Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied the 2.7 update from Garmin immediately it came out, and my unit has never been the same since then. I have noticed that the unit became slower, sometimes there are delays before the map shows up to match the voice prompts. Stay away from the 2.7 update - I would have reset the unit, but am so scared of losing all my favourites! I hope Garmin does something to remedy this soon . . . and give us free v8 map upgrades too!
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolty wrote:
Does anyone still get the white square/black dot instead of the speed limit icon?

I've checked my colour depths etc and they're OK.

Any help would be appreciated.

Confused!

I think it's because different speed alerts have different icons. For example, near where I live, I get the normal speed camera icon for a fixed speed camera if I'm above the speed limit. I just get the alert if I'm at 30mph or under.

I've only seen the black dot in white square on the motorway, and I think this is because these are mobile sites where they sit on bridges and get you that way. Perhaps the different icons symbolise different types of speed devices.
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine (V2.7) the mobile units have their own symbol. With the latest version of the camera database I've not seen the white square and black dot, though I did get it on the last one. Only odd thing I've seen is the camera symbol being alternated with a red circle containing the speed limit.
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Europe Maps Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in using their i3 in Europe - I have a sealed and unused City Select V6 with unlock codes for the whole of Europe. Garmin will issue an update disc for V7 for free.

You can download maps to a Transflash card and the software will allow you to download to two Garmin devices.

Garmin will want £76 + vat for each of the 8 regions of Europe - I am looking for £65 including postage.
erniesone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Europe Maps Reply with quote

blackrat62 wrote:
If anyone is interested in using their i3 in Europe - I have a sealed and unused City Select V6 with unlock codes for the whole of Europe. Garmin will issue an update disc for V7 for free.

You can download maps to a Transflash card and the software will allow you to download to two Garmin devices.

Garmin will want £76 + vat for each of the 8 regions of Europe - I am looking for £65 including postage.

I will purchase the City Select if it is still available. Contact erniesheppard@hotmail.com
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Europe Maps Reply with quote

erniesone1 wrote:
I will purchase the City Select if it is still available. Contact erniesheppard@hotmail.com

You should check with Garmin to confirm that it is possible to sell the City Select licence in this way and that it is actually compatible with your GPS unit.
EggZenBeanz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Europe Maps Reply with quote

erniesone1 wrote:
blackrat62 wrote:

i3s also use the new NT mapping format. So the i3 ISN'T compatible with other versions, only the new NT mapping system.

When the FREE upgrade happens for every i3 customer the new version 8 maps will be City Nav NT maps, no longer city select.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the i3 IS compatable with city select europe and mg usa v4.01..its been proven by me and geckogirl...'nt ' is only the way the mapping is compressed
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly was me.

I have assurances from a senior person in the UK Sales and Marketing office to this effect. We are still waiting for the process to be put in place. Rest assured when we are given the details you will be getting them.
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did check with Garmin that it is OK to use the City Select maps this way and that it is compatible with the i3 - the answer was a very clear YES and a check back through this forum shows the answer to the question also.

In fact it is very easy to check compatability on Garmin's home page - there is a list for each mapping product.

All rather irrelevant now though - SOLD. Thanks.

If anyone else has these maps (or buys them elsewhere) - Garmin will allow their use for TWO devices - I'll leave the options that opens up to you (or two of you).
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Question about the proximity alerts, with the POI's that MaFt has kindly made, am I correct in the belief that the only things that show up by default are the cameras?

Would be handy to know if I can see if I'm close to a fuel station, fast food joint, services etc without having to search for one (if you know what I mean!).

Thanks.
attic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am I correct in the belief that the only things that show up by default are the cameras?

It depends how you set them up in POI loader. If you use the Express method, then yes.

If you use the Manual method, you get to choose if you want a proximity alert for each POI file you are uploading.

But once you've uploaded it, you can't turn it off. You will ALWAYS be boinged every time you pass a McD, or whatever which will drive you mad (imho).

Only way to stop it, is to reload POI and take off proximity. Laughing
erniesone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackrat62 wrote:
I did check with Garmin that it is OK to use the City Select maps this way and that it is compatible with the i3 - the answer was a very clear YES and a check back through this forum shows the answer to the question also.

In fact it is very easy to check compatability on Garmin's home page - there is a list for each mapping product.

All rather irrelevant now though - SOLD. Thanks.

If anyone else has these maps (or buys them elsewhere) - Garmin will allow their use for TWO devices - I'll leave the options that opens up to you (or two of you).

I assume that it is necessary to employ an unlock code in order to use City Select maps on the i3. There has been discussion about a hidden sector on the i3 memory card - other cards will not work. Clearly I do not wish to overwrite the official memory card. Will the unlock code do the same job on a separate memory card or what is the procedure to use City Select maps?
Suasexed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I think i'm going to pop out and get one of these today. I've seen them here and there and a couple of people i know off a different forum who have bought one - and for the price they're a steal. Oooh but Dixon's are giving away a free iPod Shuffle with the tomtomgo700's... nahhh!

Great, informative post by the way, i was up all last night reading all 38 pages! :D
Suasexed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've just got back from Argos, got it for 169.99 which really is a bargin. Haven't had chance to set it up yet (yeah i know it literally takes 2 secs!) but the unit looks great, very compact and seems like it's going to be very easy to use!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 36 of 39

Jump to: