Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin iQue M5 and European Map Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin iQue M5 and European Map Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbasel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Garmin iQue M5 and European Map Software Reply with quote

I am interested in buying the Garmin iQue M5 which comes with complete with the MapSource City Select North America mapping software. I also want to buy European mapping software, but am disappointed in the fact that Garmin's City Select Europe software has limited coverage in some countries that I want, e.g., Spain, Portugal, and a few others.

I would like to know if any of you have recommendations for mapping software that has street level mapping for all countries in Western Europe. In other words, one package that has all western European countries (street level mapping) that will function on the Garmin platform, specifically, the M5.

I really like the look of ViaMichelin Navigation Europe maps which looks as if it meets my criteria, but I can't tell if it will work on the Garmin iQue M5.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Paul
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin iQue M5 and European Map Software Reply with quote

Paulbasel wrote:
I also want to buy European mapping software, but am disappointed in the fact that Garmin's City Select Europe software has limited coverage in some countries that I want, e.g., Spain, Portugal, and a few others.

City Select v7 is about as good as it gets unfortunately.

There are two map suppliers Navteq (used by Garmin, CoPilot, Mapopolis and others) and TeleAtlas (used by TomTom and others).

I don't think that either of them provide full coverage of Spain, Portugal, Ireland or any of Eastern Europe but the latest versions of the maps have large cities and major roads mapped.
Paulbasel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy, thanks for the prompt reply.

When I read the online information about the European map coverage (specifically, street level mapping) from Teletype and Michelin, it appears that these two packages cover ALL western European countries, unlike City Select Europe from Garmin.

Am I not seeing some information about their coverage or do you know for a fact that no supplier has street level mapping of all of western Europe?

Paul
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulbasel wrote:
When I read the online information about the European map coverage (specifically, street level mapping) from Teletype and Michelin, it appears that these two packages cover ALL western European countries, unlike City Select Europe from Garmin.

Hmm, all the GPS stuff I use has Navteq maps so I couldn't say for 100% sure. I am almost certain that no one has 100% coverage of Ireland though.

The impression I got was that the TeleAtlas coverage of Spain and Portugal was not 100% either

Michellin do road maps but I don't think they are suitable for use with a GPS which requires vector maps with road clasifications and restrictions encoded into them.

I could be completely wrong, of course! Can a TomTom user check out the coverage for us?

Oh, and Welcome by the way!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having what I believe to be the latest NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas maps for Spain and Portugal, NAVTEQ appear to be "streets ahead" Laughing in terms of coverage.
Paulbasel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I am new to this forum and to GPS navigation and am rapidly growing more grey hair as I attempt to wind my way thru this mire of new technology.

Quote:
Michellin do road maps but I don't think they are suitable for use with a GPS which requires vector maps with road clasifications and restrictions encoded into them.

Here's what Michelin states about their product:

Covering all of Europe (over 100,000 towns), the ViaMichelin navigation Software is a mapping software coupled with an advanced route calculation function and voice guidance. Used with a GPS* receiver, your PDA is transformed into a personal on-board navigation system in your car, with detailed maps and route plans displayed on your PDA screen, all in real-time. http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/shopexd.asp?catalogID=316

Wouldn't it have to be vector-based if they claim all of this?

As a requirement for PPCs they state: "* The GPS function requires an NMEA 2.0 compatible GPS module, based on Datum WGS84."

Does the iQue M5 (PPC based) meet this criterion? I really don't know after reading the following:

In the FAQs of Garmin, they state: "Unlike most of our GPS units, the iQue does not output NMEA data, which is often used for real-time tracking and autopilot systems." However, there are no FAQs that deal with the M5 (it's too new, I guess), only with the iQue 3200 and 3600 which run on Palm OS.

Do you know if the PPC M5 outputs NMEA data? If not, I'll try to get it from Garmin support.

Thanks again for hanging in there with me.

Paul
Paulbasel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Having what I believe to be the latest NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas maps for Spain and Portugal, NAVTEQ appear to be "streets ahead" Laughing in terms of coverage.

Tim, can you tell me if the NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas maps function with the iQue M5? If so, what websites (suppliers, etc) have the latest specs. for these maps.

Also, do you have the names of commercial packages along with their version numbers (of the latest maps you referred to)?

Thanks,

Paul
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NAVTEQ maps are supplied with Garmin CitySelect V7, so probably the same maps as come with the M5. The TeleAtlas maps are from Navman SmartST V3.

I don't know if the Navman software and maps will work on the M5 as I know nothing about that device, but if it is a PPC with a 'non-locked' receiver then there shouldn't be a problem.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulbasel wrote:
Wouldn't it have to be vector-based if they claim all of this?

I had a quick look though Michelin's website and when you zoom in far enough to see the streets, you see a © Tele Atlas appear at the bottom of the map!

Paulbasel wrote:
Thanks for the welcome. I am new to this forum and to GPS navigation and am rapidly growing more grey hair as I attempt to wind my way thru this mire of new technology.

Yes, it is a bit of a minefield and there is no easy answer.

The first thing to understand is that Tele Atlas and Navteq are wholesale suppliers of maps. They supply the map data to the likes of Garmin, ALK, TomTom, Mapopolis, viaMichelin etc. They don't sell sat nav systems of their own through the retail channels.

You could go for a Garmin M5, but I am not sure if you can run a third party GPS mapping program like TomTom (Tele Atlas) on it if you decide you don't like the Garmin (Navteq) street mapping program. Does anyone know if the likes of TomTom will run on the M5?

If you want maximum flexibility to use maps from different suppliers, then you should probably go for a Pocket PC and a GPS receiver.

You can then shop around for the street mapping program you want, based on the quality of the maps for the areas that are important to you and other features like traffic and speed camera alerts. If at some time in the future you want to switch to a different street mapping program then you can.

All that said, Navteq maps are pretty good and the Garmin units like the StreetPilot and GPS-V that I have used are pretty good, though I have not used the M5.

You should bear in mind that satnav systems are far from perfect. They will occasionally try and route you the wrong way up one-way streets, tell you to do a U-turn where you can't, send you the long way around, not be able to find the address you enter or have out-of-date or incomplete maps. Overall, they are fantastic but be prepared for a few quirks and limitations!
Paulbasel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

Many thanks for the response. Here's what Garmin's tech support (just received) had to say about the compatability of the M5 with other vendors' software:

"Currently, no SDK (Software Developers Kit) has been released to third party vendors, however, this is forthcoming and once released will allow other mapping vendors to produce maps for the M5 that will work with it's built in GPS. The built in GPS is far from generic, it is a Garmin GPS Unit and therefore will only work with Garmin mapping at this time. Given that they have not tested it (according to their statement) I can conclude that it more than likely will not function at this time."

I guess I'll stick with the Garmin mapping software should I buy this device.

Paul
Paulbasel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Skippy

Quote:
You could go for a Garmin M5, but I am not sure if you can run a third party GPS mapping program like TomTom (Tele Atlas) on it if you decide you don't like the Garmin (Navteq) street mapping program.

Confirmed by Garmin tech support. See my last post to Tim.

Quote:
If you want maximum flexibility to use maps from different suppliers, then you should probably go for a Pocket PC and a GPS receiver.

Exactly what I was thinking. I guess I'll have to start researching iPaqs and the like to see if they fit within my budget and other requirements. Either that or stay with the decision to buy the M5 (a sweet little device) and just live with the incompleteness of the European maps.

Quote:
You should bear in mind that satnav systems are far from perfect.

My son-in-law is somewhat of a power user of handheld GPS systems (Destinator2 on iMate PPC phone edition with an EMTAC receiver) and he has told me the same stories about map imperfections and routing problems. I'm not looking for perfection, just the most comprehensive system available today for very little money. Smile

Thanks again guys for all your help, much appreciated. And now, the search goes on.

Paul
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the m5 and use tomtom 3 i have tryed tomtom 5 but it keeps losing gps for a few seconds every few mins tt3 works fine alongside checkpoint Laughing any one want reviews honest opinions just ask Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: