Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Use in Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Use in Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zx6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Use in Europe Reply with quote

Hiya, i'm looking to buy a gps for the bike and was wondering if anyone had experience of sat nav systems being use in europe. I have seen a few which say "major european roads included" and wondered what sort of detail these covered.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Use in Europe Reply with quote

Welcome

zx6 wrote:
major european roads included

I think this is motorways and A roads. If you want to tour in Europe then you want the full monty detailed maps. Watch out, they can be an expensive add on to some systems.

Bike oriented sat nav systems are the TomTom Rider (EU maps are extra) and the StreetPilot 26xx, 27xx or Quest 1 or Quest 2 from Garmin.

Most other PDA or dedicated systems are OK on the bike but not waterproof. Solutions range from a plastic bag, tank bag for proper armoured box for a PDA.

Mounting is no problem, RAM do a mount for almost anything or you can look at Touratech if you are doing the Paris/Dakar or you just want a really gucci mount.

It all depends on what your budget is really! How much are you looking at spending?
FXRStuarty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am beginning to think that I did not do enough research when I bought my Navman510 Sad Given that it is primarily for motorcycle use maybe I should have bought a Garmin Quest? There are loads of bike mounts available to fit the unit securely and it is waterproof.

Apart from being waterproof, what are the benefits, if any, of the Quest over Navman 510? Confused Dot hey both have the same features? What about UK/Euro maps, are they readily available?

TIA
zx6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, thanks for that Skippy.

Am looking to spend about £300 so the quest is within budget but will look at the others that have been mentioned. Glad you mentioned the places that sell mounts because there's no room for handlebar mounts on my zx6 Laughing Out Loud.
FXRStuarty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing some research today ref the attributes of my Navman and Quest.

The down side with Navman is it isnt waterproof. There are no alternative mounts suitable for a motorcycle. So I need to fab something to do the job. This is now in hand. The Navman has the facility to accept memory cards and I have the OEM card with UK and Ireland as well as 2x 256mb cards with Benelux, France and parts of Spain.

Does the Quest have space for a memory card? If not, is the internal memory big enough to take the maps you need for any Euro trip? I found that I need 2 cards to take the Euro maps I need for my trip to Spain late this year, this includes the Points Of Interest that I need e.g. fuel stations, speed cameras, ( :D ) dealerships should I require assistance etc. If Quest doesnt have an expansion slot and cant get all the maps and other info you will need on to the internal memory, which maps do you not take? How are the maps uploaded on the road?

I would be interested to hear from the experts on this.

TIA
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the quest is like the 2720 and has all maps of europe already in plus room to add poi. So much so that when you say to navigate to an address it first asks which country(stumped me 1st time cos I thought computers always say I live in either UK or Great Britain on garmin its ENGLAND) :D

I dont know what your navman looks like but have you checked out Otterboxes they are waterproof and can be mounted on bikes via ram mounts

CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at my post about Bike GPS systems I wrote quite a bit about the various options.

You might be suprised at the places you can attach a RAM mount, even on a bike like the ZX6. There are at least 3 places you can attach it to my CBR6! Check out the RAM mounts USA website and it has a wizard which will recommend a RAM mount for you.

The Quest 2 is out real soon now, it might be worth going for if only for the camera alerts (If this feature is important to you).

If you hunt carefully then you might find a killer deal on the Quest 1. A few places were dumping them for < £200 which is a blinding deal.

Do a search of the forum and see if you can find the Quest deals - I think PC world may have had a few at a seriously cheap price.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
zx6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking and the amount of options for the RAM mounts is ridiculous Laughing Out Loud.

Just for other peoples benefit (if they are looking) the new Garmin quest 2 has exactly the same maps as the Quest 1 (on the provided CD) it just uses different compression techniques for the files so the Quest 1 should have Street level maping with a decent SD card installed..

Think i'm going for the Quest 1 if i can get a good enough deal :D
1100xx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: use in europe Reply with quote

I used an emap last year as a trial. It worked spot on, made the bracket to hold it myself. This year Ive changed to a legend c, because the monochrome on the emap sometimes made it a little difficult to see routes. There is plenty of memory in both these units. We travelled all around the south of france into spain. The only problem I really had, was that the bike battery would lose power. this was due to the heat (Fan always cutting in), the traffic jams (Spain is a real pain as they dont want to let you Q jump), and having the headlight on.
The bracket I made used the handlebar clamp, and gave the steering enough leeway, without hitting the fairing/screen.
The other advantage to the emap/legend c, is that when off the bike, you can walk around town and not get lost!![/i]
Jives
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: SD? Reply with quote

Hi I got a Quest1 last week and am very happy with it so far, however I'm not aware of any SD card slots to load more maps. as I see it you have to load the maps off your cd to the onboard memory of the Quest, correct me if I'm wrong.
nigel1100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jives

You are quite right in that the Quest 1 and 2 both store maps on their internal memory. To add maps you just need to upload them via your pc and away you go.

For lots of help and usefull information go to http://www.elsinga.net/quest.html

Roberts site has lots of info and hints and tips on how to use the Quest.

Nigel
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quest 1 memory isn't anywhere near big enough to cover the whole of Europe, especially if you want the Benelux area included.
I took my 'bike to Croatia (zero coverage Sad ) last year and had to load a large "L" shaped coverage from Zeebrugge to Toulon and across to Italy/Slovenia. The width of the "L" was around 150km.
In other words I'd to have a pretty good idea of my route beforehand.

At the cutting edge of technophobia

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: