Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I be tracked if using Tom Tom or similar?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I be tracked if using Tom Tom or similar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Can I be tracked if using Tom Tom or similar? Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone advise of the following?

If I start using a Tom Tom or similar GPS SatNav system as supplied by my company for work, will they be able to track my movements using GPS?

If so, how would this work?

Shad.
intertoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shadwell,

Currently TomTom does not allow your position to be tracked by a third party. It is purely for Navigation from A-B, and in this it excels.

There is a product on the market that will support tracking of a user. This is ALK's CoPilot Live 5. There are some excellent highly technical capabilities with this software. Tracking is one of them, it does incur an extra charge and requires a bluetooth mobile phone connected to a PDA or a Smartphone solution.

There are currently no all-in-one GPS units that can be tracked, although with TomTom GO units utilising Mobile phones to relay traffic and weather information it can't be too far away

Jonathan Bowes
Product Manager
www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

YooNoo Ltd
shadwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the help...
Samba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry, as by law a company must let you know they have the means to track you, if they dont (most companys will) they are not allowed to act on the infomation they receive, so you will have them by the short and curleys if they do.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's not quite true. They are tracking the asset (i.e. the vehicle) and not the driver.

Where is the GPS feed for the TomTom coming from? Do you have a TomTom GO, or is it running on a PDA? If it's on a PDA, it could feasibly be getting the GPS feed from a tracking unit.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Actually, that's not quite true. They are tracking the asset (i.e. the vehicle) and not the driver.

Where is the GPS feed for the TomTom coming from? Do you have a TomTom GO, or is it running on a PDA? If it's on a PDA, it could feasibly be getting the GPS feed from a tracking unit.

Surely if the GPS setup in the vehicle is PASSIVE, IE receiving the GPS Signal only then it is impossible for anyone to track it.

On the other hand, if the vehicle GPS setup is ACTIVE, IE transmitting info (data) via some form to radio transmitter (Cellphone/commercial 2 way/repeater/data transmitter etc)
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, hence my question about the GPS feed. If it is just a standard GPS-mouse type receiver then there is no problem, however it is also possible that the PDA could get it's feed from a telematics unit, and that would provide tracking information (usually via sms/gprs or radio).
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company doens't need TomTom or a PDA to track you. GPS trackers are normally hidden from view, in the trunk etc, with some concealed antennas both for receiving the GPS signal and for sending the position to the base.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
The company doens't need TomTom or a PDA to track you. GPS trackers are normally hidden from view, in the trunk etc, with some concealed antennas both for receiving the GPS signal and for sending the position to the base.

Granted, but the original question was in reference to Tomtom or similar gps supplied by his company.

After a majority of my life having a steering wheel as a desk, I can understand the query (Thinks: "will the boss know I am off territory?" or "will he twig that the car has been parked outside the cinema all afternoon?" et al....
Wink Wink Wink
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that context the clear answer is NO. GPS is PASSIVE. Nothing gets sent.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still comes back to my point about where the GPS feed is coming from. I work in tracking (but not for much longer), and we commonly connect our tracking unit (which is of course hidden away) to a PDA to provide the driver with sat-nav using TomTom.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I be tracked if using Tom Tom or similar? Reply with quote

The other thing to remember is that many Sat Nav systems record a tracklog with speed, time and location. This tracklog is saved on the local system but it may be possible that someone (your employer or even the Police) could review this log at a later date.

You can usually switch track logging off though.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I be tracked if using Tom Tom or similar? Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
The other thing to remember is that many Sat Nav systems record a tracklog with speed, time and location. This tracklog is saved on the local system but it may be possible that someone (your employer or even the Police) could review this log at a later date.

You can usually switch track logging off though.

Hi Skippy - are you Nelson or one of the pigeons?
Wink
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I be tracked if using Tom Tom or similar? Reply with quote

Donald wrote:
Hi Skippy - are you Nelson or one of the pigeons?
Wink

Hmmm, maybe I should add a height to the lat/lon. Joker

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: