Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jezh wrote:

Finally get it installed in Halfords for free I did'nt and regret it.

Nothing else it's worth it. Wink

Gt it installed? - what do they do - you stick the thing on your dash or windscreen and either plug it in to the cigarette lighter or run it on batteries? what installation do they do?>?
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i3 is good ,actually for its size excellent. It would'nt be too clever to try and put a touch screen on the unit. Its only bad feature ....having to use the thumbwheel. Apart from that its great. Definitely better than Navicore and as good as Tom Tom.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..........Its only bad feature ....having to use the thumbwheel. Apart from that its great. Definitely better than Navicore and as good as Tom Tom.

I have a TomTomGo and the i3 and the i3 is definitely my favourite.
The TTG's touchscreen isn't consistent - sometimes a light touch operates it sometimes you have press quite heavily. Also when entering text you quite often get the wrong letter because of the thickness of your finger or a slight innacurracy in selecting it, plus you end up with fingerprints obscuring the screen which isn't as clear as the i3's to start with!
Of course, the above can be overcome by using a proper pointing stick instead of your finger but who wants to have to remember to carry one with you when you go anywhere?

No. For me the i3's click wheel is far superior. It's very quick and easy to use and is very positive.

I also have found the i3's (NavTeq) maps appear to more accurate and up-to-date than the TTG's maps. At least in the Lancashire/Cheshire/North Wales area that I travel around in.
fred12
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Still got problems with 2.6 firmware Reply with quote

Ok I replaced the batteries and it did not crash in 300 miles but every time I tried to do a show map on Motorway Services Custom PIO the unit briefly display map and then powered off. After a quick test it did this for any Argos PIOs but not Asda PIOs.

Have now backout 2.6 and gone back to 2.5 and customs PIOs work all ok but have lost my favorites Crying or Very sad

If any one else who has got 2.6 want to try this. As it may have been my unit.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Still got problems with 2.6 firmware Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok I replaced the batteries and it did not crash in 300 miles but every time I tried to do a show map on Motorway Services Custom PIO the unit briefly display map and then powered off. After a quick test it did this for any Argos PIOs but not Asda PIOs.

I have SpeedCams, McDonalds, Motorway Services and Asda POIs and all work fine under 2v6. (Don't know about Argos as I haven't put them on).

Have you tried installing 2v6 and then re-installing your POI's?
Jonny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Turns off when viewing map as per Fred12's post - FIXED!!! Reply with quote

Fred12: I have the same problem as you

Choose a custom point of Argos, then chose "show map", it loads a map view and then a couple of seconds later it turns off.

Ok, just been playing with this and noticed that the BMP files for Argos and Motorway services are 24bit as opposed to Asda which is only 4bit......hmmm....

The plot thickens, it appears to be turning off as it highlights the icon....

Hungry Horse also has a 24bit icon and yes, it also turns the unit off!!

Ok, just converted the Argos icon to 16bit in Photoshop, reloaded onto the i3 and it no longer turns it off!!!!

MaFt, if you read this can you convert the 24bit icons to 4bit. For some reason in Photoshop I only get 16, 24 and 32bit

Jonny

P.S. Just want to say a big thanks to all the posts on this forum, it was because of you lot that I went out and bought one today and yes I'm impressed! You'll also be pleased to know that even after upgrading to 2.6 it managed to lock up within 15mins Wink

P.P.S. Special thanks to MaFt for the all the POI's
Jonny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to MaFt if the last post sounded like a request, from what I can see MaFt didn't author the icons so it's not his job!

Well, have spent around an hour now sorting the icons out and testing them. Good old MS Paint allows you to save as a 16 (4bit) or 256 (8bit) colour file, so I've been through and changed all the 24bit icons over to 4 or 8 bit; had to completely redo the Odeon one as it just didn't work properly at either 4 or 8 bit.

I've e-mailed MaFt with the new icons to include in the POI file but if you want them seperately let just let me know and I'll zip them up and stick them on a webpage..... scrub that..... get them here if you want.......

www.wilson-it.com/files/icons.zip

Have fun!

Jonathan
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny5 wrote:

I've e-mailed MaFt with the new icons to include in the POI file but if you want them seperately let just let me know and I'll zip them up and stick them on a webpage..... scrub that..... get them here if you want.......

got the email. on training course for 2 weeks so no time to sort. will do big update on my return!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

done and updated at stupid-o-clock in the morning.!!

see y'all soon!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for all the early adopters of the i3 and C310 systems.

I have been talking to Garmin over the last week or two regarding updated maps. They have decided to offer a free upgrade for all customers with an i3 or C310.

Garmin wrote:
All Garmin i3 & C310 customers will receive a free update to V8 mapping. Customers can send their SD or MicroSD cards back to a freepost address at Garmin, along with a self addressed envelope. Garmin will update their card within 3 days, then return the card(s) to the address provided on the envelope.

Please note that this is early information and an official announcement will be made soon. Please do not contact Garmin untill they have officially announced the upgrade details.
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW great news Smile thanks for the update MikeB...hmm but can I live without my i3 for 3 or 4 days? maybe we should start a withdrawel therapy group Laughing Out Loud

Regards
Minidish
CamerAlert on Galaxy S2
Wife 4 backup
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great news mike....i've just posted in another thread that garmin usa are giving free city select upgrades to all that brought the product from june 1st this year,so it looks like garmin will be nice to us ..
chic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had my garmin for a few weeks now and i have been very impressed, yesterday it had its first big test from me, i used it to get me from scotland down to york.It passed with flying colours got me right where i was wanting, it was an industrial est i was looking for so when asked for house no i just put 0, it navigated me right to the estate and it was easy to find the unit from their. I am very happy as if i didnt have the garmin i would not have had the confidence to go myself as i am useless with maps,
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im useless at map reading aswell im hoping that although the Garmin does everything for you it will give me (and other new/young drivers) gradual confidence in their map reading and putting it into real life skills. its a useful tool.

I used it for a short distance yesterday and found it a little bit weird and intrusive. but the key is to ignore it isnt it and focues on everything else around you. im sure ill get used to it being there though!
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
thats great news mike....i've just posted in another thread that garmin usa are giving free city select upgrades to all that brought the product from june 1st this year,so it looks like garmin will be nice to us ..

Let's hope so. Jumping With Joy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 29 of 39

Jump to: