Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - news item: use of common sense?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

news item: use of common sense?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: news item: use of common sense? Reply with quote

hi all Smile

this news item i found on aol news.

hope it helps.

Quote:
Sat-nav systems have once again led drivers into a tricky situation - this time a 4ft-deep ford across a river.

Hapless drivers with blind faith in the gadget's ability to get them from A to B have been directed straight into the river Avon in the Wiltshire village of Luckington.

The Splash, as it is known locally, is close to the source of the Avon and normally flows at 2ft. However, it is often swollen by rain and becomes dangerous even for the most robust of vehicles.

Lesley Bennett, 59, a parish councillor who lives next to the ford, said: "There are signs warning that it is unsuitable for vehicles, but the fools just plough on regardless.

"When the car conks out the driver looks stunned. When you ask him what happened he says, 'My sat-nav told me it was this way.'''

Some locals have turned the farce into profit by charging motorists £25 to haul cars out with tractors.

Julie Jackson and her 70-year-old mother Delcie Fielder had to abandon their Rover 220 when it broke down in the ford.

Mrs Jackson, 45, of Carterton, Oxfordshire, said: "We went in, the car stopped and then we heard this gurgling sound and water came right into the car, covering our feet.''

In another instance recently, motorists were led to the edge of a 100ft drop on an unclassified road at Crackpot in North Yorkshire.

The hiccups haven't slowed sales of the systems, which soared by £255 million in just two years, market analysts Mintel said.

Drivers in Britain spent £305 million on the gadgets last year - up 510 per cent on 2003. The systems guide drivers to their destinations using satellite tracking technology.

it just tells u, that u needs to use ur common sense with anything!

gadgets are helpful but ultimate decision should rest with the user!!!
Exclamation
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O Laughing

If you asked a stranger in the street for directions would you blindly follow them without thinking?
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud i am not surprised, i used to work for a Satnav company and some of the phone calls you used to get with people going 20-50 miles off route. They are not perfect and never will be 100%, I would always check to see the route that I should be going so if the satnav tells me to go another way then you would have to question it. I had people going to the wrong airport and missed their flight Crying or Very sad , people ending up in the wrong towns etc.
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: yes how correct! Reply with quote

as i said one needs to use common sense.

when i was using destinator on acern35; once it asked me to go wrong side on an oneway ring road (in stourbridge) ( when coming out from morrison ) :x

Exclamation also i read some time later on this forum itself somebody advicing
1. to take a regular map also with u ( just back up planB!)
2. to check the route before hand
3. to take a compass when hiking on remote mountainous etc areas! plus again a map ( somebody's gps fell down or something and broke....so on)
4. back up battery if u r hiking
5. to avoid airbag positions when palcing ur pda/gps

all well said and sensible! 8)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good laugh at this - it was shown a few times on GMTV earlier today, the female presenter (Fiona) has a real downer on the devices, but as has been said many times before, its down to the driver of the vehicle to make the descision to procede following the instructions or disregard them.

To give you all a laugh the first time I used my device was a "memorable" occasion, put the post code in and off we went to an airbase 200 miles away - I ended up in a farm yard, and was informed by the device "You have arrived at your destination", it was 50 miles out!!

The real reason was putting an incorrect postcode in to it when I set off Embarassed But you learn by your mistakes, if you want to go through a river buy a boat! - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big worry about these people getting stuck is that there are 2 Warning Signs, some way back down the road, stating that there is a ford that may be impassable. The Sat Nav can't read signs, yet.Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The big worry about these people getting stuck is that there are 2 Warning Signs, some way back down the road, stating that there is a ford that may be impassable. The Sat Nav can't read signs, yet.

Did we have the same discussion a few weeks ago regarding Low Bridges??
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: but surely aren't they responsible? Reply with quote

Smile :
hi all:
yes i agree with what u say..

use ur comon sense!

but after all these software makers are responsible as well...??? Sad

these softwares are expensive and the gps gadgets are not cheap either

so cannot they issue updates to fix these glitches?

and i think pocket gps also can play big role
what u call advocacy!
mrgrumpy23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot? I've spent hundreds of pounds on a sat-nav and I still have to look out of the windows! Waste of money :D

mrgrumpy23 Driving
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
these softwares are expensive and the gps gadgets are not cheap either

Part of the problem is the scale of the map. Think about mapping EVERY street, roads and track in the UK accurately. There will be mistakes.

Might be the same if i gave you directions from A to B. If you used my directions would you just carry on regardless or think about what's ahead?

Quote:
and i think pocket gps also can play big role
what u call advocacy!

Also GPS is driving AID not a replacement for a brain and common-sense. Are you really going to leave ALL your thinking and decision making to a small black box?
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi:
i think we are missing point here..

as i started this thread, i said one needs to use comon sense! Smile

but does it make companies who make them less liable?

u mean to say they got win win situation with out any obligation? Rolling Eyes

c'mon these companies have ability to do simple corrections by way of patch ups etc? ( eg: microsoft, norton etc do that!) 8)

ok, suppose a driver meets with an accident in that place in avon, won't company be responsible?

well, i 'll leave it to a judge to decide!! Question
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gune wrote:
ok, suppose a driver meets with an accident in that place in avon, won't company be responsible?

It would be argued that it is an aid, and as such the final decision is up to the person behind the wheel, (or the mother-in-law in back seat).Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
well it is an opinion Exclamation
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will always do stupid things when driving, SatNav just gives them someone/something to blame, and that makes them feel better because it isn't really their fault that their car was flooded.

Last year I visited Lindisfarne. It's joined to the mainland by a causeway which is flooded at high tide. On both sides there are waiting areas, and signs with tide tables showing when it is or is not safe to cross, but the biggest warning of all is the sight of the road disappearing under water for quite a long distance.

While I was patiently waiting for the tide to go out so that I could cross to the island, someone on the other side wasn't quite so patient and tried to drive back to the mainland through water several feet deep. And this wasn't in a Range Rover or other big 4x4 - it was in something small like a Fiesta. After about a hundred yards, surprise, surprise, they were stuck. Fortunately the tide was already going out so they weren't in any real danger of being completely submerged, but an Air Sea Rescue helicopter and a couple of Coast Guard vehicles came out. All very exciting !

Probably the poor guy was just following his SatNav and simply didn't notice that the road wasn't actually there. Not his fault, of course.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These people who are ending up on the edge of a 300 foot cliff, or getting stranded in a 'Ford', should blame the qualified driver sitting next to them. :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: