Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin verses tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin verses tomtom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cards
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Garmin verses tomtom Reply with quote

I think I want to buy the Garmin Quest for in car nav in UK although the tomtoms look good. Is it worth paying extra for points of interest and/or bluetooth?
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi "cards". I would ask you, do you really need a quest? The garmin C320 has the same screen size as the tomtom, with points of interest.

The garmin does not have bluetooth support for TMC/mobile phones, but I guess you have to decide if you need these.
cards
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers"Rossb" How light is the garmin C320? I need something fairly lightweight so that I can and carry it around (into meetings etc) and so that it doesn't get nicked
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a trade off.

The C320 is quite bulky, and awkwardly shaped like a little TV. Sad
The C320 has a touch screen. Smile
The Quest has a smallish non-touch screen. Sad
The Quest is flat like a mobile phone and slips into you pocket. Smile
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C320 weighs about 300grams, about 1/10 the weight of a laptop. I carry my C320 with me to work in a rucksack. I have on occasion used it for navigation while walking, on occasions where I was late for a meeting, and did not have time to print off a paper map.

It is fair to say the C320 is bulkier than a Quest, but you get the benefit of a bigger touch screen, and virtual keyboard, which is much faster for inputting street names. You also get 3d graphics, and stereo sound like the tomtom. I think the C320 is a good reliable choice.
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: go for the Garmin c320 Reply with quote

One other advantage that the c320 has over the Quest is the fact that it DOESN'T come with any memory built-in.

With the c320, if the future maps get larger than the supplied card, you just get a bigger card! It is feasible that in the future there will be a lot more data supplied per square km than at the present (more infor about restaurants, hotels, traffic restrictions, speed and red light cameras, etc.). With no expansion slot on the Quest, you will either have to download smaller areas onto the unit more often (which could become a pain), or you will have to upgrade your GPS!

Just one more thing to take into account... :-)
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that, the versatility of the Quest is certainly not to be overlooked! Smile

Ask yourself how often you will actually use it on foot or in other environments than in the car. If portability is really important to you, then the Quest is the logical choice.

Buy both, then send me the one that you don't like. :D
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAK, the screen on these 320's, is it the same type as on the Quest, i.e. does it work well in bright sunlight as the Quest does?

Thanks
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berisford wrote:
DAK, the screen on these 320's, is it the same type as on the Quest, i.e. does it work well in bright sunlight as the Quest does?

Thanks

Berisford,

I went to the store and played with both of those units yesterday, then picked up the c320. My reason: I will be using it in my car 99% of the time. The Quest is nice, but the display IS small, especially if you're planning to use it in the car.

As far as screen brightness, both units are nice and bright, and I had no problem reading the instructions on the screen on either unit. The c320 screen is smooth rather than matte, so it has to be angled so that the light does not reflect in your eyes. I would note this as the only minor niggle, but I'm sure that Garmin had a reason for doing it this way. On thhe positive side, the touch screen is very nice and easy to use, I would say it is more responsive than the screen on the StreetPilot 2610 (Garmin's premium unit), but then that screen IS matte and does not reflect light... Smile The smooth screen on the c320 is not a problem if you use the suction mount supplied, since you can angle it so that light does not reflect into your eyes.

The c320 is also much easier to use on the road, with adresses easily typed in using the touch screen. Entering details is a bit of a pain on the Quest, and not really doable while driving (you should not do this anyway, but it can be done wiith the c320 much more safely). Combined with the reasons I listed in previous posts in this thread, choosing the c320 was easy!

Although the c320 is larger than the Quest, the cable is hardwired to the suction mount, NOT the unit itself, so the c320 can still be used for navigation on foot without too much trouble. This was another plus for the c320 IMO (plus I have the eTrex for really portable navigation in the sticks).

I've now used the c320 all day yesterday and today, and have never had a problem seeing the screen in sunlight (it's winter here, but the sun still gets bright! :D). Overall, I'm VERY happy with the c320!
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that macnoodle.

The reason I ask is that the Quest screen seems to shrug of any sunlight whereas the 2610's are impossible in the sun esp. on a motorcycle.
cards
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all - looks like the C320 is the one for mejavascript:emoticon('Laughing')
Laughing
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to consider the UK version of the new Streetpilot i3.

Full Postcode Search, Full UK and Ireland mapping out-of-the-box, with full European maps included on CD in the box; POI/Speed Camera warnings.

It does have a smaller screen than the Tom Tom, and it's not touchscreen - but it's a lot cheaper than the Tom Tom 500.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: