Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - URGENT: Virus Alert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

URGENT: Virus Alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicknick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: URGENT: Virus Alert Reply with quote

Luckily I don't use OE for my Email, I use an internet based one (talk21 - free from BT) and have no 'contacts list' which means if I did open a virus it would have no one to send to.

If it is spoofing Peter's Email then it could be someone who has mine as well which would be a number of people here - so anyone who has both mine and Peter's Email addresses in their contacts please check their PC for a virus.

nicknick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: URGENT: Virus Alert Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Movie

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:45:20 +0100

To: <nick.williams@talk21.com>

Cc:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please see the attached zip file for details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

your_details.zip

I don't know if anyone else got this EMail, but it is a virus

See this link

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Nick, I don't believe this has come from us. What happens is the latest viruses will pick contacts out of peoples local address books in Outlook or Outlook Express and send out email with viruses known emails on address lists found on the internet and spoof the FROM address to someone in peoples contact lists. What this most probably means is someone has Peter's address in their contact list, and they have the Sobig virus on their PC.

I'm 99% sure it hasn't come from Peter as I know I'm in his address book and he's been sending me email all day today and I haven't received one virus alert on Norton AntiVirus 2003.

These newer viruses are quickly becoming the scurge of the internet and are getting worse than spammers. You used to be able to tell if someone had a virus because it came from them, now with all this spoofing and internal smtp mail engines in viruses, you're never sure where the virus is really coming from. We've received viruses ourselves from reviews@pocketgpsworld.com but this is just a forwarding email address and nobody has access to send via this email address.

Viruses are a real PITA!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

BTW, I will check with Peter just to clarify, but I'm pretty sure he's clean.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: