Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suasexed wrote:
Well i've just got back from Argos, got it for 169.99 which really is a bargin. Haven't had chance to set it up yet (yeah i know it literally takes 2 secs!) but the unit looks great, very compact and seems like it's going to be very easy to use!

v7 or v8 software?
Suasexed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box says it's v7 software...i haven't checked the unit yet but i very much doubt it's v8 Sad Hopefully Garmin will offer the upgrade free to everyone as hoped.
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suasexed wrote:
Great, informative post by the way, i was up all last night reading all 38 pages! :D

What... you mean to say that you have only read the 38 pages of this particular thread! Wink

Don't forget to check out all the other i3 related threads as well... that should keep you up for all of tonight as well! :D

BTW, I did note that in you last post you mentioned you hadn't got round to setting up you new purchase yet. When you do get round to doing so, don't get too impatient if it takes longer than you expect to find the correct language, and for it to locate the satellites for the first time.

I was convinced mine was broken at first, but once out 'on the road' things do happen much quicker... before I had even gone 100 yards off the prescribed route it was already calculating a new one for me!... Enjoy!
ixion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suasexed wrote:
The box says it's v7 software

The boxes woth v8 don't actually say v8 they just say 'preprogrammed with city navigator europe NT (UK/IRELAND only)
Whereas the units with v7 actually say v7 on the box!
r172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ixion wrote:
Suasexed wrote:
The box says it's v7 software

The boxes woth v8 don't actually say v8 they just say 'preprogrammed with city navigator europe NT (UK/IRELAND only)
Whereas the units with v7 actually say v7 on the box!

I've just bought an i3 today. Didn't know until the V7/V8 thing until reading this thread, but it does say 'V8' on the bottom of the box, near the bar code as well as in 'MapSource' in the settings menu.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you tell us where you got your V8 from?

Thanks
ixion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r172 wrote:
it does say 'V8' on the bottom of the box, near the bar code

Your correct, I didn't notice that but there is a ver small v8 by the barcode.
Minx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a StreetPiloti3 got mine from Halfords online if that helps ya Marty-Party.
Minx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops sorry should have stated it's v8. Embarassed
ixion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my V8 from Halfords too.
GaryBlanchard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Europe Maps Reply with quote

[/quote]When the FREE upgrade happens for every i3 customer the new version 8 maps will be City Nav NT maps, no longer city select.[/quote]

Bought my i3 V7 a few weeks ago.. Does anybody know when we might get our V8 update maps?

Gary
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Europe Maps Reply with quote

GaryBlanchard wrote:

Bought my i3 V7 a few weeks ago.. Does anybody know when we might get our V8 update maps?

Gary

still waiting for mikeb/garmin to tell us gary..
GaryBlanchard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Zogman.
I'll just have to wait!
Gary
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom One - Garmin i3 Comparison.

Having just bought one of these bargain TomTom Ones (£224 at Argos) and used it frequently over a couple of days - I thought I'd stir up a hornet's nest and post a comparison to the Garmin i3 I have been running for a while.

Please note - these are just my views - not necessarily facts!

Screen/display - the i3 maps are smoother and nicer to look at (the One's are a bit jagged) BUT the One's are larger and the touch screen is very useful compared to the i3's fiddly (but functional) scroll wheel. I like the ability to 'invert' the screen on the One. One wins.

POIs - the i3 only warns when over the limit and displays what the limit is, the One always warns you and doesn't show the speed limit. Also the Garmin POI loader is easier to use - virtually automatic. i3 wins.

Mount - the One mount is HIDEOUS. It is very large- you need the 'invert' screen facility because the mount sometimes has to be upside down, and it is very fiddly with silly knobs to adjust and it is very stiff to put on and off. The i3 mount is very fast, smooth and exceptionaly easy to adjust. This is an issue for me because I keep switching between cars. i3 wins.

Maps/routing - a mixed bag here. The One's routing is the best by far - it uses the routes you'd choose if you knew all the best routes whereas the i3 can choose some very odd (and slow) ones.

Despite reviews to the contrary - they both are as likely as each other to tell you to turn around. Don't believe the reviews that tell you the One doesn't.

Looking at speed to re-calculate routes the One outstrips the i3 easilly - the One is near instant but the i3 can go into a state of madness - constantly 'recalculating' as it can be so slow you have passed where it wanted you to turn before its finished calculating.

The One's 'detour' function is also superb and has the ability to pick the distance to avoid. My i3's detour function was tested on a motorway and sent me off the motorway then back to the point I left it at after several miles of a detour!

Turning to what I suspect is a 'map source issue' - the One's maps often show one route whilst giving different verbal commands - such as a routed right fork with a verbal instruction to keep left, and they 'miscount' the exits from roundabouts by counting one road twice if the road has a seperating island or central res - it therefore frequently says (for example) "take the Fifth exit" whilst displaying (and meaning) the second.

This is very odd, and no test that I have seen has ever mentioned this - but it is my experience. I presume this is a 'mapping' error. My i3 has never given contradictory verbal and display commands. I'd say One wins routing, i3 wins maps.

Signal Lock - That SirfIII set in the One is great. My i3 goes mad in town with a treated screen - the One holds a stready lock. One wins.

Overall- I'd say the two are pretty even bearing in mind the price gap. The One is a more refined and better specified device, slightly hindered by some mapping defects (though it uses its maps better) and that horrible mount. Whereas the i3 is superb for the money - and that £60 saving is important to many who only want basic navigating.

On balance I'd go for the One and pay the difference now Argos do it (temporarily?) for £224 - and that is the choice I have made. But don't feel bad if you have the i3 - its great too - want to buy mine?
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good review/comparison!

A guy at work got the one today and brought it over. The view is definitely a lot less pretty than the i3, but the route calculation speed blew the i3 away (I assume it's got a faster processor, more memory?) and it got a fix on 3 sats using no external aerial within 30 seconds of being turned on straight from the box. An i3 with external aerial sitting next to it only had 2 sats.

Both doing the same route from work came up with the same, weird route to leave work - a route you'd never choose to take - a left turn then almost around the block one full time instead of a right turn.

The UK female voice on the one isn't as nice as the one on the i3, though it has a male one which sounded good. US male/female ones were greyed out as they weren't loaded off the CD.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 37 of 39

Jump to: