Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie- Led Zeppelin,Dazed and Confused
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie- Led Zeppelin,Dazed and Confused
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Newbie- Led Zeppelin,Dazed and Confused Reply with quote

Hi fellow bikers.

I am like so many others new to this GPS lark and am waiting to jump onboard.

After reading various posts, I feel the Quest is the one for me due to price and overall user options. I wish to use it in car, on the bike (drag 1100 classic) and when I get there, walking if needs be.

I do feel I have conflicting info on the quest. Can I ask and perhaps you guys (and gals ) can correct me?

1) I thought it took full uk postcode (note,I only want to use in UK for now). I would like to pop in postcode and go if possible.
2) i can get the TomTom 300 for £250 with discount new. if it was your money, which one would you go for. I have found the quest best price for £288 in uk, so price isn't a question between these two
3) looking at the specs, is says 'at best' these with are accurate to within 3 meters. is this good compared to other units? I don't have a clue to whats good or bad.
4) curious about these MIO 269 plus units. again, if it was your money, which one would you buy?

This bit on the bike front is important. The soft southern don't take the old cruiser out in the rain , but I do intend travelling this summer in uk for long weekends, so knowing the good old blighty, I'm (and the bike are) gonna get wet. need to bear this in mind.

Final question is, it would be great to go to a shop that a) knew what they were on about and not try to rip off someone who is green on the subject, b)friendly and c) close as poss to swindon wilts

can you please recommend someone?

Boy, am I getting my money's worth today Laughing Out Loud.

Have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year everyone.

all best
funnyfreddie
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honnest i think a pda system would better for you somthing like the mio 168 as you could then choose what software to put on and also use it for walking via something like memorymap though for this you would need a booster pack for the pda

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alix776
thanks for the suggestion. My only reservation re PDA's is I own a Sony Clie and to be honest, find I don't really use it anymore. I found it easier to use paper and pen ( I know- ludite Laughing Out Loud)

I will have a look at what you suggested and thanks.
ff
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its going to be used a lot on the bike ,your going to get wet(cos it always starts raining 10 minutes after you start out). the only one that you mentioned that is waterproof is the quest also if you have a valid vat no it might be worth checking out www.aspidshop.com . And I would look to get the Quest 2 as it will take the pocketgps speed camera database and warn you when there is a dreaded camera in your path.More money for the 2 but how much is a licence worth.

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
ST4S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Freddie, I went through all the researching/questions too, but went for the Quest in the end as it does all 3 things you want (there was no Quest2 at the time I bought) ie Bike, Car & On-Foot (its great for finding your car in a big car park!).
Not being able to do a postcode entry and no touch-screen is a bit of a pain but if you need a waterproof unit for a bike then your choice is restricted. I am more than happy with my Quest so far. It worked great on a bike trip to France and has also done the job on many business trips fitted in the car. To get around the fiddly address location entry I usually set it up beforehand on the PC and just download routes etc to the Quest. I'm going to Italy next year and have found loads of photo's on the web posted by previous travellers who had the foresight to include lat/long data with their pics, which means I can go to the exact spot myself when I'm there.
BTW I travel to Swindon once a week so if you want to meet up and get some info and see the unit work, give me a shout (st4s@forza.demon.co.uk, I'll find you with the Quest Laughing Out Loud)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie- Led Zeppelin,Dazed and Confused Reply with quote

Welcome

1) The Quest 2 will do full postcodes and speed camera alerts but the Quest 1 won't.

2) Tough question. The TT has bigger screen and touch screen input so it it much less fiddly to enter addresses than the Quest. However, I don't think it comes with full EU maps included like the Quest does and you don't get the maps on your PC as well as the GPS. (I like to plan my rides on the PC before I go)

3) Ignore the specs about accuracy and time to first fix, they are all roughly the same to be perfectly honest. The exception seems to be SiRF III chipset devices which hold a fix better (neither unit uses this chipset)

4) Don't know about the Mio.

Quote:
can you please recommend someone?

You could check out the GPS Warehouse which is near Heathrow (check that they are open) or some into London to Tottenham Court Road (although you won't get very good advice from the latter).
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. ST4,did you receive my pm sent yesterday?
ST4S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Fred, never got your PM Reply with quote

freddie, your PM never arrived and I sent you one which seems to have failed too.
Try e-mailing if you like .. st4s@forza.demon.co.uk
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have brought a quest V7. now me troubles have began Laughing Out Loud

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I now will be trolling through the forum to help sort out my issues with the Quest-first one being the crap car speaker. any pointers here folks?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably the voices that are loaded that are causing the problem, not the speaker.

Go to Garmin's web site and get the latest firmware and voices and install them on the Quest. The old voices then they are almost impossible to understand!!

Good luck!
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Skippy,
i have already set the vol on the unit ( gain level) to 3 as suggested by Elingas ? helpful web page. this helps,but it don't make a skoda a rolls royce. I would like to improve further if possible.
I will try what you said. one question before I do this. As I said, I have just brought this unit second hand and I do have the unlock codes etc. do I need to re register this unit in my name and if so, what's the process?

Any help/advice appreciated.

cheers Andy
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should ask the seller to contact Garmin and tell them that the unit has been sold and Garmin will transfer the unlock code to you.

You don't need to reregister it to upgrade the firmware though.

To check your firmware version go Menu-Menu-About Quest. It should say Audio version 3.0. If it doesn't then definately upgrade it. When I first got my Quest I could hardly understand the voice prompts. The upgrade fixed this.

I have firmware 3.40 but I think the latest is 3.50.
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy.

I must be honest and say, unfortunately the seller and I did not part on the best of terms,I won't bore you which what happened. I'll just say that i don't feel that i will receive any support from that avenue which may make it a little tough for me.

I'm sure if I explain the situation and if neccessary, forward copies of my bill of sale etc, they will accept that-fingers crossed.

I hope to have a look at what you suggested tomorrow-wife, work, shopping-todo list allowing Laughing Out Loud.

Thanks for the help and advice-appreciated. On a slight tagent, I used it again yesterday to try a route I know from swindon to reading. it worked fine except one small bit heading back out of reading and approaching the M4. It was going to take me completely away from where I wished to go. I accept it may have got me to the M4 but the long way round. Next time, I will go with it and see where I end up,only yesterday, time wasn't allowing.

In general though, I'm still happy with it and think sat nav is a lot more postive than negative.

After I've sorted out the re reg and upgrades issues as you suggested, I'm gonna try out the detour function. if only Andy took the time to read the manual first. Manual's who needs 'em Laughing Out Loud
funnyfreddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Skippy, how do I turn off that annoying bleep sound? everytime I press a button, it bleeps at me ..Arrgghh!

Now that is a priority Laughing Out Loud
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnyfreddie wrote:
PS Skippy, how do I turn off that annoying bleep sound? everytime I press a button, it bleeps at me ..Arrgghh!

Menu -> Menu -> System Setup -> Keypress tone OFF!

It was one of the first things I did too. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: