Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Rider
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Rider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d3f3nd3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: TomTom Rider Reply with quote

So far I have these issues so if anyone can help me to overcome them I would really appreciate it:

In TomTom v3 you used to be able to select via properties pages which shortcuts you wanted to appear on which pages so that you could put your most frequently used ones on the first options pages, you didn't need to navigate through 5 pages of shortcuts to get to the one you wanted.

In TomTom v3 you used to be able to use the GoTo function to go to a specific GPS coordinates - save them as a favourite and then navigate to that favourite.

One very VERY annoying 'feature' is that as soon as you place it in the cradle and you tap the screen to get to the navigation features it only gives you 4 options. You lose the ability to change from daylight to night colours, you cannot avoid road blocks or navigate around something, you cannot navigate to an address that is not already a favorite. The only way to access these features is to take it out of the cradle - not exactly something you can do while driving or riding your bike!

I really can't believe they have done this, I really feel cheated that I have bought a newer version of a product and have lost a considerable amount of features. It's a pity not one of the 8 reviews I have read highlighted any of these issues.

To make things a lot better - you cannot charge your Bluetooth headset while using it because as soon as you plug the charger into the headset it switches itself off.

TT Support just shrugs their shoulders and says very unsympathetically 'Thanks for your £600 but you can't do that in this version'.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The four button menu should only appear when you have the device cradled and if you are moving. If you have it cradled but are statinary, you should have access to the full menu system; I certainly do.

If the device doesn't have a fix, it might assume you're moving and restrict you to the four button menu.

Last edited by Tim Buxton on Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
d3f3nd3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there no way to get rid of the 4 button menu? Or even to change the shortcuts that appear on there?

When I am driving in traffic and I see a roadblock coming up I certainly don't want to drive right until I am in the traffic block, I want to reroute before I get there! Or if I hear on the radio that there is a problem at junction 6 and I am not there yet I want to be able to route around it. You cannot stop on the motorway.

I've just read in the manual that its a safety feature! Since when is TomTom deciding for me (an allegedly responsible adult with, shock horror... a driving license) what is safe and what isn't? The least TomTom can do is put an option there for me to choose which shortcuts I want there.

I am starting to believe that the TT Rider isn't fit for purpose.
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a new thing? I have no such restriction on my GO the full menu is available regardless if it stationary or moving or if the go is on the cradle or even plugged into the ciggerette lighter.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:
Is this a new thing? I have no such restriction on my GO the full menu is available regardless if it stationary or moving or if the go is on the cradle or even plugged into the ciggerette lighter.

It's one of the differences between the ONE and the GO.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:

TomTom saw fit to introduce this for safety reasons on the RIDER. It's not popular and could easily be modified at a later date follwoing feedback.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3f3nd3r wrote:
I've just read in the manual that its a safety feature! Since when is TomTom deciding for me (an allegedly responsible adult with, shock horror... a driving license) what is safe and what isn't?

Oh dear. Maybe they could have a preference setting saying "I am not a 16 year old riding a scooter, I am a mature rider riding a 160 MPH superbike. Please don't patronise me with 'safety' modes - I do know what I am doing" which switches this "feature" off.
d3f3nd3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agreed - why couldn't they just have had an option to switch the 4 button menu off? Even put a BIG safety warning there but don't make safety decisions for me. Its the most frustrating thing - you cannot change from day to night colours, you cannot avoid a roadblock unless you drive right into it until you are stationary - as you are not allowed to stop on motorways you'll either not be able to use the feature (completely defeating the object of the feature and the reason why I bought my 3rd TomTom in row) or you'll try to take it out of the cradle and do it while riding - making it far more dangerous than if you could just access the menus.

In my whole life I have never written a letter of complaint until now.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i would say the same, things like being able to make a quick call when stuck in traffic to advise someone that you will be late.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me these "lock out" features are not present in the ONE? Sad
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope i dont think they are Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Please tell me these "lock out" features are not present in the ONE? Sad

They're not it's a RIDER/Motorcycle specific feature.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be the same for car drivers anyway, they are always playing about with things in the car and not paying any attention on the road Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: