Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator ND and Speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator ND and Speed cameras
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Destinator ND and Speed cameras Reply with quote

Hi all

What is the correct way to install the Pocketgps Speed camera Files on Destinator ND

Do have to convert the files to Auto alert 1 and Auto Alert 2 or can I just import them with Destinator Console and leave them as POI's in the fav folder.

Thanks for any help
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all depends on whether or not your version runs as it should do. It will tell you in your instruction manual what catergories can have alerts.

I have destinator Op and can get alerts on any catergory that is created but all my alerts and settings are the same for all catergories. I should only be able to get alerts in catergories named:

auto alerts 1
auto alert 2
Favorites Alert

So it does depend on how your version is programed. If you have predefined catergories named Auto alert 1/2 then use destinator console to import to these catergories. If not predefined then create them when you import. You may find though that you can get alert setting for other named catergories in favorites.

I am assuming you have ND version on a pna and not a pocket pc.
I have been looking at this software to see if it works any better than the OP version (as OP is only for PNA's also). The only problem is that it only comes bundled with the device you buy it with, I don't think you can buy it as a seperate software.

Can you let me know how you get on with your alert settings. I would like to know if you can get seperate setting for different catergories and what your alert voice says for each catergory. Also if you get alerts for other catergories outside the auto alerts 1 and 2.

If it is anything like OP version you may only be able to get one setting for all catergories with only one and the same voice command.

I would appreciate your help so I can try and reprogram my version to work correctly.

Let me know if you need any more help getting the cams on and setting up your alerts.

Pete
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply

I am running Destinator ND Running on a Packard bell GPS400 PND

The instructions for this was really of no help at all, it talked about Auto Alert 1 & 2 also Favourite Alerts none of which actually made any sense when I had the unit sat in front of me.

This was probably why it said in the original article that I read that you had to use excel to rename the pocketgps file auto alert 1 & 2

What I have now done and it does work is to just use Destinator Console to convert and install the packetgps files to the favourite folder on the unit. I setup warnings for them at 800 and 400 yards.

Obviously one of the biggest limitations with this software is fact that what ever warning distance is set for one is automatically used for them all and also the same sound file is used for them all, I did not like the standard Favourite Alert and it was no good using the Speed Camera Ahead one as it is also used with downloaded POI’s so I used one of the standard windows chime sounds and copied that over.

I am sure that this is not the correct way although it does work perhaps you can make sense of the instructions copied below

Chapter 10 - Auto & Favorites Alerts

10.1 Introduction
An Automatic Alert refers to an item that you configure so that Destinator will alert you when you are
within a certain distance of the item’s location. You can configure two distances for each Automatic Alert.
Destinator will first alert you when you are within the first distance and then alert you when you are within
the second. Automatic Alerts must be stored in either one of three predefined categories - Auto Alerts 1,
Auto Alerts 2, and Favorites Alerts.

10.2 Configuring Auto Alerts Category
Note that this configuration is applied to all items in the category.
1. From the Destination dialog, select Favorites.
2. Highlight the Auto Alerts folder you want to configure and select Edit… from the Tools menu in
the lower-right corner.
3. To enable both alerts, check both boxes. Or, you can disable one of the alerts by clearing the
box next to it. If you configure two alerts, the first must have a greater distance than the
second.
4. From the pull-down menus, select a distance for each enabled alert. Destinator will alert you
when the distance between your current travelling position and the location of the alert equals
the distance you enter here.
5. Close the Edit menu.
6. To display the map position of items in the Auto Alerts category, check the box to the left of the
category name, just as you would to display map positions of items in any other category.
7. Select Save to complete the configuration.

10.3 Configuring Auto Alerts Items
You can change the name, comment, and category of any item in Auto Alerts 1 or Auto Alerts 2. Note
that if you change the category of an item to something other than Auto Alerts 1 or Auto Alerts 2, it will no
longer function as an auto alert. Only those items in categories Auto Alert 1 and Auto Alert 2 will function
as automatic alerts.
1. From the Destination dialog, select Favorites to display all the categories.
2. Highlight a category and then select Items from the upper menu bar. All items in the category
are displayed.
3. Highlight the alert you want to edit and select Edit from the tools menu in the lower right corner.
4. You can change the name, comment, and category of an item. You cannot change any other
information. Note that if you change the category, the item will be moved out of the current
category. Only those items found in either Auto Alerts 1 or Auto Alerts 2 will function as auto
alerts.
5. Close the edit window.

10.4 Favorites Alerts
From the Favorites folder, you can add a new Category called Favorites Alerts. These alerts
function the same way as Auto Alerts, but can be used specifically for items from your list of
Favorites, such as your favorite restaurants and places of interest.
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as me. I also found those instructions rather confusing as the software doesn't actually do any of the things it is supposed to. Wouldn't it be great if we could actually set seperate warnings for each catergory.

I was rather hoping that because ND version (i think) is newer version to OP that you would not be suffering the same problems and that it would help me find a fix. The good news for you is that at least your version is mentioned on the Destinator website and you have somewhere to look for patches and updates. OP doesn't get a mention on there site.

Looks like they have brought out a patch for Destinator PN that fixes these probs but when will we get ours, that is what I want to know.

I would hope for as many catergories as I want, all with different settings and voice alerts. I live in hope that the guys at Destinator get off there backsides and fix their software. Either that or sack the programmer. They have all these different versions and doesn't seem that one of them works properly.
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul:

Try the different alert sounds as discribed here:
http://www.aviationgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34332

Seems that they copied the instructions from their D3 manual. With ND, PN or OP (Ver 5.1.xxx) there is no need for auto alert 1 and2.
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, what version of ND are you running. You can find out by clicking on "About" in the menu.
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its version 5.1.126
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paul. Looking at another post from TheRock, he seems to think all ND versions from version 5.1.92 now support the seperate settings for each catergories. Maybe I'm getting wires crossed or he meant .192

Yours does not seem to support seperate distance settings but have you tried to get seperate voice alerts for each catergory by adding extra voices to your Voice interface or manipulating your DestinatorVoiceManeuver.inf

Cheers

Pete
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info

I will give it a try.

Re the different versions of Destinator ND its a pity Destinator do not offer any support on this version as it is dedicated to each PNA so upgrades are only offered via the device manufactura and in the case of Packard Bell their is zero up-grade support.

Anyone know where I can download some extra spoken voice files

Gatso Ahead

Mobile Ahead etc

Thanks
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me your email address and I will send you some other voice files.

I had an email from Destinator and they didn't mention having to go to the manufacturer of the unit for an upgrade, they said they were working on a fix and that upgrades would be available in the future. Destinator Op is also a PNA bundle software so I am hoping there will be some upgrades. How can your manufacturer supply the upgrade for software which is not developed by them?

Pete
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

PM sent

Re the upgrade question

I got this from destinators web site

Can I use your normal upgrade program when I want to update my software?
No, in general you will need a specific Destinator ND software upgrade based on your device requirements. Please contact the hardware vendor or our hotline to find out how you can upgrade.

Which was why I said what I did about destinator up-grades
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can only assume that mine is the same, so Destinator must have lied to me to stop me emailing.
Destinator OP v 5.1.174
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Installing Speed Camera Files on Destinator ND Reply with quote

Well I have finaly found out how to install the speed camera files on Destinator ND.

If anyone want to give it a go the instructions are printed below.

Have fun

A Guide to Installing Speed Cameras on Destinator ND

The following worked for me.

1. Download the Speed camera data base
2. Unzip All files
3. Copy all files from the csv files/destinator3 folder to a folder on your H/D

4. Listed below are the 5 Files you need

• pocketgps_uk_gatso.*
• pocketgps_uk_redlight.*
• pocketgps_uk_specs.*
• pocketgps_uk_mobile.*
• pocketgps_uk_temp.*

5. You will also need 2 BMP Files download them from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/moudym/DESTINATOR%20SPEED%20CAMERA%20PACKS/D3%20UK%20SPEED%20CAMERA/

6. Next you will need sound files 5 different ones or 5 copies of the same file, you can use the 141.wav file from the above site

7. Next you need to re-name the speed camera files, an example is listed below

• Gatso_Camera_Ahead.csv
• Redlight_Camera_Ahead.csv
• Specs_Camera_Ahead.csv
• Mobile_Camera_Ahead.csv
• Temp_Camera_Ahead.csv

8. Next one of the BMP Files is of a Redlight Camera re-name that to

• Redlight_Camera_Ahead.bmp

9. Next make four copies of the oter BMP File and re name them

to

• Gatso_Camera_Ahead.BMP
• Specs_Camera_Ahead.BMP
• Mobile_Camera_Ahead.BMP
• Temp_Camera_Ahead.BMP

10. Next take your sound files and re-name them as follows . Note it is better if you use 5 different sounds or spoken commans

• Gatso_Camera_Ahead.WAV
• Redlight_Camera_Ahead.WAV
• Specs_Camera_Ahead.WAV
• Mobile_Camera_Ahead.WAV
• Temp_Camera_Ahead.WAV

11. Now all you have to do is install all the copied and re-named files. Start ActiveSync Then use explorer to copy the BMP files to the

\Destinatorapps\Destinator\Common\Favorites Folder on your device, The copy the WAV Files into

\Destinatorapps\Destinator\Common\Interface\Voice\All Folder on your device.

Finally use Destinator Console to covert and install 5 Speed Camera CSV files onto your device.

12. Now all you will need to do is start navigator then go to Favorites select each of the 5 speed camera categories and enable each one by clicking the eye on. After this goto Tools Settings and set your warnings 600 first 100 second is a good starting point.

13. And that’s it all done. Now what will happen as you approach a speed camera the data base will not only play the appropriate sound but will also display the appropriate warning in the middle of the device screen? Instead of the usual Favorite Alert that it does by default

Hope the above has been of some help.

One last thing before you ask NO you cannot have different distance set for different categories that is now one of the few limitations with Destinator ND and the Limited PostCode support is the other.
venommous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, will this same process work with the Destinator PN program on an Acer n35, please?
timanfiya
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it will but I think you need the new patch for PN first. It is discussed here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34332

Pete
Destinator OP v 5.1.174

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: