Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 12 satellite fix seen!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

12 satellite fix seen!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 12 satellite fix seen! Reply with quote

On Friday 15 August at around 4pm I was driving in the Peterborough area and seeing reports of very high numbers of satellites being used in the fix.

Mainly I was seeing 10 satellites being used, sometimes 9 and sometimes 11, but once I glanced at TomTom Navigator 2 and saw 12 being used!

I suspect this is an unusual case. I couldn't stop to record information using WinFast Navigator, but I suspect this was particularly favourable satellite geometry. Even so, it shows it is possible to get a 12 satellite fix.

Haicom HI-303MMF (SiRFstar IIe/LP based receiver - 231.000.000ES firmware), using the internal antenna.

NMEA mode, SBAS off, using TomTom GPS driver 2.06 in the "Haicom GPS" setting.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 12 satellite fix seen! Reply with quote

12 is certainly possible, it really depends the time of day and where the satellites are positioned. I've experienced 12 sat fixes around 6pm. From a frequency point of view I get a 12 sat fix prob one or twice every 6 months.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

I often have 10-12 sats in the morning at about 7:00 to 8:45. The first time I took a screen shot nobody believed me!! I was accused of being creative in Photoshop.

It does happen, but not that often.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Ah, but you were
murphwiz
Occasional Visitor

I'm using a pharos GPS i180 on a compaq 3630, with TTN 2.24 gps 2.06..

I have difficulty getting a fix, takes ages to fix (10 mins!) and quite often looses it at a crucial moment!

always seems to be 4-5 sats at best..

Anything I can do to improve?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I worry when someone reports a 13 satellite fix - I don't believe there's any receivers (in the consumer market, at least) with more than 12 channels.

Indeed, I have heard it said that 12 is the maximum number of Navstar satellites that can be overhead with the current orbits used, though I can't find that asserted that strongly. If that's the case, then I think the only chance of a >12 satellite fix is to use one or more SBAS satellites that are putting out ranging information.

murphwiz - is the setup any better with the GPS outside the car? If so, you could have a heat reflecting windscreen.

David
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

You are indeed correct.

If you are using WAAS/EGNOS/SBAS then you will receive 1 less sat than the maximum.

Unless someone is marketing a receiver with more than 12 channels then more than 12 is impossible.

Potentially you could recieve more than 12 sat fixes as there are a number of spares that may or may not be active, if they are then it is feasible I suppose that more than 12 could be in view at any one time. But what is the point over about 6 sats doesn't seem to improve accuracy at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: