Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs for all UK business types
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs for all UK business types
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: POIs for all UK business types Reply with quote

Hello all

I have started to develop a new website at http://www.poidownload.co.uk which can generate POI lists for any UK business type.

Eg. if you want Taxi companies, Cafes, Car Washes, absolutely anything, you can go on and create a POI file automatically from published company information.

The site is in its infancy and I am looking for feedback on its usefulness... It's a bit slow to generate the lists initially but please be patient. Once a few more people have used it the speed will improve since the POIs get cached on the server.

I would be interested in your comments...

Best regards

Andrew Ace
www.poidownload.co.uk
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

It looks like a very useful website! Thumbs Up

I must admit I didn't wait for the POI to load as I chose a business which I don't think had been selected before, so the process looked like it would take some time.

I agree though, once people start using it and all of the file types are used at least once, it should prove very useful for anyone looking to download a POI that isn't already available on the Pocket GPS World website.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
phily
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

Great site have used it twice with no problems on download.

Have recommended the site on another thread.
fingery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great idea 8)

Just downloading a few to try it out :D
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very impressed :D Having chosen a topic, Museums, the ASC file was generated very quickly. On inspection I found that there were 954 entries and I could spot many of the museums that are local to me as well as The Natural History Museum etc. I still have to create a corresponding OV2 file and look at them on a map.

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: POIs for all UK business types Reply with quote

andrewace wrote:
Hello all

I have started to develop a new website at http://www.poidownload.co.uk which can generate POI lists for any UK business type.

Eg. if you want Taxi companies, Cafes, Car Washes, absolutely anything, you can go on and create a POI file automatically from published company information.

The site is in its infancy and I am looking for feedback on its usefulness... It's a bit slow to generate the lists initially but please be patient. Once a few more people have used it the speed will improve since the POIs get cached on the server.

I would be interested in your comments...

Best regards

Andrew Ace
www.poidownload.co.uk

Hi Andrew,

It would be useful to be able to select a subset of a category, eg by postcode area or county. This would give users a chance to reduce the size of some of the files by extracting only those entries that are, say, local to them.

At the moment I am 75% of the way through Restaurants - Italian. Goodness knows how many I will end up with.

Oh it has finished having extracted 1921 places. Well done.

Richard
streetbum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!

andrewace you have made my day Smile
thankyou.

Pete.
andrewace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your great feedback! :D

Am currently working hard to speed it all up dramatically - running a script to generate all the POI lists (from 2000+ categories!!) so that you won't have to wait around all day for it - it's taking its time though!

Oldie, your idea is good, I will try to incorproate a postcode checker to give the option of only getting POIs within a certain distance.

Any other feedback or ideas for it?

Cheers
Andrew

www.poidownload.co.uk
JoeFruitBat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

Very glad to see more POIs pop up and even more glad to see them for free Laughing

Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't wish to offend you and the obvious hard work you are doing.
The database or server or whatever is just far to slow m8. I know you say it's big but you are not talking about big data. If you would like some help with this (it's my living) I would be only to please to offer some.
I can alos host an SQL server for you if it's a hosting issue obviously at no charge.
I deal with some very large databases holding millions of records and some of the records are not small I'm sure improvements could be made

Regards
andrewace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed JoeFruitBat. The slowness isn't on the poi download server itself but an external server which needs to be trawled to generate a new poi list.

The script I'm running now is saving the data on the local database, which is obviously much faster. You will find that any categories up to the letter 'M' are very fast... and all should be this quick within the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Andrew
www.poidownload.co.uk
GGMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, is there any way of converting it to csv for Navman V3. I tried but get this error "No POI's found in input file". What does this mean? I also managed to get it tio reconise it now but its to big PPC. Ant ideas on how to put it onto SD card and that ST v3 will reconise it? Many Thanks.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GGMan wrote:
Hi, is there any way of converting it to csv for Navman V3. I tried but get this error "No POI's found in input file". What does this mean? I also managed to get it tio reconise it now but its to big PPC. Ant ideas on how to put it onto SD card and that ST v3 will reconise it? Many Thanks.

I haven't tried this yet myself, but it shouldn't be much of a problem.
I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Dowload the desired file from http://www.poidownload.co.uk
2. Convert it into ov2 format with the makeov2 application, that can be downloaded from various locations, like http://www.poidownload.co.uk
3. Convert this ov2 file into an Autoroute pushpin file (csv extension).
4. Open this csv file in Note Pad and delete the first line
5. Now open this file from the SmartST POI editor

Please let me know if you get this to work. If I have time I will have a go myself some time. Maybe there's a chance that we will se an appliation that converts directly from asc format into Navman csv. That would make it all easier...

Good luck,
Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better way forward would be for Navman to embrace the existing Autoroute pushpin .csv standard and make their POI Editor either use or ignore the first line in .csv files.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
A better way forward would be for Navman to embrace the existing Autoroute pushpin .csv standard and make their POI Editor either use or ignore the first line in .csv files.

I can agree with that Exclamation :D

It would be very nice to see a webb service similar to http://www.poidownload.co.uk in Sweden. Might be something to look into...
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the POI Download UK website, for the first time in a month or so. I noticed that when you hit the "Generate POIs" button, you’re now taken to a secure PayPal site and asked to make a donation.

POI Download UK website wrote:
About this service

This site offers free download of UK company information for use with GPS navigation systems such as TomTom. All information comes from a freely available UK company database - this site makes no guarantees about the accuracy or completeness of the data.

Position data comes from UK postcodes. The centre of the postcode area is taken as the location for the company - this is generally very accurate especially in built-up areas, but could be less precise in rural parts.

Anybody know how long the POI Download UK website has no longer been a free site to use?

Please don’t get me wrong, it’s Andrew’s website and he’s spent a lot of time developing so he’s entitled to get some money back for his efforts. I’m just interested in knowing when the website started to ask for a donation.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: