Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Origin b2 Speed Trap Warning System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Origin b2 Speed Trap Warning System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im currently looking at both the Road angel and the B2, ive seen both for around the £320-£350 mark, but am undecided as which is the best option. Im swayed towards the road angel asn i dont drive that many miles but like the fact you can pay a one off £99 lifetime subscription. Ive also been told that the Origin can be unreliable, is this the case?

Many thanks Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after reviewing the Road Angel, I did lay down my money and buy one a little later. The main thing that sold it to me was no nead for an external patch antenna (which meant extra wires), it came with everything you needed and works extremely well. I like the Road Angel because it notifies you of Accident Blackspots, which can be an advantage. The unit's not as small as the b2, but more to my liking.

Darren should be able to tell you more about the Origin b2.
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, im definitely more inclined to go with the RA, due to it being more portable and indirectly more straightforward and do find the £99 lifetime sub a plus

So i take it your very impressed with your RA then? most website reviews are heavliy weighted towards manufacturer, and ive not really found a totally independent review, especially a comparison between the RA and Origin B2

Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed with the Road Angel. I should make it clear though that I haven't reviewed or used an Origin b2, but have seen one up close, so any questions you have regarding the b2 are best directed at Darren who reviewed it.

My main reason for opting for the Road Angel was that I needed to use it in multiple cars with ease, the Road Angel can sit on the dashboard with it's anti-slip matt quite easily, and all you do is take that and the charger cable with you to another car. It also has a GPS out port which can be used with an optional cable to feed a GPS signal into another device, like a Pocket PC.

Although we haven't provided any comparisons between hardware based Speed Camera Detection Systems, we do try to make our reviews as open as possible not weighted in any way. We are totally independent and do bear that in mind with every review we write. :D
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thumbs Up
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razer wrote:
Thanks Thumbs Up

EDIT: which PDA's are compatible with the RA GPS output, as i dont have a PDA at the moment due to having a SE P800 mobile, but being able to have some sort of satellite navigation software could be useful, thanks Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Road Angel actually has a Holux GPS Receiver inside it. Currently Holux are offering a PDA cable at £24.99 inc VAT for the following PDA's:-
    Compaq iPAQ 31/37/37 Series
    Compaq iPAQ 38/39/54 Series
    Mitac Mio 528
    NEC MP 200/300
    Packard Bell PG 2030/2060
    Medion
    Casio E115/E125
    HP Jornada 540/560
    Palm M5xx Series
    Palm Tungsten
    Palm Vx
    Sony Clie N/S
    Sony Clie T/NR/SL/SJ/NX/NZ
    Toshiba e740
    O2 XDA
    T-Mobile MDA
    Fuji Siemens Pocket Loox
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that list dave, most appreciated, something else to investigate now 8O , havent even got the RA sorted yet! Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll confuse things even further by adding that having used both the Road Angel and the B2 it's the B2 that would get my money. It's one downside its lack of transportability, to achieve this you would need an additional install kit. Aside from that it's a superb unit, every possible feature, good display with plenty of information on alert type, camera, speed, road designation distance to camera etc, it has blackspot warnings and school zones will be added shortly.

In short, unless you desire the ability to use the unit in multiple vehicles then you really ought to see a b2 close up before you buy the Road Angel Thumbs Up
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn i was just about to see if i could get your opinion and ask if you had used both, now im totally confused Confused

I have been told that the B2 can be a bit tempromental and not as robuslty constructed, have you had any problems?
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh you cant edit posts, is that right?

how easy is the B2 to install, as you say and from the pictures ive seen its more of a permanent install
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty robust, it's weak point will be the display but that applies to any device with a large LCD display.

As for install, it comes with a sticky pad mount for the cradle so it's semi-permanent at best. If you wished to use in more than one vehicle you would be best off buying a 2nd car cradle kit, as the diplay unit is removeable it could then be installed in either car.

Because of it's design the b2 can be covertly installed to keep prying eyes and hands away even when in use, this can't be achived with the other competitors, given the price of these systems it's an important consideration!
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-read your review, and you show a picture in car with the LCD unit mounted on a bracket near the air vent, did this bracket come with the unit? (im presuming not) and if not where can you purchase this, and what sort of price.

Thanks Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we review so many devices I use a Brodit ProClip in car to allow quick installation of review equipment. The b2 in the review is mounted using Origin's supplied mounting cradle onto the Brodit mount. Not visible in the photo is another identical Brodit mount on the right which holds my iPAQ.

Brodit produce mounts for many vehicles, see http://www.brodit.se for further information. Handnav (http://www.handnav.co.uk) stock these as well as SafetyClip mounts which are a similar solution.
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is becoming more and more tricky, the place that sells these close to me i still recommending the RA over the B2, can i just say aaaghhhhhh Mr. Green

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: