Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Emap questions (newbie!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Emap questions (newbie!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Emap questions (newbie!) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just bought a Garmin Emap from a friend, and have several questions about it's use, as this is my first GPS. I'd be really grateful if someone could answer them for me, or clarify things I'm not sure about.

1. Is there a way to stop "Stopped Time" in Trip Computer counting once you arrive at your destination? I found that the only time it stops is when the GPS loses connection with the satellites. I didn't find a way to manually stop it.

2. When I go into the GPS Info page, providing it's communicating with several satellites, 3 or 4 or more, the "Accuracy" field usually displays something like 20-30ft (occasionally more, even over 100ft). Is this normal? My friend who sold the Emap to me said it was usually much more accurate, and would, confirm he's at his destination, for example his home (waypoint he marked) within a couple of feet. I tried doing the same, marking a waypoint for my home, but when later coming back, Emap would be "telling me", that the point I marked, say last night, has "moved" some 20-ish feet in a random direction from where I marked it. I hope I'm making sense.

3. My Emap's current firmware version is 2.63. I had a look on Garmin's site, and the latest version available for download is 2.90. I would like to download this and upgrade, however, I'm worried my Emap will no longer be able to communicate with the Mapsource software I have, which is version 3.6, because Garmin's site says: "MapSource Users: You will need to ensure that you have updated to the latest version of MapSource software to maintain compatibility with eMap software version 2.75 or greater." This means if I don't purchase the latest Mapsource software, I will lose compatibility of my Emap (if I updated it's firmware) with my existing version of Mapsource software. I'm further confused by the fact that the latest version of Mapsource contains all the European countries on one cd, whereas older versions, and the version I have, had separate cds for individual countries. Garmin's software update page offers the latest Mapsource upgrade download, but I don't think that downloading that will suddenly upgrade my 3.6 version of Mapsource into the latest version, giving me all the European countries as well, for free! That just sounds too good to be true.

Please help, I'm really confused!

Thanks,

Vlad.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to your points regarding your eMap:-
1-I was unable to stop the 'stopped time' as you were.
2-My unit was usually accurate to within 20 feet. I could tell that my car was on the road or in the drive! I don't believe you can expect better than that.
3-This summer, Garmin did an exchange - any version [4] CD exchanged for the whole of Europe version [5] for £50. That means 2 CDs to load onto the PC. The download on their website now is to upgrade version-[5] to [5.3].

Without obtaining a MetroGuide version [5] I do not think you should update to 2.90
vladman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much strumble.

I have a couple of other questions, mostly minor things, but I'm a kind of person who likes to understand everything about how their gadgets work. ;)

1. If I serch for an address, it seems not to have all the numbers of any given street stored in memory (UK Mapsource). So for example, it doesn't have 27 My Street (at which I live), but it does have, 26, 28, 30, 31 and so on... I find this odd?

2. If I hold Enter, my Longitudinal value is set to W000... Shouldn't this be reading something else, other than 000? Sorry, I'm totally out of my depth here, but I have a feeling this should be reading something else.

3. In the Time tab, under setup, my Daylight Savings option is disabled, actually, it's blank, and I can't choose anything under it.

4. After reading some other post here, I saw someone suggesting that holding down Enter as you press the Power button displays some "factory" screen, with versions of software and firmware and other "hidden" information on it. I did that, and amongst all that information, there was also a Temperature display. I find this very intriguing, that the device is able to measure temperature, but you don't get this displayed in any of the menus during normal operations, on the screen, or indeed, mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Thanks,

Vlad.
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try and answer your questions:-
1-
A- When I ‘search’ European MetroGuide Version 5 on the PC; I find each of the 23 houses in my street.
B- I can, by placing my cursor over the street on the PC [zoomed to 120 feet] pick out each house number in the street individually.
C- I can, by placing my cursor over the street on the eMap [zoomed to 120 feet] pick out each house number in the street individually.

2-
Clacket Lane Services Eastbound on the M25 gives a reading on my eMap of:-
N 51˚ 16.335’
E 000˚ 02.070’
However in my Menu – Setup-[Advanced] the location format is
hddd˚ mm.mmm’
and
Map Datum WSG 84

3-
Your reading here matches mine!
However, in the Time Zone change it to ‘Other’ and the UTC offset to +01:00

4-
Perhaps, this reading is the temperature of the eMap rather than room temperature??

Question: - Where did you find the method of seeing the ‘factory’ settings?

Strumble

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: