Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin iQue M5 -or- GPS 10? (kind of long)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin iQue M5 -or- GPS 10? (kind of long)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rambler358
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Garmin iQue M5 -or- GPS 10? (kind of long) Reply with quote

Having been a Palm user for the past 3 years and currently with a Palm T3, I'm looking to move over to PPC with a PDA/GPS combination. I was using TTN4 on the T3, and am not too happy with its capabilities. I also hear that TTN5 is not that great of an improvement. So instead of forking over the upgrade fee for TTN5, I'll just go ahead and get a more capable combination.

I already have an old Garmin StreetPilot, and am familiar with using the MapSource MetroGuide software. I liked having the ability to download maps, routes and waypoints from my PC to the GPS. But the old StreetPilot doesn't have color or auto-routing, and I want a GPS/PDA combo. So I think I want the Garmin GPS and mapping. I like the ingegration of the iQue M5 device, but I hear its screen gets washed out in daylight, and I'm planning to use this on my motorcycle. I also don't know (or Garmin at this point) if the M5 will be compatible with the Windows Mobile 5.0 update that's coming at the end of this year, or early next. Another option is Garmin's GPS 10 to add to a PPC device. I was thinking of using it with Dell's X50V, which I'd get a free update to Windows Mobile 5.0 when it's available. This latter option would be more expensive, and less integrated however.

So I thought I'd ask the masses here and get some opionions and insight? Any info or guidance would be appreciated.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my GPS10 and the Que software on my PPC but one limitation I knew nothing about until I tried it is that it isn't possible to download routes which have been generated on the PC to the PPC. Maps and Waypoints, no problem, but not routes. Sad I got an email from a Garmin bod today and he told me he'd forwarded my suggestion to their design team.
Rambler358
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I really like my GPS10 and the Que software on my PPC but one limitation I knew nothing about until I tried it is that it isn't possible to download routes which have been generated on the PC to the PPC. Maps and Waypoints, no problem, but not routes. Sad I got an email from a Garmin bod today and he told me he'd forwarded my suggestion to their design team.

Wow - that could be a deal breaker for me on the GPS 10. Do you happen to know if the same limitation exists on the iQue M5? This capability existed on my old StreetPilot, I wonder why they didn't include this in the GPS 10? 8O Thanks for the info.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bike use, you might want to have a look at the Street Pilot 2610 or Quest which are both waterproof. Unless you really want a PDA....
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rambler, haven't got a clue. It could be worth asking Sales Support.
Rambler358
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Skippy - yeah, I want a PDA as I carry one around all the time. I'll call Garmin and see if this issue exists with the iQue M5.

Ron
grmd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambler358 wrote:
Do you happen to know if the same limitation exists on the iQue M5?

I recently asked about this, being somewhat miffed to find I couldn't upload routes to my PPC & GPS 10 combination but I could have done so if I'd bought a Quest.

The answer I received is that 'no routes can be loaded to any "Que" application'.

Since most of these products must be using intrinsically the same software, I'd guess they took out the facility out of the PDA-based products, seeing the issue as being one of market segmentation ...
Wesley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was disappointed to discover this as well.

And it looks like this might also be the case for the new Quest2, although I'm still waiting to hear back from Garmin. But it looks like you might not be able to upload routes from your PC to it either Sad

This has been a stumbling block for me as I try to decide on what GPS to get.

I too looked at the GPS 10 with a Dell and now I'm trying to figure out if a Dell plus non-Garmin software is the way to go, but I can't tell which programs allow you to layout routes on a PC and then upload them. It seems like all the software is geared towards auto-routing or laying out routes on the device itself.

If anybody has any suggestions of PPC software that also has MetroGuide-like PC abilities, I'm all ears.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: