Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What is the best aviation software for the 3970 iPaq
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best aviation software for the 3970 iPaq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kskid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: What is the best aviation software for the 3970 iPaq Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recomendation on what software I should buy for navigation whilst flying. I currently have a Garmin Pilot III GPS. Having purchased the iPAQ I would like to run the equivelent type of software. I have looked at the Memory Map software with the CAA charts but this seems to be a little basic. The other product I have looked at is http://www.flightcompanion.com/ this seems to look a little more like the Garmin but does not have the CAA map overlay on. The GPS that I am using on the iPAQ is the Pretec CF card with the PCMCIA expansion jacket. Any help or advice would be helpful in making the choice.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kskid,

Have you looked at the aviation section where we have tried and rated various software???????.

The CAA maps of Memory Map certainly offer the most comprehensive mapping detail and are the same as the paper maps used for flying in UK.
European maps compatible with this system are available for download from @Aeroplanner.com'.

If you need more aeronautical functionality then look at 'Winpilot' or 'Navgps'. A review of 'Navgps' and 'Teletype' aviation will be released very soon.

You could combine the fine mapping of MM with a flight planning tool such as 'Pocket Flight Plan' (Handango)

Do you intend to fly mostly in UK??
Could you provide a 'wish list' of preferred features so that we can comment more precisely?

Welcome to the Pocketgps aviators group!!!!!!!!!! Happy
kskid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my flying is done in the UK and I have looked at the section reviews for the Memory map software. Looking at the review it seems as if the software only has the moving map facility and the ability to plot waypoints. The only thing that I can not find out is if it gives such things as ground speed, heading information, time to next point, time to destination etc.. The nice to have facility would be somthing like the standard Garmin GPS with the CAA map overlay. I will watch with interest the reviews for navgps and teletype. Having the airfield information close to hand is also a useful facility that is offered by Flight Companion, the only drawback is that the software does not have the CAA map overlays.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kskid,

I have contacted Flight Companion to try to get a review copy!!!!

MM does have data such as ETE, Ground speed etc. If you would like to EMail me at Peter@pocketgpsworld.com with your EMail address I will send you some screen shots. It also includes runway diags.and coms. details for all UK airfields, with an option of photo detail.

No, I don't have shares. But our main conclusions relate to the quality, clarity and useability of the moving map feature with data features somewhat secondary. The Garmin has the brighter screen but with Ipaq2210 the MM is v.g.

What plane do you fly?? i.e. important with a CF antenna!
kskid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fly both PA28's and C152's. The current Garmin Pilot III runs quite happily on the yoke mount that I use, without the external antenna, but I have not yet tried the CF card in the iPAQ yet. I am also in the process of obtaining the Navman Sleeve which will be a neater installation. I have mailed you for the screen shots and once you have done the Flight Companion review (hopefully) I will look to make my decision and give you the low down. I fly generally every fortnight and can give you any feedback of my findings if you want me to.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kskid,

Screen shots already E Mailed.

We have questioned the TTFF of the early Navman jackets and overall signal reception. A recent CF card should be better and may have a plug for a secondary antenna if needed.

Happy flying
yeatd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fly in the UK (from Shoreham) and have recently purchased NavGPS pro version 4.0. I love it! you cant get better. Download the trial version from there web and try it!! www.flynavgps.com
flyingalan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Navgps Reply with quote

As UK dealer for Navgps, you might like to visit our web site:

http://www.flightsys.co.uk

regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: