Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Probs with Palm/Kirrio/ViaMich Nav Companion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Probs with Palm/Kirrio/ViaMich Nav Companion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr_Evil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Probs with Palm/Kirrio/ViaMich Nav Companion Reply with quote

Hi,

I am going loopy trying to sort out what I hope is a simple software setup problem. Grateful for advice.

I have already installed ViaMichelin 3.0 on my Tungsten E2 (Palm OS v.54). I am trying to get it to work with the Palm/Kirrio Navigation Companion (GPS cradle 6120).

Here is how far I can get:

1. Install cradle in car, connect power to cig lighter and cradle, insert PDA.
2. Blue light at cig lighter and steady blue light at cradle.
3. Switch on PDA, which shows it is charging.
4. In ViaMichelin GPS setup, set baud to 4800 (this being the most common one; I do not know what baud setting is actually the correct one).
5. In ViaMichelin GPS status, a green tick in the top left indicates that the GPS path is open. However, no satellite bars are visible at all. The cradle's blue light remains constant (it should flicker if receiving GPS data).
6. In ViaMichelin navigation, the phrases "GPS position not reliable" and "could not open GPS port" appear at the top of the screen.
7. Nothing in the above changes if I attach an external antenna.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.

Dr E
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dr Evil, I'm not sure, but almost sure, the blue light on the cradel should be constant, not flashing, mine is anyway, if it's flashing, its not connected to the PDA, so you will get the error messages you mentioned, because the PDA is running the softwear without a GPS attached. Mine does it sometimes, you need to fiddle with the power lead, and the PDA in the cradel untill the cradel light is constant, then it is attached, then the softwear can find the satallites, through the port which will be open. I'm not sure if a low PDA battery upsets the connection, sometimes I fiddle with it, and the light is flashing, then after a few minuites, it stops flashing and is conected, as if a few minites on charge has sorted it out, might just be me. The braud rate on mine is set to 4800 too.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dr Evil, it's me again, first of all, sorry you are right, the blue cradel light does Blink when seeking GPS location fix (or so it says here), also it says, "When using your GPS cradel for the first time, or after a certain time of inactivity, please try to initialise the GPS cradle for a few minutes in a clear open space while your car is stationary". Have you tried getting a fix, somewhere else, in a more open space.
Dr_Evil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

In fact, the problem resolved when I upgraded from v3.0 to 3.2 and also cleared enough spare RAM on the PDA to allow ViaMichelin the 12Mb or so it needs. Both of these were suggestions made by the ViaMichelin tech support bods, so kudos to them.
ixnewt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Make sure you run GPS tool or GPS utility Reply with quote

The driver supplied by Michelin/Kirrio called GPS tool or utility needs to be run once to discover the port configuration.

I have to admit that I gave up with the Michelin software (V3) and purchased Tom Tom 5 (Europe Maps). The driver above is still necessary to comunicate with the Kirrio cradle. Once set up it works very well.
psm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Make sure you run GPS tool or GPS utility Reply with quote

ixnewt wrote:
The driver supplied by Michelin/Kirrio called GPS tool or utility needs to be run once to discover the port configuration.

I have to admit that I gave up with the Michelin software (V3) and purchased Tom Tom 5 (Europe Maps). The driver above is still necessary to comunicate with the Kirrio cradle. Once set up it works very well.

I own a Palm T|X with Kirrio GPS Cradle 6120 and ViaMichelin 4.1. I'd like to try TomTom 5 before buying it, but everytime i try it, i get an error that TomTom does not see my GPS Cradle.

Any idea ?
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, psm. I'm sorry I can't help you with your problem although other posts on this board suggest that what you want to do is possible.

This is in another thread :

Tebster wrote:
You can get the Kirrio cradle to work with Tom Tom 5 but unfortunately you lose the use of the powered speaker in the cradle but the gps works fine.

To enter the settings in TT5 you go into change preferences / show gps status then configure.

Choose other cable nmea gps then set the baud rate to 57600, you should then select S2410 Com 1.

If it doesnt detect the receiver just play around with the baud rates.

This worked fine on my ipaq rz1710 :D

Tebster wrote:
On my previous post i wrongly quoted the baud rate, you should set it to 19200 :D

But maybe you can help me. You say you're trying TomTom 5 before buying it - how can you do this ? I haven't seen any way to get a free trial of TomTom 5.
kevinbrooker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Make sure you run GPS tool or GPS utility Reply with quote

ixnewt wrote:

Ixnewt,

Are you saying that you got TomTom5 working with the Palm Navigation Companion (Kirro) mount? (Palm Part number 3224)

How? I've tried every BAUD rate, and the GPS device is not found.
The GPS Tool utility recognises the cradle when it's plugged into it; it's just not passing the details onto TomTom!

Anyone else know a hack to solve this?
Via Michelin really is a very poor product compare to TomTom.
gregory_henley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Tungsten E2 with GPS-Cradle Reply with quote

Hi for all.
I 've recieved Tungsten e2 with GPS-Cradle and Navigation ViaMichelin.
I have maps only for Spain and Portugal.
I've decided to instal tomtom 5 but i cant't cofigurate a palm and a cradle.
When I turn on ViaMichelin it finds a signal from satelites, but if I turn on it can't find gps device.
I hope someone has any idea to solve this problem.
Thanks in advanced ....
lacorbiere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having struggled with this all day, you need to make sure you have the version 5.201 update from Tomtom which can be downloaded for free. Once you have the update the GPS cradle appears as if by magic in the GPS preferences, with a nice picture.
:D

Works like a dream!

Jonathan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: