Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New SatNav Voices Website Launches
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New SatNav Voices Website Launches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: New SatNav Voices Website Launches Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThe ability to customise your navigation product has proved a very popular feature, in particular TomTom's products can utilise custom map colours, splash screens POIs and voices.

It is already possible to buy custom replacement voices for TomTom, the quality has varied from very poor to TomTom's excellent John Cleese but now SatNav Voices are launching a new website with a range of quality voices to choose from.

As a novel and sure to be popular addition they are also offering a service where they will professionally record your voice or that of a family member and create a voice pack from it. So you could give the grandparents a GO for Christmas with their grandchildren providing the navigation voice!

The website can be found at www.satnavvoices.com and the voices can be bought on-line.

Here's the full Press Release
Quote:
Satnavvoices.com Press Release Saturday 22nd October 2005
For Immediate Release

After 12 months research and development www.satnavvoices.com is proud to launch its unique range of quality voice downloads for the TomTom satellite navigation product range. www.satnavvoices.com offers an impressive range of highly entertaining voices with characters ranging from the hilarious Farmer Tom to a very risqué sexy female voice called Sabrina! You can hear voice samples of all of the characters available on the website www.satnavvoices.com.

The voice range is expanding every day and even offers the public an opportunity to record their own voice and have it custom made into their very own TomTom voice, This service is already proving to be hugely popular with parents wanting their children to guide them around and also enables people to record navigation commands with their own personal sense of humour to ease the stress of their daily journeys.

Prices range from just £2.99 with the most expensive being £4.99, this means that www.satnavvoices.com are already selling at half the price of any competitors. The product quality is also superior with all voices being recorded in professional digital broadcast quality studios, a high proportion of the voices available also contain custom made music and sound effects to further enhance the entertainment provided by the product. Each voice arrives with a custom made image which displays on your TomTom screen, these images are exclusive to www.satnavvoices.com and have been created by the graphic artist Alex Phillips.

Satnavvoices.com are also pleased to announce Marc Silk as the major provider of content for the website. Marc is one of this country’s leading voiceover talents with Star Wars, Chicken Run, Johnny Bravo and Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway being just a small selection of the clients that have used this phenomenal voice talent. Marc is working on a massive range of completely exclusive and unique character voices for satnavvoices.com that will ensure we are the leading force in satellite navigation entertainment.

Buying a voice for your TomTom satellite navigation system couldn’t be simpler, just log on to www.satnavvoices.com listen to the samples and choose the voices you want to buy, once the purchase is complete your voices will be emailed to your computer with full instructions on how to install them on your satellite navigation system, should you be unsure of the process at any stage then our support service will be pleased to help you at any stage.

Last edited by Darren on Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally underwhelming. Apart from being imprecise (God Nav"Straight over the roundabout, fourth exit"), too long (White Van Nav takes twelve words to give a direction six words long) and unusual English (Nervous Nav "Turn sharply right...") the choice of voices is strange e.g. Grandad Nav...?

I want my directions read clearly, concisely and precisely; none of these come close for me.

The only thing I found mildly intersting is the Audi night scheme and then only because I drive one. Maybe I'll buy it one year but it's not often I drive at night without knowing where I'm going.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair these voices are not aimed as replacements for the standard voice set, they are novelty voices for occasional use. If tou want clear, concide intructions just stick with the supplied voice files.
woody67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! Is going the same way as those "crazy, fun" ringtones?

Shall we expect the Crazy Frog voice guide to be advertised all night for a week on ITV?

These are funny for about ...... well the time it takes to complete the turn.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woody67 wrote:
Oh no! Is going the same way as those "crazy, fun" ringtones?

Shall we expect the Crazy Frog voice guide to be advertised all night for a week on ITV?

These are funny for about ...... well the time it takes to complete the turn.

As long as that...?

I don't think they're funny at all but maybe I should be on Grumpy Old Men. To me it's another example of "if you can't sell quality, sell crap - some idiot will buy it."
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Totally underwhelming. Apart from being imprecise (God Nav"Straight over the roundabout, fourth exit"), too long (White Van Nav takes twelve words to give a direction six words long) and unusual English (Nervous Nav "Turn sharply right...") the choice of voices is strange e.g. Grandad Nav...?

I want my directions read clearly, concisely and precisely; none of these come close for me.

Then don't buy them! And about being imprecise, straight over the roundabout, fourth exit (or third for that matter) is exactly the same as the standard Jane says on my Tomtom.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a listen to the Celebrity voices, they are appalling, made up from different bits of different voices, I would be embarrassed to have released such rubbish on a pay site.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Then don't buy them! And about being imprecise, straight over the roundabout, fourth exit (or third for that matter) is exactly the same as the standard Jane says on my Tomtom.

Obviously I won't be reaching for my credit card....

The example quoted is also a fault of the original TT5 voices; passengers in my car hearing Jane for the first time often tell me her instructions are wrong at roundabouts. Some value might have been given to these new ones by correcting any imprecise instructions.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Darth Vader voice i heard was terrible.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
the Darth Vader voice i heard was terrible.

Which is not a voice from SatNavVoices, that was created by a user.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
I just had a listen to the Celebrity voices, they are appalling, made up from different bits of different voices, I would be embarrassed to have released such rubbish on a pay site.

Which voice were you listening to?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this site trying to have a laugh or something? Surely they cannot be serious?

£2.99 for a colour scheme which you could probably knock up in colour style editor in a matter of minutes, and they aren't that good either. I've seen much better ones available for free.

A fool and their money and all that..
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an example of a better colour scheme made by yourself? I would love to test-drive it.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Do you have an example of a better colour scheme made by yourself? I would love to test-drive it.

That's irrelevant, this is a discussion about a retail product which no one who has investigated it is impressed with.

I'd like to know who's behind it; contact details are conspicuous by their absence.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

That's irrelevant, this is a discussion about a retail product which no one who has investigated it is impressed with.

It is not irelevant. If somebody says that he can do better in two minutes, I would like to see some evidence of that.

Your second statement is plain silly, you cannot possibly know that. You are expressing your personal opinion and you haven't even tried a single voice. So much for your investigation.

You last question could be answered by reading the press release.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: