Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Guide To Creating A POI (Point Of Interest)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Guide To Creating A POI (Point Of Interest)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Guide To Creating A POI (Point Of Interest) Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
Arrow Once you have decided what you want to make a POI of (for example, Burger Kings in the UK),

so, has anyone doe this yet for the burger kings? could do witha kfc one too! all i found was mcdonalds and the kfc one was only southern Sad
Sparki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: POI Phone Number Reply with quote

Hi, good advice

Dont mean to double post (here) but not sure I put it is in the correct place, and people here seem to know what they are talking about.

The POIs built in to the TTG500 have phone numbers in them that you can call, petrol/train stations, to see/use them Menu>Mobile phone>Call>POI> pick one and call it...

Can I create POIs with phone numbers?

Thanks for any help

Sparki
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: POI Phone Number Reply with quote

Sparki wrote:
Can I create POIs with phone numbers?

Thanks for any help. Sparki

Yes, a line from the file would look something like the following, but then needs converting to ov2 format.

-1.12345, 51.12345, "Burger King - ABC Rd - 0123 123456"

You can put whatever between the "" as long as you don't make it to long.
Sparki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: POI Phone Number Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:

a line from the file would look something like the following, but then needs converting to ov2 format.

-1.12345, 51.12345, "Burger King - ABC Rd - 0123 123456"

Thanks, but this would add the number to the title or name of the POI, what I want to do is call the number from the Tomtom Go 500

Menu>Mobile phone>Call>POI> pick one and call it...

like you can with petrol stations and restraunts.

Thanks

Sparki...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22484

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Sparki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Result... Reply with quote

Thanks oldboy

Just to make clear for everyone

to create a POI with a phone number that you can call from the ttg500 and ttg700, maybe others...

I created a POI on the ttg500
Then used POItools,'dumpov2.exe'
Added the phone numbers to the end of each entry in the dumped txt file
e.g. -1.00000, 52.00000, "The Red Lion Inn>441625123456"
then rebuilt the POI using 'makeov2.exe'

Thanks for all your help

Sparki...
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Easy way to create POI's from postcodes with a map to verify Reply with quote

Hi,

I updated the postcode converter this weekend, its still messy but I'm more interested in the technology than the site design right now!

The new site now converts your postcodes into waypoints in batches of up to 50 as before, but now it integrates with google maps so you can also view your waypoints on a map, not just one of them but *all* of the waypoints you submit in a scrollable, zoomable map.

Just submit a batch of postcodes and you will be returned a URL to navigate to with your waypoints, this enables you to check them very rapidly to make sure they are where you expect.

This is the fastest way I know of converting a list of postcodes to GPS waypoints in the correct format for import into TomTom (and other tools) and now verify them too! (if I'm wrong let me know and I'll go get a life and a new project to play with)

Visit the site and try a conversion at http://ukpostcodes.boldlygoingnowhere.org/ , you will be sent the waypoints for any postcodes you submit and a URL which shows them on a map.

Alternatively have a look at the URL below which shows a sample map, with 3 waypoints, click on one for a closer view, the labels are in line with the data you submit.
http://ukpostcodes.boldlygoingnowhere.org/maps/1128936507.html

Its very new, so please bear with me if you find any bugs or dead links, I would however appreciate any feedback via this forum.

Thanks. 8)
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Spoke too soon! Reply with quote

Some users are having issues with the moment viewing the maps if using Internet Explorer. They work fine in Mozilla / FireFox, I should have done some more testing! Embarassed

I'll post an update when I have the IE issues resolved..... Rolling Eyes
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Hopefully not talking too soon! Reply with quote

I believe Confused that the Internet Explorer issues are now resolved so the maps should now work for Firefox and IE (please dont anyone mention the Safari browser!)

Anyway give the site a try, several other users have sucessfully converted between 1 and ~300 waypoints (in batches of 50). You can find it at http://ukpostcodes.boldlygoingnowhere.org/

It is the fastest way I know of converting a batch of postcodes to waypoints. (but please correct me if I'm wrong so I can stop banging my head against the wall fighting with IE :x )

the site features
o waypoints produced from uk postcodes
o batch conversion of up to 50 waypoints
o generation of GPS waypoints in Latitude / Longitude format with text name
o the output is in the correct format for direct conversion with OV2tools or WinOV2
o Your POI 's are plotted on a zoomable scrollable map
- click on a waypoint marker to zoom in close and display its label
- See a sample map here
http://ukpostcodes.boldlygoingnowhere.org/maps/
produced by submitting 3 postcodes

I would appreciate feedback from the knowledgeable folk in this forum to enable the site to be improved.

I have been asked if OSGB and UTM output could be supported but other suggestions would also be gratefully received, now that the backend is 99% functional some more effort will go into the site design so any comments about this will also be appreciated.
homestoned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Adding/Edit a POI phone number Reply with quote

Hi i have TomTom mobile 5 on my 6680,
Sometimes when i want to make a call say from any of my phonebook contacts, sometimes TT5 crashes. so i've made a POI for my girlfriend
but can i add a phone number???

Cheers Jay
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read here - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22484

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
homestoned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: POI Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, i'll check it...
hope to have some time tomorrow :P

Cheers Jay
ulujm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: POI editing Reply with quote

well boobeep the thing is that icn 520 contain already the default location of almost every store in my area.
I just want to use this default location but only change the icon.

for exemple all restaurant are located with all the same Icon so I want to be able to put a different icon according the restaurant, I don't need to change the long and lat since they are already there.
any way to edit the default icon?

thanks

ulujm
ulujm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: POI default convertion in csv Reply with quote

heu boobeep
ok here what i want to do.
navman 520icn has a pretty good POI files by default.
the problem is that I want to change the default icon.
for exemple the default icon for shop is kind of ugly and not informative.
for exemple the macDO store (i never eat macDO)
what I want to do, is to copy default POI for shop, then keep all info just for MacDo (long,Lat) and then save it as a new POI and then add this new file in my POI with the macDo incon.
in this case I'll have all my macDo store at the right location but with his Icon.
does it make sense?
is it possible to extract the default POI file (CHK, BM, MAP) and convert in a csv?
I did once POI by puttin a csv file and the bitmap file in my navman. it look like navman convert them in CHK, BM, MAP files. SO I guess it's possible to do it in other way.
help
thanks
ulujm
stevedbentley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm hoping this post will be considered a link to a useful resource rather than spam Smile

I've been messing about with the Google Maps API and I've created a way to use a Google map to create POI files for Garmin and TomTom, and although I made it mainly to satisfy a personal need, I've tidied it up and made it freely available online to anyone who might find it useful

http://www.autopoilot.co.uk

All feedback gratefully received.

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: