Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin, Maptech and T-mobile pocket PC phone - no NMEA talk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin, Maptech and T-mobile pocket PC phone - no NMEA talk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey H
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Garmin, Maptech and T-mobile pocket PC phone - no NMEA talk Reply with quote

I am dissapointed that I cannot get my T-mobile pocket PC phone running Microsoft Pocket PC version 3.0.12039 (build 11178) and my new subscription to Maptech's Outdoor Navigator to accept the NMEA output at 4800 baud from my new Garmin GPSmap 76S through my new PC-Mobile connection model # GPRXDA.

I have tried all combinations of Com 1,2,3,8,and 9, restarted, and rebooted both simulating GPS and sitting outside on the stoop (live).

Please help me to understand what I am doing wrong.

My GPS icon remains red and unmoving from the New England area on Maptech's super low-res world map. (I'm in Florida).

Now if it would only acquire the NMEA output....

Is Maptech not compatible with Garmin?, is my brand new Pc-Mobile cable bad?

Appreciate any suggestions
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey, several things that might help you.

1. You need to make sure the GPSMap76S is exporting it's data signal as NMEA 4800. If this isn't set (default is GARMIN), then the PDA won't be able to understand the Garmin. This can be changed in the Setup menu on the Garmin. Go into MENU | SETUP press the left cursor key once to take you to the INTERFACE tab, then change Serial Data Format to NMEA and Baud to 4800

2. in 99% of cases, COM1 is the bottom sync port of the Pocket PC, the only exception I'm aware of is the Toshiba's, so you should be safe using COM1.

3. Make sure you set the MapTech to NMEA 4800.

4. If you have any keyboard drivers that plugs into the bottom port, disable them whilst you're using GPS. These will lock open the COM port and stop other accessories (like GPS) talking.

5. Try a soft reset if none of the above works, because sometimes if you've docked the Pocket PC to the cradle it may have also locked open the COM port, so soft reset the Pocket PC, then try connecting.
Jeffrey H
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - it works if I disable receiving all incoming IR beams and discoverable mode. (a check box under Settings - Connections - Beam).

Now "Follow mode" and "Scaling in" elude me. Maptech says they are dedicated hardware buttons. Jeffrey Atwood at Maptech help support is going to look into it. Maybe future software will allow these features to be software selected.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: