In-car PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) with Full Voice Guidance Sat-Nav with Gatso Speed Camera Database.

All for £460 !!!!!!

Ingrediants:
Ipaq 5450 (from ebay)
Tomtom Navigator 2 (from ebay)
Pro Clip, Specific for a Vectra(96-02) Centre Vent Mount
Brodit Mount with Sync Plug both from www.Handnav.co.uk

Here is the mount and clip. The pro Clip made specifically for the Vectra (other cars available)simply pushes and locks into place in the small gaps top and bottom of vents (Note the vents are not totally obstructed.)
The Brodit Mount sits on the proclip and is on a swivel base so can be turned towards passenger, or even turned a full 90o to allow for Widescreen mpeg movies on summat like Movie Player for Pocket PC.

There is just one short cable run. From the plug in the mount thru under the dash to the side of pax airbag to behind the Glovebox where it's connected into the glovebox light feed. It is plugged via a cigar lighter and new cigar lighter socket and tucked in behind Gbox as there is plenty of space behind there. Very tidy, I can't stand loads of wires and cable every where.

The Ipaq just slides into the mount and connects at the bottom, very simple slide in and out, no plugging in:) Turn on and get the "Desktop" play cards or games while the wife shops SmileSmileSmile

A close up of one of the Tomtom pages, this is in aerial view zoomed right out. This shows part of the M2 with 3 loctions of Gatso's. As you drive the Tomtom will be in a different view and can be set to give verbal and audio warnings of the approaching Gatso's from 30 seconds onwards. In fact to can upload your own wav files to it, for example you could get it sqwauk " Christ Sakes Slow Down.......Camera!!!!!" Laughing The camera database is constantly being updated and you can get the downloads free and upload them from your PC to the PDA...simple.

Just messing with my Stereo and Multi info Display!! got is to show my Club site Wink

The GPS reciever, which is a Rikaline 6010 with new updated chipset, sits on a small velcro sticky tab to stop it sliding around and cable runs hidden into glovebox. This is where it links up with the associated power plug

The power is on all the time, for the GPS, that the car is unlocked. This is because it is on the glove box light circuit that remains live as soon as the car is unlocked. When ignition is off, this won't be a problem as the power drain is absolutely minimal.

Hope this helps some of you that were unsure what it would look like in a Vec, or what the state of play would be re wires running everywhere. As you see the install is very tidy, well I think so anyway.
I have an option to plug a 3,5mm jack in the bottom and feed the audio in to my stereo install so being able to hear the voice commands very clearly. I will at some point wire in an external amped speaker that will be hidden. This is so I can have navigation and Gatso warnings as well as listening to a CD or radio, a thing you can't do if you listening to it via aux in.

G'wan, you know you want one Laughing Laughing
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matty,

That’s a very tidy installation in your Vectra. The active Brodit Mount looks much better than the standard windscreen suction kit, which is included with TomTom. It’s about time I did the same thing for my Discovery.

£460 is a very good price for the whole kit. Would you mind breaking it down into individual costs as a guide, so I can try the Ebay route, if I ever needed to get a second system.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Matty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye no problem.

The HP Ipaq 5450 (400mhz) with a 256mb SD card, a basic car kit (now redundant) and Tomtom 2 with the Rikaline reciever was a total bargain. I spotted it on ebay after it was there for just a few hours for £450 on "Buy it Now". did a deal where I collected from him within a day (as he was localish) and got it for £400!!! Need to be quick for bargains Smile Smile

The Pro Clip is about £15

The Brodit with the Sync plug was about £45, both from Chetan @ handnav.co.uk

All in all, a very good set up for the money. Very pleased with it Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: