Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again on behalf of all the other members of this big community I would like to extend my gratitude to all those who work very hard to maintain this site and make it the fantastic resource that it is. I am sure that the Mods were only trying to start a consultation process with us regarding this idea of charging and hear the community's views. Now that our views are as clear as they could get and that it is very obvious that the results of their research on their meeting in Basingstock were not at all representative of the whole community's opinion, it is their turn to thank all the contributors to this debate and more importantly to the database and declare their idea of charging full of flaws and caveats and would definitly announce the death of this great website.
mjhodgson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you decide to do, please provide an alternative to PayPal. I know I and probably a lot of others will not touch PayPal with a very long barge pole. Friend Reunited charge a fiver a year for site extras on credit card.
Vortex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I am a "newbie" as far as posting here is concerned, I have been visiting the site/forums for a couple of years and have downloaded the database via different ISPs. You want to be more professional? Do some real market research and, as a number of people have suggested, have a proper poll and make the details available. Put it on the database download page so that you get a real idea of whether or not you'll have a customer base and keep your contributors. If the majority really don't mind paying it will make your business plan much more secure and perhaps the minority will then change their minds. I'm not personally in favour of paying but but maybe I'm just one of a handfull. You'll never silence your critics without evidence (plus it will give you a warm feeling if you're shown to be correct). Not having a poll gives the impression that you don't think it will go in your favour. Have the courage of your convictions!
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not averse to paying for something that is useful to me.

However, two points:

Paying monthly (particularly a small amount) is a pain in the bum, and I can see myself missing some months just because it's too much trouble and I'm lazy.

A subscription for access to enhanced services is one thing, a fee for downloading a product (or update) is quite another. You'll be subject to the usual consumer legislation. So the Sale of Goods Act mean the product will have to be of reasonable quality and so on. It's a big jump from allowing your bandwidth to be used to download a file maintained by someone else, to being the seller of your own product.

Based on the responses here, I think you should also consider how to recompense your contributors who look like they won't support your commercial endeavour.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex wrote:
... have a proper poll and make the details available.

What would be the point of that?

A poll would automatically be biased towards the objectors.

Why? Because people with strong objections will say that they will never pay for it (to enforce their objection), while a significant proportion of those would still pay for it anyway. Supporters would have no reason to tell a white lie, since it wouldn't make sense for them to say that they would pay for it, and then not.

Since a poll is basically anonymous, there is no commitment on the part of the voter to follow through on his vote.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
ChrisCubed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A POLL Reply with quote

conroyd wrote:
COULD POCKETGSWORLD PLEASE ORGANISE A POLL, AND SEE WHAT THE ACTUAL FEELING AMONG FORUM MEMEBRS IS

And let's not hide behind statistics. Lets put the issue to poll, and accept that if people can't be bothered to vote, then for the purpose of the results they don't count.

Let's not have any "silent supporting majority" theories...

They already know what the answer will be. We already know what the answer will be.

Which is why they won't put one up.
s_roberts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that they have made their decision, there will be a charge for this database - what a shame, this used to be an excellent web site, and for all that money we won't really see an benefit to the end user !!
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
Vortex wrote:
... have a proper poll and make the details available.

What would be the point of that?

A poll would automatically be biased towards the objectors.

What was the point of the "market research" at the Basingstoke event then? That was an event where you could argue they were preaching to the converted and is no way representative of the majority of the PGPS user population. Yet they based their idea to go "professional" on results obtained from a tiny fraction of the user population including the strange notion that when someone at the event said it was great, that meant they needed to chrge for it!

Quote:
Why? Because people with strong objections will say that they will never pay for it (to enforce their objection), while a significant proportion of those would still pay for it anyway. Supporters would have no reason to tell a white lie, since it wouldn't make sense for them to say that they would pay for it, and then not.

Since a poll is basically anonymous, there is no commitment on the part of the voter to follow through on his vote.

Saying you don't want to pay a fee for the database does not mean you won't pay if charging came in. The fact you may end up begrudgingly paying anyway in no way invalidates your objection to doing so in the first place so I don't see your point.

Dave
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at this thread for god's sake. Who needs a poll when you have 35 pages of objections building up over the last couple of days from people of this very community. If nobody can see the resentment here about this idea of suddenly "turning professionals" then something is seriously wrong.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better get in again before they lock this thread now. Evil or Very Mad

The obvious place for a poll would be to tie it in with the January download. Then, all the (probably the majority) of users who have no idea what is about to happen, will be able to see and vote. (I'll not get started on the wording of the poll question).

Secondly, I must say that obviously nothing that has been said here against the changes, seems to have made a blind bit of difference to the descision already made. The "official" replies have been terribly selective in what points they answer, and deleting posts, changing people's signatures and removing links, shows an arrogance and lack of feeling that astounds me.

Thirdly, another point. Hopefully in the past I have made a useful contribution to the forum in general, I have really enjoyed helping other people with their problems where I can (and a great many problems have been sorting out the convoluted and not terribly well explained contents of the camera POI download package!).
Did you owners of the site not think that as well as the input of new cameras drying up, many contributors to the forums may simply go elsewhere too, impoverishing your knowledge base and the usefulness of the forum to everyone? Or do you just not care about the forums that much?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Just look at this thread for god's sake. Who needs a poll when you have 35 pages of objections building up over the last couple of days from people of this very community.

it's not actually 35 pages of objections. there are still a large number of positive comments.

MaFt
pinger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As these cameras are placed where there is a security issue, is it not in the interest of the Police to make as many people know of these cameras as possible? FOI and all that should surely help our case for having these locations posted by the relevant authority.

If having to pay for the service, I would rather go to TomTom which manually verifies each location.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinger wrote:
If having to pay for the service, I would rather go to TomTom which manually verifies each location.

... which apparently hasn't updated it in over a year...
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather go to TomTom which manually verifies each location.

do they really ????

how many updates do you get for 50 quid a year

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinger wrote:

Hmmm strange that, most comments i have read regarding the tomtom camera database people seem to think thats it's quite out of date and not updated very often atall.
Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 33 of 60

Jump to: