Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator OP Help please :)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator OP Help please :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Destinator OP Help please :) Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just recently purchased the goodmans destinator OP, with windows version : WinCE 4.20(0)
I have noticed that the speed detector is terribly inacorate, i am always over the limit in a built up area, unless of corse i am doing 30mph!, I have searched sites on the net, and joined the Destinator website, but am unable to understand what i need to sort it.
Also my Destinator seems to take about 15minutes before i can get signal, this is from my home, yet on returning form my journey it directs me right to my car park space fine, why is this?
Another thing i have noticed is the screen seems to have a slight wobble, due to vibtration, is this normal?
I am not driving a banger, Laughing Out Loud, I have a 2002 Laguna!

Also, Even though i have read the manual, i am unsure of how to update/download on it, to be honest i aint a clue ;)

I would appreciate any help on me fixing this,

Thanks
seb
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet with the over the speed limit is turn it off. There is a section for voice alerts in your main menu that allows you to check which functions you want - just uncheck it. The speed limit is not very good and I don't think there is a fix for this. Personally I find it rather annoying.

Just a not about your signal, does it continueously drop signal or is it just from when you turn it on. If the latter, how are you turning the unit off? If it's a GNAV and you are turning off at the battery switch at the bottom then this is the reason for your probs. You should always leave the batery switch on unless doing a hard reset -it takes some time to pick up sats after this has been switched off. If you are not doing that then (providing the unit is not obstructed from seeing the sky, you should pick up sats quite quickley (no more than a minute - definatley not 15mins).

If your problem is the former and signal keeps dropping for no apparent reson, do you: have heated windscreen; wiper sensors or anything else electrical that could be interupting the signal.

Rule all these things out before purchasing an antenna. I have a GNAV and do not have any probs with a signal.

If you are talking about downloading as in speed cameras and other favorite POI's then look here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35203

The highest version known for OP at the momet is 5.1.145. You can find this out by scrolling along your main menu for the About button. If it is lower then I will be able to helpyou upgrade. At presant, Destinator do not have any upgrades for OP and Goodmans never answer emails.

Hope this of some help to you.
Smile
Pete
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply.

I turn my unit of via the top right button, on/off switch, as the manual says to leave the battery switched on at all times.
I do not have wiper sensors in my car, as its only a basic model, but what it does have is a elctronic start button ( credit card start) maybe this is causing me some problems. As for the signal, I turn the unit on as soon as i get in to the car, before i make a few ciggarets, and wait for it to load, but nothing happens, after a good 5 minutes, i get fed up and leave for my journey and it takes approx 5/10 minutes after this to start finding signal. After reading some posts on the 'Destinator' forum,and before i read your responce, Sad i followed a link to ebay.co.uk, and purchased a ariel for £14.99, just hoping this will sort my problem, as we are going away to wales in a few months, and this was the reason for me buying the Destinator.

You are very correct when you say goodmans do ont answer questions, you think after people payed all this money for one of there products, that they would have the hwlp and information ready for us to see, very disapointed in them.

Thanks for the link, i have sort of followed one of (I think) your posts on an earlier post, talking through how to do this speed cam update thing, i have managed to change the names of the first files, and install onto the Destinator, but it says 'next find the appro. sound file' in the csv files, i think i am very confused, even after printing the set up directions and following them, Laughing Out Loud I just dont want to break it, £300 is a lot of money!

Thanks for your help so far, its very appreciated:)
thanks seb
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya
its me again,Laughing Out Loud

I have just followed your link (thanks) and thats what i am following, i have got to the sound part, and am unsure where to find these files?

I have gone into csv and then Destinator, installed the first files, (with the names i have to change), then am stuck.

Cheers

seb
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your card slot shouldn't effect ariel. I have one of these on my megane and have no probs. I also have auto wipers but just have to make sure that it is not directly under the sensor. You say you wait for it to load? Before you turn off unit do you exit from destinator. I leave destinator map on so when I turn the unit on I am straight into the map. I think signal time takes longer also when you exit destinator and go back into it (although not as long as you say). Try this anyway and see if it helps.

As for sound files do you have any warning files (wav format). These do not come with the Speed cam database. If you are struggling for some pm me your email and I will send you some. The only thing you will find with the speedcam databse is alternate bitmap images for your icons. You see a folder with Alternate... in there somewhere. Once you have the wav files. choose which one you want for each catergory then give each the same name as the catergories and drag them into the directory mentioned in the thread. You do not need favorites import on destinator console to do this just browse your device through activesync for the correct folder.

Hope this is making some sense. Let me know if your still struggling.

Pete
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Pete

Yeh, when i get into the car, i plug it in, switch it on and wait for it to load, especially for a long journey, saves stoping 10 minutes up the road to program map onto unit.
As for turning it off, all i do is switch it off from the front, i dont use the red cross and exit, i spose this is fine if you do this also!

Regarding files i have no sound files, just presumed they are already in the unit, i will pm you my address, thats very kind of you, thanks.

Im usualy quite good with computers, but this definatly has got me confused, im sure its simple once you have done it, hehe

Thanks for your help

Seb
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stumped on the signal thing -it shouldn't be doing that if you have the anntenna with a clear view of the sky. Just for curiosity, what version are you running??

The unit only has the standard "favorites alert" for warnings (this is the 141 file in your all folder). All others you will need to drag into that folder after you have renamed them to correspond with your catergories.
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

version is 5.1.145 i think?

Ok thanks, will try that, i thought there were dif ones, but lets stay simple for now, Laughing

Also i forgot to ask, i noticed that all other unit have the ''looks and feel' box to enter and change things, well, mine hasnt got this,? are there different modles? as my sisters boyfriend purchased one from the same place, and strangly has the 'looks and feel'' option?

thanks
seb
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother messing with the 141 file, use the ones I sent you and follow the instructions in the other thread again.

Look and feel I don't have either - note in box said unit was not comapible with this option. Does your sister have a gnav. if so see what version of OP she is running and let me know
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i will let you know, they got it from ace (studi catalgue) same as me for £249.99 on offer, i thought it was weird.

I'll wait for your email and try again from where i got to, and let you know how i get on,
thanks again for your help.

If i can help i'll do me best for peeps in forum, gota give aswell as get hay!

thanks

seb
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

I have recieved the email, thanks alot, i have put the sound files into the specified folder, all ok, but where do i get the pictures from? I followed a link from a post in here, but it was for a tomtom i think, and wen i right click and copy pictures it copies the whole folder, not just the pic?

any ideas

thanks seb
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry, i have found the file in the csv folder.

Now just to test and see if i have one it right

thanks pete

seb
Sneaky39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Tested the sat nav today, and i think ive done something worng.
On approach to a speed camera i get no voice alert, but there is a blue spot there instead? I did add pictures as discribed in the link.

All three files were correctly done, in favourites i have the list of camera, all with blue spots near, selected (by the green spot).If i click on the blue spot, whilst onthe direction screen, my gnav freezes?

please help

thanks seb
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky, not really got much time at the moment so pm me your email and I will send you replacement files that have everything set up for cams and voice alerts.
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Seb. Iwas waiting for your email. I didn't realise I already had it. I am sending you some files with instructions mate.

Have you found out about the look and feel on the other GNAV. I can only assume that this is an updated version to 5.1.145. If it is, do you think you could send me some files from it. Let me know what you find out first.

Cheers

Pete
Destinator OP v 5.1.174

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: