Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS to find our way back to parked car?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS to find our way back to parked car?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woolygums
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: GPS to find our way back to parked car? Reply with quote

I have sophisticated car navigation systems to find all sorts of routes and points of interest. No problems there!

However my wife and I like to travel and walk around new places. Often when we are in another city, we get "turned around" and lost.

We need a simple GPS to help us find our way back to the parked car or hotel. We can set a waypoint when we leave I know how to do that!

Maybe a "breadcrumbs" trail?

Small enough to fit in pocket.

Would like to have the WAAS or better accuracy. Rechargeable or AA replaceable batteries.

Would be good to have capability in foreign cities (European, Indonesian, Asia, China, Japan)

Thanks
Bill
Atlanta Georgia
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought any handheld GPS would be suitable for this particular application. You don't need a breadcrumb trail because you will probably want to take the most direct route back rather than retracing your steps. You don't need WAAS because you should be able to see your car/hotel etc long before that kind of accuracy would be relevant.

I currently use a Garmin Geko 301 to make sure I can find wherever I left my car. Switch on, mark the car's position, switch off and put the GPS away. *IF* I should lose my bearings I then get the GPS out switch on and follow the arrow via the most direct route allowing for going around instead of through buildings. Works anywhere in the world because you don't need topographical maps, just the bearing indicator.
woolygums
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Geko looks good Reply with quote

Guess that you are right about not needing the 'breadcrumbs' unless we were hiking in the woods and that is not something I enjoy.

I do want sensitivity as tall buildings sometimes block GPS signals.

So the Geko looks good and does have the WAAS. Probably don't need that kind of accuracy, however it does seem like a nice feature.

Anyone else have a recomendation? and Thanks for the reply, Kam

Bill
Lost in Atlanta
woolygums
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not edit my post, so I will add this on. Since battery life is relatively short, I like the kind of GPS that can be powered down after a waypoint has been set. Do need that feature if it is not common to all handhelds.

I like also the AA or AAA batteries since if the power goes down, they are easily replaceable about anywhere.
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom will do this set up a new POI and log it under "GPS LOCATION" and then plot a walking route back.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Geko looks good Reply with quote

woolygums wrote:
I do want sensitivity as tall buildings sometimes block GPS signals.

Bill,

Be careful not to confuse sensitivity with accuracy. WAAS is about positional accurancy. This is not the same as receiver sensitivity. I am very happy with my Geko for the way I use it, but I know that there are more sensitive receivers available now, and have for example used a more sensitive TomTom Bluetooth receiver for in-car navigation.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: